• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex optic dilemma...

Wiscat

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Optic dilemma:

I'm going to build a 260 PRS style bolt gun, and I'm torn about what to do with my optics. Currently I have a Gen ii 3-18 on my SPR. I love the optic but it’s a bit overkill on .556(both weight and magnification. I’m going to stick with Vortex as they are local and I can buy well. My options are as follows:

1. Keep the 3-18 on my 556 and buy a 4.5-27 for the bolt gun.

2. Sell the 3-18. Buy a 4.5-27 for the bolt gun and buy a gen iii 1-10 for the SPR.

3. Put the 3-18 on my bolt gun and buy a gen 3 1-10 for the SPR.

Which option would you guys choose?

You can shoot out to 1k with the 3-18.
The only reason you’d need to buy a higher mag optic is because you want it. Nothing wrong with that!
The next few posts will I’m sure slam vortex and say get brands x y or z.
You do you.
At that glass level, it’s about distances shot vs magnification wants/ needs.
I know a guy who has a .22lr with a March 60x. All personal preference.

Ps, #3 would be my vote.

You can shoot out to 1k with the 3-18.
The only reason you’d need to buy a higher mag optic is because you want it. Nothing wrong with that!
The next few posts will I’m sure slam vortex and say get brands x y or z.
You do you.
At that glass level, it’s about distances shot vs magnification wants/ needs.
I know a guy who has a .22lr with a March 60x. All personal preference.

Ps, #3 would be my vote.
Thanks for your reply! I’m leaning to #3 as well. As for people slamming the brand or suggesting others I have no doubt you are correct. Vortex is pretty active in this community sponsoring events, creating jobs, and Answering any questions at their facility. I will stay loyal to them.

If you don't want to go through the joy that selling an optic can be I am with @HolyCity73 and would say go #3. Hi mag is not required. Nice to have? I think so. Needed? Nope. I got my butt kicked at a local match by a guy running a 3-9x. Also Vortex is a good company. I think some people equate their crossfire or diamond backs to Razor G2s which is why people bash them.

Every scope will fail, and I have seen many scopes, including a tangent theta, fail. Big thing is how the company responds. Vortex makes it clear that it is in their interest to get you back up and running. Other companies will leave you sitting around waiting.

I've got 2 of the 4.5-27 Gen IIs and really like them. That said, I rarely go past about 18-20 magnification, even out to 1300-1500 yards. The only time I use the high end is when I'm spotting for a buddy and I'm too lazy to stand up and go to my spotting scope.

My recommendation: #3 - and if you find that the 3-18 just isn't getting it done, then at that point sell it and get a 4.5-27.

Nothing wrong with Vortex. Some of the best bang for your buck glass right there.

Is a Night Force of the same magnification going to make you a better shooter? Probably not. Maybe at long range when glass clarity matters or when having .1mil adjustments matters. Otherwise.... ehh probably not.

Reactions: TACC and Wiscat
Can say nothing but good things about dealing with Vortex in the past despite my initial feeling to stay clear of 'em. It was a 1-4x PST I got on sale for $279 for a .22 integral I put together. Damn. That thing is perfect for that .22 (and it'd be great for a 5.56 too, what it was designed for I think).

Did a drive recently to help out a buddy who's been through the wringer acquire a new rifle. Folks donated their own parts, some donated cash. It was an optic we were short. Now Doug at Cameraland was gonna make it happen (nothing but good to say about them too and as a 'Hide member you should always call him to see what he can do when shopping around) but another member got Vortex involved first and they donated a brand new scope (I forget the model, not super high end, not lowest either) and a very nice hoodie, two insulated drinking cups, a sticker (which is big for me, I collect those damn things!) and some other items. Man did they come through.

I'm not big on a lot of mag either. 8x is highest I have on 5.56, I have a 10x on a Grendel. My only 25x is on a .50BMG. So I get it.

I also like to be frugal when I can and you lose money when you sell a scope.

Reactions: Mr. Z
3 would be a good choice. The 3-18x will do what you need for PRS matches. I ran one on my main Creedmoor rifle for 2 years. No issues. I only replaced it with a 4.5-27x as I moved the 3-18x to a Vudoo.

Reactions: Terry Cross
My preference for 4.5-27x56 is based solely on being able to see my hits (bullet holes .224 or larger) on paper out to 300 yards, mirage&such allowing. As others have noted, it's really, really unusual to need/use magnification higher than 15x or so during PRS-style competition. I can dial down to 12-15x as needed. But I can't dial up to 20-27 if the scope doesn't have it. Yes, the reticles on FFP optics shrink to near-invisibility at the lowest magnification levels, but I have yet to use levels low enough to make that a problem for me.

I have two such Razors - one on my 6.5CM bolt gun, one on my Vudoo .22. One of the rimfire matches I shoot regularly does such things as cutting match heads at 40 yards or tripping a pop-up through a 1/2" hole at 80 yards from the prone (or bench) with ample time limits. For my use case and preference, the high magnification is handy to have.

My $.02. There isn't a wrong answer here... just what works best for you.

High magnification is for paperwork. You will never miss a piece of steel at 1000 yards due to your magnification range. You will lose more time in PRS stages due to over magnification and limited Field Of View...can't find the target....let me zoom out....than you will miss far targets because you can't see the fibrous edges of a paper target at 500yds.

