• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing vintage 700? guess I'll try an M40 build

AreWeNotMen?

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2010
Hi All:
I've not been on here in years...but recently came across a partial M700 my brother gave me about 20 years ago. It's been sitting in a closet, neglected. So I pulled it out this morning and dusted it off - literally. It was/is a BDL "varminter" in .22-250, matching SN engraved on the bottom of the bolt, with a Beuhler one-piece mount, no trigger or bottom metal. I was going to sell it as I have no use for it, and then thought "hey, why not try an M40 build". I'm only thinking this as it's a June 1967 date of manufacture (from the barrel stamp), and it 'd been in our family since about 1973. I have ZERO experience with such projects, so I've spent the morning reading up on similar endeavors.

One of my initial thoughts leads me to a dumb question - I would like to retain the barrel due to it's known provenance and era (i.e., more authentic?) - can it be re-chambered/bored/contoured a la M40...or is that a silly pursuit?

Thanks in advance.

I have pics if anyone wants to see.

Regards

I think you're going to find that's not an option for your barrel. Why not just pull the barrel and lug and save them back. Install a fresh barrel and you can always go back if you like.

Call Connor at CelticRifles.com. He's currently building an M40 for me with a '67. He can give you some good advice.

Yeah - I'd checked some years back and was told to re-barrel...I suppose I could have "replica" marks stamped in the barrel just for grins.
I think you're going to find that's not an option for your barrel. Why not just pull the barrel and lug and save them back. Install a fresh barrel and you can always go back if you like.