• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors volquartsen barrel

coyote sniper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2012
ND
I few months ago I purchased a volquartsen 22lr barrel with a threaded end on it (1/2x28 for my can) for my magnum research 10/22 type action when I put the can on it I was shooting about 2ft right and way low after running out of adjustment on the scope at 25 yrds. I called them and they said that they figured the threads must not be concentric to the barrel and to send it in. i did and they claimed that when they tested the threads they were concetric but that they would put a different endcap on the barrel (carbon fiber barrel) I got it back and at least this time I can hit the box but groups are min of 3 inches (50 yrds) and usually all over a 8.5x11 sheet of paper. when I take the can off I can keep em in a 1/2-3/4 inch group consistantly with a occasional flyer (federal auto match bulk ammo) The can is a SWR spectre II which I can group a .25 at 50yrds on another rifle I have so it is definately not the cans fault. anybody have any suggestions or similar experinces?????????

i have not heard good things about using a can on the end of a tensioned barrel and a quick scan of the website for volquartsen shows it is a carbon fiber tensioned barrel. i would bet hanging a weight off the end of what is a lightweight barrel is what is actually screwing with your groups. 7 ozs of the suppressor hanging on the end of your 21 oz barrel, adds 30% more weight. i think thats your culprit.

I see thanks for the info charger you are probaly right! :( sucks I had to find that out the hard way!!! Kinda odd that they would sell a barrel in that configuration if is probaly going to shoot that inaccurately!!!! guess it will just collect dust!! After shooting my can for a while it will be a very rare occasion that I shoot a firearm unsupressed again!! Thanks to thunderbeast and SWR would recommend either one to anyone and everyone!!

FWIW,

I would say that the weight change on the barrel is altering the harmonics.

Example; on my 77-22 I run a SAK mod. I recently tried to run it with a Wildcat 'reflex' type moderator, allegedly a better mod, half the weight, more sound reduction. Couldn't group for toffee!! Went back to the heavy old SAK, back to 0.5" groups at 50yds.

Same story with my CZ 452 American in .17HMR. Groups inside minute of rabbit head at 100yds with the SAK, not even inside minute of rabbit with the lightweight Wildcat. I now have 2 expensive moderators which just DON'T perform on my rifles. Go figure!

All I can put it down to is the change in harmonics, nothing else changes, same rifles, same day, same weather, same threads, same ammo. Different mods, different results...

HTH.

Neil

On my volq 17hm2 tension barrel with my sparrow it does the same thing. Rather disappointed for sure.

My Volquartsen carbon tensioned barrel works great with my spectre II. The volquartsen thread adapter I bought was crap and I sent it back. I contacted tros usa to make me one and never looked back.

Has anyone had experience with the Volquartsen LLV or Scorpions suppressed? I have an LLV upper and Sparrow on order for this very purpose (Ruger Mark III lower)...

I don't have any experience with shooting my VQ tensioned carbon barrel suppressed. However with that being said I have found that MY barrel on my 10/22 seems to like a little pressure pad about 2" back from the end of the fore end. May give that a wirl and see if your groups shape up a bit?

Talked to volquartsen again the suggested the pressure pad and put one in the mail for me. :) hoping this cures the problem!

Has anyone had experience with the Volquartsen LLV or Scorpions suppressed? I have an LLV upper and Sparrow on order for this very purpose (Ruger Mark III lower)...

I run a 22Sparrow on my scorpion. It shoots as good suppressed as it does without the Sparrow.