• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Vortex Impact 4000 Rifle/Rail mounted Range finder???

Thought I’d type up a few notes about it and share some pics from recently:

I have been super impressed with these… I was getting returns pretty much instantly on nothing but dirt and trees past 3200 yards.

It’s a little taller than the raptor, and weighs 6 ounces more. But in every other measurable way, it crush is the RAPTAR. It is more precise, has a faster return, and the ballistics lined up immediately to my Kestrel. (With in a 10th without truing)

I’m sure the Mars and MRF are better units… but they are not 8K better. Anyone who says differently is being an elitist.

The map feature in GeoBallistics is also pretty nasty stuff! See images below

View attachment 8237200
Could you do a video, how to use it and what i am curious, what/how to set that up in to a working condition.
Since there is like on a scope, windage and elevation set up.
Is it set to same image field as your scope is, never seen one of these in action.
Or is it the laser beem adjustment?
Would love to know more of this :)
Well, Vortex has it all ready.

Last edited:
Juice seems to be worth a squeeze so far. Definitely a major Radius upgrade in pretty much every aspect with the only possible exception being the visible laser to check alignment in strong sunlight but still need to test a bit more.

Attachments

• IMG_2659.jpeg
    IMG_2659.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 354
Juice seems to be worth a squeeze so far. Definitely a major Radius upgrade in pretty much every aspect with the only possible exception being the visible laser to check alignment in strong sunlight but still need to test a bit more.
The viz laser being dim is really my only complaint with it so far. Ive run it out to 1360 a couple of times with absolutely zero issues and there's almost no lag between the button press and the firing solution appearing. And the GB seems to match up with AB pretty well.

They're in stock and shipping out! Looks like we might need a second UPS truck today. :oops:

I can handle that. I can wait till dusk one day if needed. If that’s the only complaint then I’m pumped

Reactions: PowPowHawg
Thought I’d type up a few notes about it and share some pics from recently:
You had a bunch of rifle loads listed on the display in one picture. Have you swapped it between different rifles and if so did you have to rezero the laser each time? I expect that will be required if not mounted in the same position but curious if you tried it.

Ordered one for my .338 but want to use it with my .308 as well until I get a second one (pending testing).

I watched the Vortex videos and they mentioned recalibrating the compass if you move more than 30 miles (distance is similar to what the military uses for recalibrating artillery and mortar aiming circles). I'm hoping that it will retain zero if I take it off of the mount, recalibrate the compass, and then put it back in the same position on the diving board. Anyone have experience with this yet?

Thanks,

Don

You had a bunch of rifle loads listed on the display in one picture. Have you swapped it between different rifles and if so did you have to rezero the laser each time? I expect that will be required if not mounted in the same position but curious if you tried it.

Ordered one for my .338 but want to use it with my .308 as well until I get a second one (pending testing).
Yes I’ve swapped it, and yes you have to re-zero. It’s a mechanical optic just like a scope; you want to make sure it’s zeroed when changing platforms. If it’s on a diving board and you swap the whole rifle scope over to a new gun, it would still be zeroed to the scope, but the gun to scope zero would likely be off, then you’d have to shift the LRF to match.
I watched the Vortex videos and they mentioned recalibrating the compass if you move more than 30 miles (distance is similar to what the military uses for recalibrating artillery and mortar aiming circles). I'm hoping that it will retain zero if I take it off of the mount, recalibrate the compass, and then put it back in the same position on the diving board. Anyone have experience with this yet?

Thanks,

Don
Yeah mine came right back to zero without having to adjust it again when swapping between side and diving board mount. I used a Fix It Stick to re-mount and didn’t mess with the zero when it was flopped onto the side mount. Still probably a good idea to double-check zero after reinstallation.
Making up a custom paper target with the included reflective stickers to match your specific diving board dimensions is something you could travel with and easily confirm things without having to fire a shot.

Reactions: UNRL Ghandi
I've always thought of Vortex as garbage, that was until I got my hands on the new G3 Razor. I have 2 and they are truly remarkable for the price and made me a fan.

