• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex HS-LR 6-24x50 FFP

greg1147

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Sep 12, 2017
    Virginia
    I finally got achance to get to the range with the scope in the title. Eye relief, and plumb/level reticle was good but I ran out adjustment for windage for correcting to the right. I checked the Vortex trouble shooting guide, couple of things were suggested, scope rings barrel alignment. I havent made any correction yet but before I had the Vortex I was shooting 1/2" groups with an old Red Field 4-12x40 at 100 yards. My first thought is to check ring alignment or at least try moving them front ot rear or rotating them 180* Am I headed in the right direction or is this a Vortex issue? Rings are Vortex BTW. Any other suggestions are appreciated to an old novice.
    TIA Greg
    BTW Rifle is a RPR 2nd gen in 6.5 CM

Last edited:
    According to Vortex website the HS -LR has 42 MOA's of windage adjustment. In a perfect world with a perfect alignment you should have around 20 MOAs windage adjustment to the right and 20 to the left but not always it's so exact. After zeroing how many MOA's you have to each side?

When you say you ran out of windage adjustment, did you run out before you could zero? Meaning you dialed all the adjustment before even getting POI and POA to match?

When you say you ran out of windage adjustment, did you run out before you could zero? Meaning you dialed all the adjustment before even getting POI and POA to match?

In order to get 0, POA, 16 MOA were needed, and as you noted 4 MOA to get to the end of travel on the adjustment.
    BTW, elevation is dead nuts on, after adjusting for the -20 MOA rail.

Last edited:
    I would go back to the middle of your adjustment range for the windage and just double check your total windage adjustment. Did you have any problems mounting the scope? Did the rings tighten to the base like they should? Did you use a torque wrench?

I would go back to the middle of your adjustment range for the windage and just double check your total windage adjustment. Did you have any problems mounting the scope? Did the rings tighten to the base like they should? Did you use a torque wrench?

Thats my plan now that I have done more research. First is to disassemble the rings and remove it from the rifle and go through a careful step by step assembly, then some range time. I did some searching and found that the some Ruger Precision had a few problems with possibly barrel or rail alignment. I am not ready to send it back as the won't accept it with any modification. Right now I am in the middle of retiring and relocating which puts a damper on my schedule. After this week everyday will be Saturday, with time to get serious.
    Updates as they happen.