• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget replacement

Sako man

profesional dilettante
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2012
    Galactic Sector ZZ9 Alpha Xray Plural.
    I load my 260 and 308 with Varget. It's been my go to powder. However shortages have been shitty. Anyone recommend a good equivalent powder that available and fairly temperature independent.

Thanks!

I bought a few pounds of IMR 8208 for the 308 and 223. Haven't tried it yet in 308, but it seems to be getting good reviews, especially with the 155.5 Bergers. I loaded it in 223/55gr bullets through a progressive and got excellent accuracy.

Also IMR 4064 would be a good choice. Seems to be intermittently available.

I second IMR 4064. Took it out to 1000M the other weekend. Going to be messing around with it more, trying to build consistency in the 800-1000M range.

Varget has been available here in MT for a few months now. $23 to $28 per pound. ALL I have seen are 1# cans unfortunately.

I may be headed to NoCal in three weeks, Fairfield area...OP where Ya at??

Xbr8208 is pretty good. Even looks like mini varget kernels. Probably
    Just as hard to get though. I have been seeing powder pretty reasonable on gunbroker. 8lb jugs under $200. Of course most charge hazmat. Some just ship it reg ground though.

Viht 140 is a very close equivalent and is used a lot here in the UK instead of Varget. For .260 I use N160 which performs very similarly to H4350.

I picked up a couple pounds ea of IMR 8208 XBR and IMR 4064 at Powder Valley this past weekend. Can't wait to try the stuff in my 308 loads (155 Nosler CC).

Reloader 15 and Varget might as well be erased from reloading manuals of the world. Ridiculous how hard that shit is to find. I've got Norma 203-B that is very similar to both. It's a liiiiitle less temp stable but I don't really see how that matters unless you're shooting in the satan's ass crack hot desert sun where it's over 110 degrees or your shooting in the freezing cold winter when it's in the 30s and below. South West Ammo uses H4895, IMR 4064 and IMR 8208xbr in their 168s, 175s and 178s so take a look at those. I also have VV N540 which is what Sierra uses for their 175 smk accuracy load but it's a slower powder in the 2500 range so getting to 1000 will be harder.

I'm low on varget also, but had a about 5 pounds of accurate 4350 I wasn't using, so I am going to try it in my 308 bolt. I have heard a lot of negatives about it in a 308, but also a lot of people saying it was very accurate, but didn't have the speeds of varget and similar powders. Not a big deal with me, this gun is shot mainly 500 and in and my 243 is long gone so I will not be using the 4350 for anything else. Nosler manual shows start at 46gr and 2502 fps and max at 50gr ar 2792 fps. I loaded up some once fired black hills brass with 46gr and nosler 168 custom comps and will be trying it out in the next week or so.

Varget shows up in small batches around my area, but I haven't seen r15 in a long time, but constantly on the lookout for both.

I keep reading that the H4064 is more temp stable VS. IMR4064. Not sure what that means but I'm inclined to go with the less temp sensitive stuff when possible. But it all depends on what stuff I can get…?

I've heard that too. I'm sure it is. Hodgdon has their extreme powders, but I thought that Hodgdon owned, or they were both owned by the same company? I was curious if IMR had something similar to Hodgdon's extreme powders.

I keep reading that the H4064 is more temp stable VS. IMR4064.

There is no such powder; H-4064. Hodgdon has a few of the same numbered powders as IMR does (4227,4895,4350 & 4831), but 4064 is not one of them. Hodgdon's "Extreme" line of powders are less temperature sensitive than the IMR counterparts. The loading data for the powders are not interchangeable

There is no such powder; H-4064. Hodgdon has a few of the same numbered powders as IMR does (4227,4895,4350 & 4831), but 4064 is not one of them. Hodgdon's "Extreme" line of powders are less temperature sensitive than the IMR counterparts. The loading data for the powders are not interchangeable

Good info.

There is no real straight up substitute for powders unless they are the same formula (OEM) and come from the same batch but you can try R15
    and H4895 but in the 260 only for the lighter bullets. For heavier bullets you need a slower powder, specially with the 260 the R15 is on the fast side too.
    R17 will also work with heavy for caliber rounds but is not at versatile as R15 for the 308w.

Check the burn rates chart and compare with others. Also check AA powders like AA4350 for the 260.
    N540 is also a versatile powder.

Take the burn rate charts with a grain of salt and verify with the reloading manual and other data.
    I am sure you will find several in stock that will fit your needs.