I wanted to replace my aging Swarovski rangefinder so I rolled the dice with a new Razor 4000 and uts really been a phenomenal little handheld as well with a lifetime warranty that nobody else has on rangefinders.

Without question I'll have one of these, hopefully it has the lifetime warranty as well!
Burris, Athlon and Maven also have a lifetime warranty on their rangefinders including their electronics.

Next rangefinder I plan to buy is the 7x $450 Maven with the clearest glass available in any current rangefinder and not made in China. Just waiting for their next sale and hopefully get one for $350 since I really don't need it right away. Also waiting for a rangefinder binoculars combo from them as well as long as their covered by their lifetime warranty including electronics.

Holey crap the new Vortex 4000 gun mounted rangefinder itself weighs one pound!!! Not including the hardware to mount it to your scope? Plus it needs to actually be callibrated once you mount it onto your rifle and also each and every time you plan on swapping it onto another rifle.

Last edited:
Burris, Athlon and Maven also have a lifetime warranty on their rangefinders including their electronics.

Next rangefinder I plan to buy is the 7x $450 Maven with the clearest glass available in any current rangefinder and not made in China. Just waiting for their next sale and hopefully get one for $350 since I really don't need it right away. Also waiting for a rangefinder binoculars combo from them as well as long as their covered by their lifetime warranty including electronics.

Holey crap the new Vortex 4000 gun mounted rangefinder itself weighs one pound!!! Not including the hardware to mount it to your scope? Plus it needs to actually be callibrated once you mount it onto your rifle and also each and every time you plan on swapping it onto another rifle.
It weighs the same as a RAPTAR. That is the name of the game. Every time you swap any of the weapon mounted rangefinders, IR lasers, etc, you always need to rezero. It should be pretty close, but better to check.

The mounting system on this is way better than a RAPTAR. Ours should be in on Tuesday, more info to come.

Lol. I have both… never meet your hero’s. 😂

The impact 4k is better in basically every way. (The mounting alone).
Something telling here, everyone I've encountered that has both (I'm sure there will be an exception somewhere), including Nathan here in the shop, prefers the Vortex to the Raptar. The Raptar was a really solid and useful product when it was released, but it's a piece of technology, things get better and faster and cheaper in a hurry, that's what happened here.

Last edited:
Yes I’ve swapped it, and yes you have to re-zero. It’s a mechanical optic just like a scope; you want to make sure it’s zeroed when changing platforms. If it’s on a diving board and you swap the whole rifle scope over to a new gun, it would still be zeroed to the scope, but the gun to scope zero would likely be off, then you’d have to shift the LRF to match.

Yeah mine came right back to zero without having to adjust it again when swapping between side and diving board mount. I used a Fix It Stick to re-mount and didn’t mess with the zero when it was flopped onto the side mount. Still probably a good idea to double-check zero after reinstallation.
Making up a custom paper target with the included reflective stickers to match your specific diving board dimensions is something you could travel with and easily confirm things without having to fire a shot.
good intel. Can you help me source a side mount(s) ?

good intel. Can you help me source a side mount(s) ?
Side mounts should be as simple as picatinny, mlok, or keymod off a handguard or similar setup. Maybe a piece of picatinny off of a Spuhr mount.

Side mounts should be as simple as picatinny, mlok, or keymod off a handguard or similar setup. Maybe a piece of picatinny off of a Spuhr mount.
thx. I'll call Mile high when they open to see what will work with my Spuhr.

Reactions: NHPiper
thx. I'll call Mile high when they open to see what will work with my Spuhr.
Probably looking at this for the side:

Or this on the top:

There are some different variations for the top mounted diving boards. You may be able to get away with a lower height option here if with the Impact 4000 since it doesn’t straddle the mounts like a RAPTAR. Just want to make sure it will clear the objective bell of the scope you are running. More of an issue with shorter scopes like a Mk5 3.6-18 or S&B Ultra Short.

