• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vests/Plate carriers

SnkBit

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2009
Amarillo, TX.
How many of you use a MOLLE compatible vest versus a plate carrier? What are the most important attributes of the vests/carriers in your opinion? Those of you who use the plate carriers I'm assuming are active military/LEO?

Re: Vests/Plate carriers

Carrier protects vitals and keeps weight down. Vest protects vitals and provides greater coverage from blast fragments, and handgun rounds.

Some vest only provide handgun and frag protection, without plates.

What you want depends on what it will be used for. What are the requirements you seek?

I watched a video from an anesthetist the other day that said most hand gun shootings were non-fatal. I don't remember the percentage he used, but it has really surprising. Feel like it was 90%, but can't remember. Just a FYI

Personally, I have no use for the plates as I am only using the vest for tactical competitions and some hunting duties. I am just curious what everyone is using and why. Not only for my intended usage but each of your own intended usages.

Okay if you have no need for ballistic protection, then a chest rig or vest will be good to go.

Sorry I misunderstood your question.

Yeah, basically it's an issue of protection vs maneuverability. I used to roll through Mosul in a full armor carrier (RAV) which gave me a good amount of overall protection when rolling through that nasty high threat environment. But when you have to hump up and down mountains, chase booger eaters on foot and climb walls often, giving up some protection with a plate carrier in exchange for weight savings and added maneuverability is a reasonable option. On top of that, those wrap around IIIa panels in an armor carrier are like insulation: great in the winter, sucktacular in the summer.

A lot of the plate carriers if being used without plates for comps loose a lot of points over a good rig due to the way they are made. They are made to carry plates, so space is wasted on the side where a cumber bun or empty side plate pouches are.

I run a esstac boar split front chest rig if not running a plate carrier. It opens in the front if I need to get down in the prone for extended periods of time, has bungie mag catches which I prefer, and has plenty of molle space on the front to attach utility pouches for other things I need.

If I was doing run and gun comps, I would run a battle belt so I could stay light with the minimum number of mags needed.

If you are more specific on they type of comps you will be doing, we could give you better ideas on what would work .

I have a SKD Tactical PIG plate carrier with currently a Tactical tailor multipurpose pouch and a triple shingle, all on a MAP bib, although, after using it a bunch I want to retrofit the PC with the first spear tubes cummerbund, get rid of the MAP and replace the shingle with some tacos, and then add a battle belt with another mag or two, a pistol and mags for that. My goal is to keep the sides slick for comfort and ease of pistol draw.

So far the PC has held up great, I'm not a huge guy, 5'10" at 150 pounds, but we were doing some first aid training and I was a casualty and in being moved, I was picked up and carried by the PC and I didn't hear any creaking, groaning or any other sounds associated with fabric and stitching in distress.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gear is purpose driven and without giving us at least a general idea of your loadout, you're not going to get the quality of responses you may be looking for.

If you are not looking for ballistic protection, there is zero reason to sport a plate carrier. Even the most minimal carriers add a lot of extra bulk/weight in Nylon and hardware. It never ceases to amaze me how much a difference you can make in weight reduction simply by removing unnecessary features on a rig.

What do you plan on carrying on your rig and do you have an estimate on what the combined weight of these items would be? This helps determine a lot as far as what shoulder straps you want and how much real estate you need on the rig. Will you need to carry a water bladder?

If all you want is something to is something to carry a few mags and a couple tools, consider a battle belt or a minimalist chest rig. For the ultimate in lightweight, checkout Blue Force gear or maybe Tyr Tactical. Tactical Tailor's MAV is also one to look at.

I appreciate the responses but it seems my post was misunderstood. I'm not looking for recommendations, I'm just curious as to what other people are using. It's pure curiosity, what are you using and why?

Just use the issue IOTV or IBA. The issued stuff work good enough. I will add a rack to it for mags.