• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex AMG vs NF NX8

Eaglearcher20

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2018
Johnstown, PA 15905
Anyone own, use or been able to compare the Vortex AMG and the NF NX8 2.2-20 or NX8 4-32? Don't care about the reticles. Curious about glass, eye relief, tracking etc. Size and weight seem to be very similar. I have no local shops or anything that carry either. Closest i can compare is my ATACR 7-35 and my dad's PST Gen II.

Glass goes to the NF
Eye relief is about a tie
Tracking both are spot on but I like the turret on my NF better

I am not a huge FFP guy but they will have the SFP very shortly so I will be swapping for a couple of those.

Reactions: ccollier
Glass goes to the NF
Eye relief is about a tie
Tracking both are spot on but I like the turret on my NF better

I am not a huge FFP guy but they will have the SFP very shortly so I will be swapping for a couple of those.
Nice. Have been leaning towards the NF since I have an ATACR and like the Mil-XT reticle.

Damn. The mag range and weight of the Nx8 is super appealing. I currently have a XTRIII but I’d like to look through the nx8 to compare

I had all three (both NX8's). Sold the AMG. I certainly like the length of the NX8 scopes better. I would have kept the AMG, but the mag ring was just too stiff for my liking. AMG has a win with parallax. Both are great scopes.

I am cautious when it comes to vortex scope. Friend had one that didn’t track properly and had to send it back for warranty. It functioned properly afterward.

Personally I would go with nightforce as I prefer the turret feel.

I'm glad that you guys are reinforcing my trust in NF but it is also disappointing hearing that Vortex's high end offering seems to be disappointing people. Looks like I will stick with my initial decision to go NF NX8. Probably the 4-32 since it is only about 0.3oz difference.

Reactions: hellishot
I've had both an AMG and the NX8 4-32

Glass: NF
Eye relief: AMG.. It seemed a little more forgiving. However, the NF goes up to 32 so its not apples to apples. Same power range slight advantage AMG.
Tracking: never had a problem with either.

One thing about the NX8. Being FFP there is no good way to make a reticle that is going to be great at 4 through 32. @ 4 it is so fine it is almost unusable and @32 it is like looking through a picket fence. Mid ranges it is fine. Just something to consider.

I sold the AMG.

Reactions: Gatorshark
I've had both an AMG and the NX8 4-32

Glass: NF
Eye relief: AMG.. It seemed a little more forgiving. However, the NF goes up to 32 so its not apples to apples. Same power range slight advantage AMG.
Tracking: never had a problem with either.

One thing about the NX8. Being FFP there is no good way to make a reticle that is going to be great at 4 through 32. @ 4 it is so fine it is almost unusable and @32 it is like looking through a picket fence. Mid ranges it is fine. Just something to consider.

I sold the AMG.

I rarely use the low end of magnification so that doesn't overly concern me. My ATACR is similar though at the 7x end. As i don't plan on hunting with the scope i don't see it being an issue for me in particular.

I’m very surprised so many people say glass goes to the NX8. All the NX8s I’ve been behind have had the most disappointing glass I’ve experienced. Bad enough that I’m just saving more for an ATACR.

The AMG has been touted for its glass but I don’t havesignificant experience behind one.

I'm glad that you guys are reinforcing my trust in NF but it is also disappointing hearing that Vortex's high end offering seems to be disappointing people. Looks like I will stick with my initial decision to go NF NX8. Probably the 4-32 since it is only about 0.3oz difference.
All companies have scope fail even nightforce, sb,zco, leupold u name it that why u buy the better scopes because the companies stand behind them and warranty there work . I had a friends with an actar it's parallax broke

Reactions: godofthunder
I’m very surprised so many people say glass goes to the NX8. All the NX8s I’ve been behind have had the most disappointing glass I’ve experienced. Bad enough that I’m just saving more for an ATACR.

The AMG has been touted for its glass but I don’t havesignificant experience behind one.

I’m a bit surprised as well. I’ve got 2 AMG’s and I’ve had them out side by side with my 5-25 and 7-35 ATACR’s. The AMG isn’t giving up much to the ATACR. I’ve definitely never been behind the ATACR and then switched to the AMG and been disappointed.

Sold my AMG here on the 'Hide some time ago...
For me reticle options are key - I know the OP said he didn't care - but, I'm loving my 7-35 ATACR with MIL-XT...FWIW...
Turret feel etc...Nightforce all day every day...