Probably looking at this for the side:

Or this on the top:

There are some different variations for the top mounted diving boards. You may be able to get away with a lower height option here if with the Impact 4000 since it doesn’t straddle the mounts like a RAPTAR. Just want to make sure it will clear the objective bell of the scope you are running. More of an issue with shorter scopes like a Mk5 3.6-18 or S&B Ultra Short.
I’m using the Spuhr A-0019D low Raptar rail here to mitigate the added height. Seems to work well.

Attachments

• IMG_7203.png
    IMG_7203.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 294
Primarily shooting UKD field and team matches these days, there have been a couple instances where I wish I had a WMLRF. These are stages typically where x10 binos are not ideal. Situations where you need something like x5-7 power across a larger field of view. I would appreciate being able to mag down on my scope and get a range with a WMLRF. I could care less about onboard ballistics. An arm board in my opinion is just as fast. And I don’t run dope in my binos.

Having said that, the past couple field matches the podium finishers largely ran binos over WMLRF (Storms and Raptars).

Also worth noting is the only rangefinder that returned accurate ranges in rain and fog were the Sigs (10k, 6k, 3k) and Steiners. Vortex Fury's and Leicas did not.

Again YMMV

Last edited:
I’m using the Spuhr A-0019D low Raptar rail here to mitigate the added height. Seems to work well.

Nice paint job on the Vortex. Did you do that yourself or did someone do it for you?

Is everyone using the red laser screw as the center point of the Impact for offset measurements?

is it better to get the new 4000 GB LFR with a dedicated bino or would the fury with ab be good enough for prs matches and ect

Neither are really necessary for PRS.

I don't think a WMLRF will have any real utility at at a PRS match. There's a better argument for LRF binos, but IMO those aren't needed either.

Someone needs to make an aftermarket lens cover for this thing. That shower cap isn’t going to cut it.
The shower cap isn’t bad with its reinforced plastic guards over both screens but I do agree

Yeah, I just know I’ll lose it. The rear screen I don’t worry about so much, it’s the front facing window that is huge and…sensors. Some kind of retained flip-up cap would be handy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sogan
I have two, they work really nice!

Pros:
- 3000yds on brush registering
- App allows you to save 10 profiles for rifle/round data
- Bluetooth remote that I located right above my trigger
- Co-witnessed so it will work in the dark (backlit too)

Cons:
- No QD pic mount option to easily swap rifles
- On the heavier side

Side note, any top rail/diving board works (vortex's only works with their scope rings). Spuhr makes a nice one though!

Got my mounted up and I'm headed out to an 1100 yard range this morning. It's sitting on a 6-5 bolt gun.

Made the mistake of creating all of my rifle profiles in geoballistic and not doing it under the folder for the range finder. Had to recreate them all. It was easy to get the app data to line up with my kestrel. I basically trued all of the data by selecting the same distance that I trued my kestrel at (1000yds for my 6.5CM), and then entering the dial from my Kestrel. Winds up spitting out the same data.

I didn't tighten down the bolts with a torque wrench, but I did it by hand and then created a witness marks with a paint pen. Pulling the unit on and off and tightening back to the witness marks shows that it returns to zero.

It does not hold a relative zero when switching between guns. More to come on this. My 6.5 has a set of badger rings with their diving board, not a one-piece mount. When I put it on a spuhr mount with a diving board, the unit was several mils high and several mils at 100 yds. I'm going to try the same thing with the badger C1 mounts that I have and the night force mounts, all which have diving boards.

I believe the difference is because the spuhr Mount is 0moa which is adding 3+ mils to the laser elevation compared to a 20moa mount or base.

Vortex-there are 3 easy things I think would be great to see in a software update.

1. Brighter visible laser, turn the juice up a bit.

2. On the Geoballistic app, have the ability to send or share rifle profiles between people who are using the app. This would help with team matches.

3. Have the ability on the remote switch to power up the unit and start ranging. Like a triple click or long press and hold.

Vortex-there are 3 easy things I think would be great to see in a software update.

1. Brighter visible laser, turn the juice up a bit.

2. On the Geoballistic app, have the ability to send or share rifle profiles between people who are using the app. This would help with team matches.