Burn Rate

Powder Burn Rates

http://www.lapua.com/upload/reloading/reloadingburningratechart2011.pdf

Hodgdon
    Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

Accurate..
    http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_7-2-13.pdf

Alliant
    Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

Vihtavuori
    Products - Lapua

I hope this helps
    Good luck.

Check the burn rates chart and compare with others. Also check AA powders like AA4350 for the 260.
    N540 is also a versatile powder.

Take the burn rate charts with a grain of salt and verify with the reloading manual and other data.
    I am sure you will find several in stock that will fit your needs.

I hope this helps
    Good luck.

Interesting but seems like everyone is out of RL15. But yes looks like for 260 4350 is very popular. Personally I have been using Varget and gotten excellent .5moa accuracy and high 2700 to low 2800MV. That said the IMR4064 is much more readily available and competitive with Varget.

Thank you for the great links.

Accurate 4350 works great in the .260 and I've seen it in stock recently, IIRC it was at Mid South.
    As someone else already pointed out, Powder Valley had IMR 4064 and 8208 XBR in stock as of a few days ago, both excellent powders for .308.

Joe

I have used 4064 in my m1a loads and it seemed to do just fine. I don't load for 260 so I am not the go to guy for that caliber. From what I hear though, h4350 is the most commonly used powder for it. Personally, for 308 155 palmas, I use h4895. I am pretty certain that it works for 260 as well.

Midsouth Shooters still allows Varget to be backordered in 1 lb'ers, or 8 lb'ers. Get your order in and get in line. I waited about 4 months for 16 lbs. to come in. Yes, it sucks to wait, but there is still more demand than availability, so unless you're willing to get your place in line, it could be a long wait for it to start showing up in excess on the shelves.

According to one of the gentleman at the local Cabela's, there exists plenty of Varget in supply, but it is only being "trickled" through the border. Not sure if there is any truth to this, but I have been able to pick up about 8 lbs (single lbs) over the past few months. Bought 4 lbs at Cabelas and 4 at a local gun show. I am pretty sure I got lucky at Cabelas as I purchased the last lbs within an hour of the store opening, which seems to be how it works. Good Luck!

Also just gone done reading some posts by Dan Newberry (the OCW guru) about IMR 4064 being used in Federal GMM ammo. Pretty interesting. Here is a quote from one of his posts.

"Federal's Gold Medal Match is loaded with the expectation that folks will shoot it in all kinds of rifles... bolt guns and gas guns included.

They're using IMR 4064, in their own brass, which is thick. It requires less powder for a given amount of pressure. They're using 42.8 grains in FC brass with 168's, and 41.8 grains with 175's.

If you're using Lapua brass, bump these charges up to 43.0 and 42.0 grains, respectively.

With Winchester brass... add .4 grains; 43.2 grains with 168's and 42.2 grains in Winchester brass."

-Quote taken from post by Dan Newberry

According to one of the gentleman at the local Cabela's, there exists plenty of Varget in supply, but it is only being "trickled" through the border. Not sure if there is any truth to this, but I have been able to pick up about 8 lbs (single lbs) over the past few months. Bought 4 lbs at Cabelas and 4 at a local gun show. I am pretty sure I got lucky at Cabelas as I purchased the last lbs within an hour of the store opening, which seems to be how it works. Good Luck!

Also just gone done reading some posts by Dan Newberry (the OCW guru) about IMR 4064 being used in Federal GMM ammo. Pretty interesting. Here is a quote from one of his posts.

"Federal's Gold Medal Match is loaded with the expectation that folks will shoot it in all kinds of rifles... bolt guns and gas guns included.

They're using IMR 4064, in their own brass, which is thick. It requires less powder for a given amount of pressure. They're using 42.8 grains in FC brass with 168's, and 41.8 grains with 175's.

If you're using Lapua brass, bump these charges up to 43.0 and 42.0 grains, respectively.

With Winchester brass... add .4 grains; 43.2 grains with 168's and 42.2 grains in Winchester brass."

-Quote taken from post by Dan Newberry

Interesting… The Fed GMM recipe. The volume sounds about right for an average 2600FPS + or - 50 fps depending on barrel, chamber dimensions, etc..etc..

If you stay vigilant about checking stock levels online you can still find it. I just got 10 lbs of varget and 8 lbs of H4831sc in from powder valley yesterday.