• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Velocity increase.. Why??

springle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2008
Mountain View, MO
My Lawton 260 chronoed 2815 fps on a 70 degree day using 47.8 gr of h4831sc and 139 gr lapua scenars. load shoots great. was trying some 140 gr a-max and h4350 the other day through a chrono. velocity was 2825. Decided to shoot the lapua load as a referrence. To my surprise velocity had increased to 2890. temp was around 60 degrees that day. Ive got about 1800 rounds down the tube. I had noticed that I was having to dial less elevation than before. still shoots the same. Could the barrel have smoothed out tht much?

Re: Velocity increase.. Why??

MY guess would be just the opposite as you break in the barrel it might make less pressure. To add another guess I would venture the difference might be that the barrel was more "fouled" (perhaps at the end of a needed cleaning) and that caused the higher pressure and increase in vel??

Re: Velocity increase.. Why??

Less pressure could be a possibility. I've went over 250 round between cleaning and it doesn't shoot any different.