• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Velocity dif. out of 223 bar. length.....

Rhinomax

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2010
Georgia
I have a 20inch RR pred.pursuit 223. and want to get a shorter gun so I can run a can on it. I am leaning towards a Noveske afghan 14.5 with a pinned aac break/flash hider. Or a reg. 16 inch noveske recon both with the switchblock. How much velocity will I lose going from a 20inch to a 16 or 14.5 inch. I will be using this gun for shooting paper, and mainly hunting yotes, hogs, and other critters.

Also, has anyone heard a 7.62SDn on a 223. This was the can I am thinking about getting. That way I can run one can on my 308's and 223.

Thank you in advance for your help.....

Re: Velocity dif. out of 223 bar. length.....

From what I gather about ~30-40 fps per inch. So you'll lose ~120-160 by going down to a 16".

Can't provide assistance in regard to the can.

A .30 cal can like the 762SDN will work fine on a .223. No worries there.

As for a different barrel...why do you want to change out your current barrel (or swap complete uppers)? A 20" AR-15 barrel will work very will with a can. No need to go shorter unless you are just concerned about the extra overall length. You aren't going to save much weight...just a little length. Also, the predator pursuit barrel profile is heavy enough that the extra length shouldn't cause any accuracy problems (from barrel whip, etc. with the additional weight on the muzzle end from the can). Also, if you want an adjustable gas block, you can install a switchblock on your current barrel (I believe the light varmint contour gas block on the RRA PP is a 0.750...if not, there are several other options for an adjustable gas block that will work with a larger barrel profile).

As for the velocity differences...I'd expect 150fps give or take depending on the ammo, etc., etc.

The RR PP is not threaded and I am not sure if the bar. profile will even allow you to put an AAC muzzle break on. I am not sure. The next thing is length. From what I read the can is 6.1 inch's. That would make the gun 26 inchs maybe more once the muzzle break is added. LONG........ It would be a really long gun to get around with. That is my thinking on going with a shorter gun.

I had no idea you could change the gas block like that. PRETTY COOL

The barrel profile of the RRA PP rifle is MORE than adequate for supporting the AAC mount and the suppressor. I forgot that those barrels are not threaded from the factory, but that is a $65 fix if you want it threaded properly for the AAC suppressor adapter/FH/brake. There are several smiths here and elsewhere that can thread that barrel for you while at the same time ensuring the threads are concentric to the bore which is crucial for any muzzle device, but particular when installing a suppressor so that you don't run the risk of baffle strikes.

The other option to consider is getting your current barrel cut down and at the same time, having it threaded, etc. The problem with that is with the RRA PP's rifle-length gas system, going below 18" is not advisable as it can lead to reliability problems. However, if shaving 2" of length off is enough for you, that is one additional option.