• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Varget vs RL15

Re: Varget vs RL15

Varget is a tad faster than RL15.

I tried RL15 with 155 Scenars and ran out of case capacity before finding pressure/velocity. That was with moly and a Rem chamber/throat. Maybe a better result in a tighter chamber/shorter throat.

I got offVarget for 2 years and shot nothing but 175's and Re15 at reasonable velocities. Even with the load balanced to the rifle there seemed to be the occasional shot that would just go it's own way.
Switched back to Varget and the problem disappeared.

I started with Varget out of my KMW and never could get low _AND_ consistent SD numbers. I switched to RL-15 and I'm able to get more accuracy nodes with lower ES/SDs.

I like Varget for my factory rig but no matter what they advertise, it does swing with temps similar to RL-15.

What is his load?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In his Terry Cross(KMW) rifle, my brother is getting better accuracy with Varget. I believe he is sold on it after a couple of years with RL15. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is his load?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In his Terry Cross(KMW) rifle, my brother is getting better accuracy with Varget. I believe he is sold on it after a couple of years with RL15. </div></div> </div></div>

I cannot remember the exact load, but he said he FL'd the cases, primed, powdered and seated the bullets. If I am not mistaken, it was 45gr or somewhere in that area(about the same as the RL15 load).

I have no experience with the 308, but in my 6br RL produces better velocities. RL is far more temp sensitive and overall doesn't work quite as well as varget.

inode,
The Varget load was a generic load from Banshee SWS. I looked thru the reload depot posts and they all seemed close as well.
Here it is...
45gr of Varget
WIN Brass
CCI BR2 Primer
178 Amax seated to 2.80 OAL
I prep the brass according to Doc's post in the reloading section.
Shot 1 hole groups when I did not pull.
It even shot better thru my Gemtech HVT (still not as good as without) but that is another topic all together.