• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Vortex Impact 4000 Rifle/Rail mounted Range finder???

Ive been swapping in freshly charged keeppower RCR123a's before every night hunt and havent had any issues with battery. I only turn it on and range when i need it, and we make pretty short stands typically. We usually hunt for round 5-6hrs and its been in the 20's at night lately

It was about 30* over the weekend and it stayed running for 45+ min using warm batteries and individual ranges. The low bat came on like Scott mentioned but it didn't shut down. I changed the batteries out of caution so I don't know how long it would have went.

We have some near zero weather coming up. I'm going to pick up some different batteries from the store and see how long it will run without shutting off.

I wonder if running off an external battery pack would change anything?

Ive been swapping in freshly charged keeppower RCR123a's before every night hunt and havent had any issues with battery. I only turn it on and range when i need it, and we make pretty short stands typically. We usually hunt for round 5-6hrs and its been in the 20's at night lately

Our hunting style is the same, typically we’re only at a spot for no more then 45 minutes but it’s typically 20-30 depending on what we’re hearing.

How many batteries do you go through in a night? I have 4 rechargables coming to try.

IMG_0144.jpeg
IMG_0145.jpeg
IMG_0146.jpeg
IMG_0147.jpeg
I made some screen filters based on what @fifdynutz used. I had the adhesive Velcro on hand, bought the plexiglass and tint off of Amazon. Takes about 5 minutes to make one. So far using one layer of tint with the brightness turned all the way down works good. Easy to pop off and see it in the daylight.

Anyone using the MKMachine ARD with the cover? I picked one up and haven't been able to get it to range with it on.

@Tyler Kemp

Anyone using the MKMachine ARD with the cover? I picked one up and haven't been able to get it to range with it on.

@Tyler Kemp
Hmmm. you have me thinking now. the unit worked flawlessly past 2000 yards in october, and have since moved it to as gas gun side saddle config. After zeroing and recalibrating compass; I took it out to 1000+ range. the ranging showed 836 at any distance from 600 to 1300. 3,4,and 500 was spot on money. I leave the scope zeroed and run the reticle for fun(taget shooter). The one difference I never thought of was the ARD. I have some development loads to run, and will stamp out a hundo and try again with and without.
PS: I'm a big fan of MKM and am happy with all prior purchases.

OK. I just realized I dont have the ARD, but the flip cap. I seriously doubt the flip cap can impede any function of the Impact 4000.
My apologies, I got my head out front of my skis.

Last edited:
Reactions: TylerN and 260284
Hmmm. you have me thinking now. the unit worked flawlessly past 2000 yards in october, and have since moved it to as gas gun side saddle config. After zeroing and recalibrating compass; I took it out to 1000+ range. the ranging showed 836 at any distance from 600 to 1300. 3,4,and 500 was spot on money. I leave the scope zeroed and run the reticle for fun(taget shooter). The one difference I never thought of was the ARD. I have some development loads to run, and will stamp out a hundo and try again with and without.
PS: I'm a big fan of MKM and am happy with all prior purchases.
Let us know how it plays out! I did a lot of the initial product testing for our Impact ARD (I work for Tyler) and had great results in full sun and evening light to just shy of 1,000 yards. We did test other ARD designs other than honeycomb and that did not work out, but the standard hex honeycomb worked well. I did get small variances in distance, but less than the calculated advertised accuracy from Vortex. (assuming .5yrds @ 100 yrds translates to 5 yards at 1,000.

Send me an email if you have any issues. [email protected]

Reactions: btuse
Let us know how it plays out! I did a lot of the initial product testing for our Impact ARD (I work for Tyler) and had great results in full sun and evening light to just shy of 1,000 yards. We did test other ARD designs other than honeycomb and that did not work out, but the standard hex honeycomb worked well. I did get small variances in distance, but less than the calculated advertised accuracy from Vortex. (assuming .5yrds @ 100 yrds translates to 5 yards at 1,000.

Send me an email if you have any issues. [email protected]
I am using mine at night and that is when I am having trouble with it.

Anyone know of a QD mount for these units?

This is the only one I have seen. Not sure how repeatable it would be.

Reactions: rlsmith1

This is the only one I have seen. Not sure how repeatable it would be.
I’m looking for something that replaces the cross bolts altogether but after looking at the unit that may be a pretty involved replacement.