My thoughts as well. I found the NX8 glass to be pretty subpar for a $2000 Nightforce. Especially the 20x.

Just goes to show how subjective some things are.

Reactions: goneal
I’ve heard nx8 glass is subpar compared to the amg until this thread. I compared it to my zeiss v8 and it was very close.

Reactions: BlueLacy
I think all the glass in this tier is pretty close and very subjective; however, I think many of us have buyers bias and that also plays into this. I have a razor gen 11 and an AMG and I think they are fine scopes but there are others that are just as good in this category. If I was going to move up a class I would jump all the way to ZCO/TT tier because the difference in between does not reflect good cost/benefit to me personally.

I do not think you can go wrong with either the AMG or NX8 as both have their pros and cons. I chose the AMG because I picked the scope up for a good price. Like many have said I believe the reticle you like best makes the choice a lot easier and of course a good deal is a good deal.

Bottom line up front, IMO, you will get better quality with Nightforce. That being said, that does not at all mean Vortex is sub-par, especially at their price point. I have experience with other Vortex optics but not the AMG specifically. I am pleased, however, with my NX8. There isn't much more to expound upon with the NX8, I would say it is everything you would expect from NF.

As for reticles, I quite like the vortex EBR-2C reticle but another benefit of Nightforce (at least for the ATACR line, not sure if it applies to the NX8 series) is that when you place your order you can request any of the Horus Vision reticles for a small upcharge.

edit - I should clarify that my NX8 is the 1-8x. There is certainly a difference in quality between the NX8 and ATACR line. For all higher powered optics above 8x I revert to the ATACR line. I have a ATACR 1-8 as well, granted the ATACR is a 34mm tube vs the NX8s 30mm allowing more light transmission, the difference in quality is present.

Last edited:
Oh really internet, the NX8 is superior to the AMG? Smoke grass we must...
CD0558C3-8D25-40E1-A8F3-8AAC1775C9C1.jpeg

No shit now we are using ad copy to “prove” dependability? Good grief. I utilized the Nightforce warranty after the scope on my patrol rifle broke and it was an excellent experience. It is still on that rifle after the repair and I still have confidence in it. As was Vortex when they repaired my Razor gen1 when it broke. I still use that scope too and still trust it. My AMG, which I bought used from Koshkin, hasn’t had an issue. What next, we gonna argue 9mm vs 45 ACP? 🙄

No shit now we are using ad copy to “prove” dependability? Good grief. I utilized the Nightforce warranty after the scope on my patrol rifle broke and it was an excellent experience. It is still on that rifle after the repair and I still have confidence in it. As was Vortex when they repaired my Razor gen1 when it broke. I still use that scope too and still trust it. My AMG, which I bought used from Koshkin, hasn’t had an issue. What next, we gonna argue 9mm vs 45 ACP? 🙄

.45 ACP all the way. No argument needed. ;)

Reactions: jakelly
Interesting thread.

I liked the 4-32x50 NX8 and was very unimpressed with the other two, but sample variation could be at play.

As a general observation, with Nightforce, I really like the ATACR scopes, but I am not real big on their lower end products.

I do think the AMG is a better scope than the NX8 in terms of image quality and it is very competitive with the ATACR.

NX8 4-32x50 is a very competent crossover design, but a lot of people who can put up with a bit more weight might be better served with one of LOW's 4.5-30x56 variants that cost a little less and work very well.

Another observation is that in all the years I have been talking about scopes, I have had good and bad things to say about nearly all of them, so I have had all sorts of brand fanboys yell at me for being unkind to their brand of choice.

In the scope world, Nightforce seems to have by far the most dedicated fanboys which is a testament to how effective their marketing is.

ILya

Sold my AMG here on the 'Hide some time ago...
For me reticle options are key - I know the OP said he didn't care - but, I'm loving my 7-35 ATACR with MIL-XT...FWIW...
Turret feel etc...Nightforce all day every day...

For the NF ATACR, when you change the magnification, the whole ocular rotates right? Do you bother with a front tenebraex cap or anything?

Go to a local dealer who stocks both and ask the salesman which one has more issues. If your shop is worth while and the salesman knows there stuff they should be able to give you lots of info. And if they are honest they can tell you how many customers call or bring back each and the issues they have had.

