• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Binos

Rem700p

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
I've done the advanced search and the Google custom search of the Hide, but I can't find much info on opinions.

Wondering what people think of their Vortex Binos...specifically the Razor and Viper models. Does anyone have experience with those and other company binos?

I was looking at getting a decent set of binos in the 10x42 range from either Vortex or Leupold. Razor or Golden Ring models to be exact.

Thanks

Re: Vortex Binos

The Razors are a little sharper but the Vipers are pretty good for the money. I had the Stokes DLSes made by Vortex for a while (in between the two and they were good glass) but needed a good rangefinder more so I traded them back for a Swaro RF. Honestly, as much as I like Vortex, I think only the Razors have the dielectric prism coatings now. If you can't swing those, consider the Zen Ray ED2s.

Some other things to think about: 10X is great, but a 42/43 mm objective will not give you great low-light performance. In most cases, 8X will provide better light transmission (more exit pupil), greater field of view and better depth of field (less need to re-focus between near and far objects). 8X is still pretty good magnification. The way I see it, it puts you on an even playing field with a pronghorn's natural vision.

I stand corrected on the Viper prism coatings. Thanks for the update. (I actually checked your site first but didn't see that change listed yet).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both the Viper and Razor have dielectric prism coatings. Both are designed here in WI and manufactured in Japan with Japanese premium glass.

Scott </div></div>

Bumping this up a level

The Kibab vs. the Razor?

I have the razor 10x42 and love them. The eyecups work great and resolution is right up there with the best of them.

I looked through the vipers yesterday. I liked them a lot better than everything I found in the same price range. I didn't buy them so I could look more today. I didn't find anything better for the money today either. Now, I will be going back this weekend to pick them up. Also they have a no B.S. transferable lifetime warranty. I didn't look at the Razors because they are out of my range. I do have a Razor spotting scope and I liked it more than the non HD Swaro's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both the Viper and Razor have dielectric prism coatings. Both are designed here in WI and manufactured in Japan with Japanese premium glass.

Scott </div></div>

Bumping this up a level

The Kibab vs. the Razor?
</div></div>
The Kaibab's are awesome if you are looking for a 15x,they are super bright and extremely user friendly for a 15x,heck for any power. It is hard to compare the two since they are a totally different power/size/configuration. If they were the same the Kaibab would have the edge.They are just that nice IMHO.

Scott

I like the Vipers. The Razors are more $$ and supposedly a better bino but in my comparisions the distortions around the periphery of the FOV is much more pronounced in the Razor than the Viper. there is a nice sweet spot in the Razor with it's huge FOV but the distortion is 360 degrees while in the Viper it is only at the extrme top and bottom FOV. Ergonomically, the Viper and lighter and handle better, INO.

I echo the above comments, I've compared the Viper to every Asian import under $1000 and like them better. These are a steal for the $$

Scott

I compared the Viper to the Razor quite extensively when shopping for my vortex binocular. The Razors had better resolution, however I was surprised when I found the Viper to be brighter in same conditions when A-Bing both binoculars.

I went with the Vipers due to the size. I'm also not a fan of open bridge binos. My only complaint about the Vipers is the chromatic abberation, The more I use it, the more I notice it. I may be selling mine off soon. The Razor did very well controlling CA.

I compared the Vipers to Leopold Mohaves and cascades, Nikon monarchs, eagle optics ranger's(cheapest of the group and partnered with vortex from what I hear) and a set of Pentax's(not sure the model). For the $300-550 dollar range the Vipers were very clear glass. I felt like I was using a 600-700 set. The Mohaves are a close second to me. Today, I went in and looked at the vipers 10x42 next to the only set of razors they had 8x42. The razors are better than the leupold gold rings(non HD) I’ve used in the past. I really wanted to buy them, however they are heavy and I want something a little more compact and lighter. Hope this helps. Rem 700P

Ok, I've decided I'm going to go with the Viper 8.5x50s. Seems like a good middle ground between the Razor 8.5x50s and the Viper 8x42s.

I figure the 8.5x50 will give me better lowlight performance than the 8x42 set...but I save the weight by getting those and not the Razors.

Question for Scott or Sam.

What happened to the Vulture line? What replaced it?

I got a pair of the 12x50 vultures a long time ago and while they are not swaro quality I really like mine. They were a bargain of cost/quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MudBug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question for Scott or Sam.

What happened to the Vulture line? What replaced it?

I got a pair of the 12x50 vultures a long time ago and while they are not swaro quality I really like mine. They were a bargain of cost/quality. </div></div>The Vulture's that you speak of were just morphed,so to speak, into the Diamondback line. So the 50mm Diamondbacks are the old Vultures. We actually have a new Vulture line coming out that will be a 56mm bino in an 8x and 10x.

Scott

I bought a 8x42 viper two years ago. I compared them to a 7x50 steiner and a 8x30 swaro I owned at the time. The viper was tied with swaro until the sun went down, then the viper was clearly better but that was expected do to the objective lens size. Now the viper is all I have. I like them enough that I may be getting another pair in a 10 or higher power.