3. Have the ability on the remote switch to power up the unit and start ranging. Like a triple click or long press and hold.
Is the visible laser able to be brightened or is that a hardware limitation? I’d love to see a brighter laser but always just wait until dusk to zero or check the zero. (But I’ll say every time I check it, since it’s been mounted, it’s held the same spot.)
#RaptarPTSD

Got my mounted up and I'm headed out to an 1100 yard range this morning. It's sitting on a 6-5 bolt gun.

Made the mistake of creating all of my rifle profiles in geoballistic and not doing it under the folder for the range finder. Had to recreate them all. It was easy to get the app data to line up with my kestrel. I basically trued all of the data by selecting the same distance that I trued my kestrel at (1000yds for my 6.5CM), and then entering the dial from my Kestrel. Winds up spitting out the same data.

I didn't tighten down the bolts with a torque wrench, but I did it by hand and then created a witness marks with a paint pen. Pulling the unit on and off and tightening back to the witness marks shows that it returns to zero.

It does not hold a relative zero when switching between guns. More to come on this. My 6.5 has a set of badger rings with their diving board, not a one-piece mount. When I put it on a spuhr mount with a diving board, the unit was several mils high and several mils at 100 yds. I'm going to try the same thing with the badger C1 mounts that I have and the night force mounts, all which have diving boards.

I believe the difference is because the spuhr Mount is 0moa which is adding 3+ mils to the laser elevation compared to a 20moa mount or base.
The geoballistic rifle management needs some work. Needs to work like kestrel where you choose the profiles you want from my rifles and simply copy them to impact folder. App lets me choose copy but will not allow move/append/overwrite to any of the slots on the impact folder. I did manage to use the web based server management to delete profiles on the impact but app still didn’t let me copy once slots were available. Ended up resetting unit to even get slots back. Am I missing something?

Reactions: Dogtown
Man, I can’t even get more than one rifle profile on my GeoBallistics without shelling out $15.

The geoballistic rifle management needs some work. Needs to work like kestrel where you choose the profiles you want from my rifles and simply copy them to impact folder. App lets me choose copy but will not allow move/append/overwrite to any of the slots on the impact folder. I did manage to use the web based server management to delete profiles on the impact but app still didn’t let me copy once slots were available. Ended up resetting unit to even get slots back. Am I missing something?
I wasn't able to copy them. I had to go in and build my profiles on top of the ones that were there.

I wasn't able to copy them. I had to go in and build my profiles on top of the ones that were there.
Yes that is what I am seeing. You can edit in that impact folder from within the app copying rifles only works from one GeoBallistics folder to another and not into the impact folder. I don’t want 10 rifles on the unit and accidentally be on the wrong one. In a match 1 only and maybe my teammates gun. In all likelihood I’m still running armboard dope anyway on the clock.

Yes that is what I am seeing. You can edit in that impact folder from within the app copying rifles only works from one GeoBallistics folder to another and not into the impact folder. I don’t want 10 rifles on the unit and accidentally be on the wrong one. In a match 1 only and maybe my teammates gun. In all likelihood I’m still running armboard dope anyway on the clock.
This. I’ve used GB for about the last year and have had it default to a different rifle profile on more than one occasion. Dislike that I can’t figure out how to delete (I know I can modify) the 10 profiles on the impact.

Man, I can’t even get more than one rifle profile on my GeoBallistics without shelling out $15.
You can erase it and add another one; and save all that money.
This. I’ve used GB for about the last year and have had it default to a different rifle profile on more than one occasion. Dislike that I can’t figure out how to delete (I know I can modify) the 10 profiles on the impact.
i m learning here too and dealing with same issue and possible solution. I tap the person silhouette in upper left corner on app that brings me to my ACCOUNT page. scroll down and tap MANAGE RIFLE under the SERVER MANAGEMENT heading. I have 17 profiles including the 10 presets.
tap the Menu on upper left and choose SUPPORT. It should display a page that starts with HELLO(your registered email) and goes into detail. hope this helps(everyone)