Also, got my ARD from MKM and the ODG looks awesome! Was able to range everything I could before (including a tree line at 2400 yds). I’m 90% night use so can’t speak to daytime

IMG_1882.jpeg

Please keep this thread updated on your issues. This is what’s keeping me from buying one as primary use will be night hunting in the cold. I’m getting ready to go out now.
I think it's safe to say you can buy one with no worries. Scott sent me some rechargeable batteries to try and they kept the unit running for nearly 10hrs in near 0 temps.
As usual, Scott and Vortex were outstanding in their customer service. Never once did he doubt the issue and went to great lengths to find a solution.

Gonna need to know about these incredible rechargeable batteries, brand etc.

Reactions: ST42
Gonna need to know about these incredible rechargeable batteries, brand etc.
I'll let him fill in the details. He's still doing some testing, but I wanted to "clear the air" of my previous post.

Basically, I think any rechargeable RCR123a will work. They seem to operate at a slightly higher voltage.

I think it's safe to say you can buy one with no worries. Scott sent me some rechargeable batteries to try and they kept the unit running for nearly 10hrs in near 0 temps.
As usual, Scott and Vortex were outstanding in their customer service. Never once did he doubt the issue and went to great lengths to find a solution.

Thanks for the update, I actually ordered one last night!

Please keep this thread updated on your issues. This is what’s keeping me from buying one as primary use will be night hunting in the cold. I’m getting ready to go out now.
I ran mine on one rechargeable for 8 hrs in 15° to 0° last Friday night no problems. It isn’t ranging consistently, but Scott and Vortex have a replacement on the way. Should be up and running before hunting Friday night. Let me know if anyone needs a new unopened power cord.

Reactions: Jnull
Are you guys still having the screen issues and problems with getting ranges when in continuous scan mode using good rechargeables?

I ran mine on one rechargeable for 8 hrs in 15° to 0° last Friday night no problems. It isn’t ranging consistently, but Scott and Vortex have a replacement on the way. Should be up and running before hunting Friday night. Let me know if anyone needs a new unopened power cord.
are you still running the ARD?

Are you guys still having the screen issues and problems with getting ranges when in continuous scan mode using good rechargeables?
I don't use continuous scan, especially in the cold, it will drain the rechargables sooner. Maybe with a powerbank and the cable.

I don't use continuous scan, especially in the cold, it will drain the rechargables sooner. Maybe with a powerbank and the cable.

I would only use it when somethings coming in to shooting range

You can leave the unit on for 10+ hours and run scan mode for 5 and use no more that 50% of a 5000mAh battery pack, if that's important.

In what temperature tho? Guys here were having issues with the screen even giving a range and dope using scan mode. I was hoping a battery pack or better batteries would alleviate this issue so I’d love to hear your thoughts on that.

In what temperature tho? Guys here were having issues with the screen even giving a range and dope using scan mode. I was hoping a battery pack or better batteries would alleviate this issue so I’d love to hear your thoughts on that.
17F when I tested it.

I would only use it when somethings coming in to shooting range
I don't use scan mode either. Just my opinion, but I don't think you're going to be able to come off the scope and get your data before it's sending the next ping, and now you don't know where the rifle was pointed when that info comes up.

But to answer your question. Based on my understanding, the blank screen delay was intentionally programmed in to deal with the screens slow response in cold weather. I don't see the unit behaving any different because of the power supply.

The "double ranging" symptom I reported earlier only occurs after a 5ish minute pause using the remote. The remote itself has a "sleep mode" and it takes an additional second to wake up, during which time the screen goes blank and the remote flashes orange.

Reactions: Jnull and 260284
Would like to try one of these, but would much prefer a version that had a slight cant to it (The ERGO deluxe grip that comes with the AI AT-X is perfect).
Vertical grips are uncomfortable as hell to roll around the hills with I think, personal preference.

*EDIT: I was able to get the Impact to connect to the iOS app. The trick was that I had to first use "remove" on the impact under devices. Then once that was done it would successfully connect to the iOS app. I haven't had success yet with Android and I'll try again later but for now I'm just happy to be able to have an easier way to setup all my profiles vs. having to use the keypad on the device.