Go to a local dealer who stocks both and ask the salesman which one has more issues. If your shop is worth while and the salesman knows there stuff they should be able to give you lots of info. And if they are honest they can tell you how many customers call or bring back each and the issues they have had.
I love listening to salesman at gunstores, their so knowledgeable and never have any biases... I just wanna hear where he got those numbers.

Who talks to a salesman at a local dealer when they need warranty work done? I’m pretty sure you’d be calling Nightforce or whatever company directly.

Welp we can all stop trying, no one is gonna give worse advice than this.

Who talks to a salesman at a local dealer when they need warranty work done? I’m pretty sure you’d be calling Nightforce or whatever company directly.
Well maybe it's just western PA where I live. But when folks around here pay more than $1000 for a scope and anything happens they take them right to the local dealer here. Why because my local dealer it awesome and will replace an issue right over the counter if they have the same scope in stock.

Reactions: YotaEer
I do think the AMG is a better scope than the NX8 in terms of image quality and it is very competitive with the ATACR.

NX8 4-32x50 is a very competent crossover design

This is a pretty good summary from a guy who has forgotten more about optics than I will ever try to absorb.

If image quality is absolute paramount, AMG is better. This probably has more to do with the 4x erector design than anything.
The 32x NX8 is an exceptional hunting/ precision rifle crossover scope.. Tons of magnification for it's weight and length. Just a really nice package. All of the controls on the NF feel higher quality when compared to the AMG.. I realize this is subjective.

I've had both and still have the NX8, but recommend both.

Neither are as good as your 7-35 ATACR

I'm a pretty serious Nightforce junkie, but I have zero bad things to say about my Vortex AMG. I have both a BEAST and a 7-35x ATACR, and really don't feel that the AMG gives up much (if anything) in terms of overall image quality.

I seriously doubt that any "local place" will have sold enough high-end optics and accepted enough returns to have formed a solid statistical sample size. Exceptions made if your "local place" is, say, Mile High.

Only 1 in 8700 break so you won’t need the warranty.

Vortex is 1 in 8.7 failure rate
So you are saying that more than 10% of Vortex products fail? I think that is a stretch and have to call BS. Can you give the source/data where you get these numbers. I have four Vortex scopes and have never had any kind of issue with any of them, not saying Vortex is any better than any other brand, just don't think all Vortex products are complete garbage like some people claim.

So you are saying that more than 10% of Vortex products fail? I think that is a stretch and have to call BS. Can you give the source/data where you get these numbers. I have four Vortex scopes and have never had any kind of issue with any of them, not saying Vortex is any better than any other brand, just don't think all Vortex products are complete garbage like some people claim.

4C20A6F9-6D3E-438A-93B2-0E44580A9D9E.jpeg

Last edited:
You said you get your info off the internet, where exactly, I could find nothing that says Vortex has a 1 in 8.7 failure rate, do you take everything you read on the internet as gospel?

You said you get your info off the internet, where exactly, I could find nothing that says Vortex has a 1 in 8.7 failure rate, do you take everything you read on the internet as gospel?
You must be either 70+ or less than 21 to miss the “87” plus the bonjour commercial

Seriously tho it seems like everyone and their brother has to send their gaytex back.

Nightforce you have to search to find problems. Then there’s one guy with broken parallax and a couple issues with just one series of scopes I think the 5-25 f1 ATACRs. Vortex it’s my amg broke all the way down to the cheap lines breaking.

have you looked at the Tract Toric...i have two of them..they blow my Vortex AMG out of the water...amazing glass..tracks perfectly

have you looked at the Tract Toric...i have two of them..they blow my Vortex AMG out of the water...amazing glass..tracks perfectly

I have two Tract Toric 4.5-30x56, and I got behind my friend's Razor HD AMG. Which part part of the scope do you mean by blowing it out of the water? I'm just curious... in sunny, mirage like days, they were about equal with the Razor HD AMG pulling slightly ahead in terms of cutting through the mirage.

In the rainy low light situation, the Tract Toric slightly pulled ahead.

The Tract has more elevation adjustment, it is a 34mm tube with 56mm obj compared to the 30mm / 50mm of the HD AMG. It is a lot heavier though.

I have 6 Vortex scopes and 2 Leupolds. Never a problem with any of them. I can’t imagine being able to see well enough to say AMG glass is subpar to almost anything but that’s just me.