Thanks, I tried clearing data and cache on Android and I just installed the iOS app just to troubleshoot the connection issue so it was a fresh install.

Here's what I'm trying and seeing Everytime I try to connect on either device.

I add Impact and allow it to scan for networks.
View attachment 8309985

It finds my impact and I hit this join button at the top of the screen.
View attachment 8309988

And then I select "Yes" on the impact to allow the app to connect. Then the app shows nothing happened and the profiles aren't synced in the app. No Bluetooth icon next to the impact, data select buttons are all grayed out. The connection doesn't seem to work. I've probably tried 20x and get the same results each time.
View attachment 8309993
I can't get mine to connect to the app on my iPhone 11. Anyone using the app on an iPhone?

I can't get mine to connect to the app on my iPhone 11. Anyone using the app on an iPhone?
To get it to connect to a different device I find I have to go into the connection settings in the Impact and forget the impact83636829 network first. Then I can connect to a new device.

FYI, @Scott_at_Vortex , might want to check with the QC to verify that if they check the Bluetooth connection in an inspection that they have in their process to remove the network on the device before repacking it.

I'm just guessing, but I think that's what might have occurred with mine. I couldn't connect until I removed the impact736373839 network on the impact. I think I finally figured out with careful manual reading but the troubleshooting for the connection issue wasn't initially clear to me.

FYI, @Scott_at_Vortex , might want to check with the QC to verify that if they check the Bluetooth connection in an inspection that they have in their process to remove the network on the device before repacking it.

I'm just guessing, but I think that's what might have occurred with mine. I couldn't connect until I removed the impact736373839 network on the impact. I think I finally figured out with careful manual reading but the troubleshooting for the connection issue wasn't initially clear to me.
@Scott_at_Vortex got with me and told me the same thing. Got it connected now.

Reactions: TylerN

First two things are to make sure bluetooth and location services are both on and available for the Geo Ballistics app.
Assuming those are on, here is what I have found is the easiest way to reset the network connections and get things connected if you are running into this problem-

Apple-
1) Uninstall and reinstall geoballistics.

2) Go to the connected devices/remove screen on the Impact and remove the Impact itself. The coin should go away.(circle with a number at the top of the Impacts display just left of center)

3) Go to the app and add the Impact. If done correctly The Impact should pop up and you can add it without getting the "allow app to join network" message on impact.

Android-

1) Clear app data. To do this- Go to app info(long press on Geo Bal icon), select storage, select clear data

2) Go to the connected devices/remove screen on the Impact and remove the Impact itself. The coin should go away.(circle with a number at the top of the Impacts display just left of center)

3) Go to the app and add the Impact. If done correctly The Impact should pop up and you can add it without getting the "allow app to join network" message on impact.

Note you will also need to press and hold up and down on remote to drop the remote from the old network before you can add remote to the new network with the app and Impact that was just created.

Reactions: TylerN and 260284
Just picked up an Impact and looking for advice on mounting above the scope or on the side? My first wmlrf, any advantages to either mounting option? I have an Mbrace mount so looks like I can go with either.

Depends.

Most ppl put on top, so if you are a herd critter put on top !
If u r gonna put in a pelican, then side mount would require u to remove and remount.
If u are righty the left side you can see it with your unengaged eye.
I find right side is easier carry for bolt gun strapped across my chest when rolling on 4 wheeler. So I've evolved to mounting on right side.

Also depends on where u mount lasers and lights - might block wmlrf.

Also depends on what clipons u use, some are tall.

I have mounted 100s of times on each of 9, 12 and 3 and all have pro and con so it depends on the gun, the other items on the gun, how you carry, how much you value seeing the distance while still behind the scope

I've even seen a guy mount on 6.

Reactions: btuse
Top is better but I had to go side because clipIR ELR too tall.

Impact does good job of rotating the display when it’s mounted on side BUT the screen is now tall and narrow so the info changes and font size. Iirc you have to swap the remote in the menu.

On a positive note the fact that the laser pattern is diagonal means it doesn’t get worse when you flip it on its side.
(Horizontal > diagonal > vertical)

It’s easy to put the stickers on the side of the POA zero instead of above it so zeroing isn’t any harder. Maybe easier.