Tough call!

I’ve shot a few local matches with a fixed 10x before and didn’t necessarily feel handicapped. Granted, I’m not anywhere close to a top 10 shooter, so maybe I held my gear back more than the gear held me back. :ROFLMAO: But I made hits out to 1000 without issue, so a 3-18x certainly wouldn’t hold you back.

But as others noted, you can always dial back to a lower mag, but can’t dial above what your optic is capable of. For the small difference in price/weight, it might be worth the upgrade.

I bought my 3-18x last because my dealer didn’t have the 4.5-27 in mils, but I don’t feel like I “need” more mag at matches. It would be a good scope on your bolt gun. I can see misses and impacts out to 1,000 no problem. Haven’t taken out farther than that yet

I live near Vortex (MH) also and agree you can't go wrong there.

I say buy the 50% off coupon for $200 (from Basher on this forum) and go option 2.

Last edited:
#1. I am biased though as I like the weight and magnification of the 4.5-27 over the 3-18, even for a .223.

Optic dilemma:

I'm going to build a 260 PRS style bolt gun, and I'm torn about what to do with my optics. Currently I have a Gen ii 3-18 on my SPR. I love the optic but it’s a bit overkill on .556(both weight and magnification. I’m going to stick with Vortex as they are local and I can buy well. My options are as follows:

2. Sell the 3-18. Buy a 4.5-27 for the bolt gun and buy a gen iii 1-10 for the SPR.

I used a Bushy HDMR 3.5-21 w/H59 for desert shooting for years. I found I rarely went over 15-18x even out to 1500 yards because magnification makes everything bigger including mirage and whatnot.

I currently use a Viper PST Gen2 3-15 on both my PRS gun, Tikka TacA1 6.5CR, and my 7mm RemMag. In my first PRS match the other day, started at 15x mag and quickly had to reduce magnification to what I felt looked right at assorted distances. I didn't consciously think what power to put it on, but as I put my rifle down after the stage was done, I saw my magnification was between 8-10x. I looked at everyone's magnification at different stages. Of the 30+ shooters, there was maybe 2-3 guys that were over 10-12x magnification. One was at 18, and one was at 27x after the "long" stage at 881 yards.

I have a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 1.5-4x LVPO on my AR. Love that thing.

Options 3 with the caveat that you will actually make use of the 1-10.
If you done forsee yourself using the scope on low magnification much or at all then Id stick with the 3-18.

If weight is an issue but you wants slightly higher magnification you could consider the PST 3-15.

Thanks for all the replies! I think I’m gonna go option 3. If need be that will transition into option 2.

Reactions: Sig Marine
Options 3 with the caveat that you will actually make use of the 1-10.
If you done forsee yourself using the scope on low magnification much or at all then Id stick with the 3-18.

If weight is an issue but you wants slightly higher magnification you could consider the PST 3-15.
I agree with this, I own 2 of these in gen 2, and nomptonkems seeing out to 1200 impacts.

My logic is I'm ready for better glass that's why I am now trying g to get a razor Gen 2 4.5 x 27.

I'd never have a long range bolt gun with an 18x max mag scope on it. #3 was the first one I eliminated. I have a Delta Stryker 4.5-30, and I spend most of my time at around 25x. Positional shooting it drops down, but I'd always want to be able to go to 25x.

I am happy with my viper pst 6-24x50 ffp on my 6.5 prc seekins havak and you can buy for $500. I actually have a couple strike Eagle 4-24 x50 sfp that are pretty darn good for $300. I can spot my own shots out past 700 yards. But then I’m a budget guy. But I have been peppering the gong regardless...

Reactions: TACC
Option 3.

The 3-18 will do everything you need on a PRS rig. I RARELY shoot over 18x and if I do its a prone stage just because I can get away with the extra zoom. Like someone said above, the only reason for the "upgrade" to the 4.5-27 is because you want the extra available mag range, but its not at all needed and likely wont get used.

The 1-10 on an SPR will be awesome.

Reactions: TACC
Optic dilemma:

Well if you already have the 3-18 on the gas gun and like it why not get a 4.5-27
For the bolt gun with a matching retical
Just a thought

Reactions: Wiscat and TACC
Optic dilemma:

What does thg his have to do with Vortex?

Well if you already have the 3-18 on the gas gun and like it why not get a 4.5-27
For the bolt gun with a matching retical
Just a thought
I’m considering that. It just makes for a real heavy 556. I’m still up in the air. I have a 1 to 6 GEN two on a 14 1/2 inch gun as well. But the 1-10 is pretty impressive once you get behind it.

I’m considering that. It just makes for a real heavy 556. I’m still up in the air. I have a 1 to 6 GEN two on a 14 1/2 inch gun as well. But the 1-10 is pretty impressive once you get behind it.
I've had 1 of my 4.5-27s on my 18" spr
It is heavy but wasn't unmanageable I guess it depends on the intended use
Haven't seen the gen 3 im sure I'll run across one soon
Good luck with the dilemma

I've had 1 of my 4.5-27s on my 18" spr
It is heavy but wasn't unmanageable I guess it depends on the intended use
Haven't seen the gen 3 im sure I'll run across one soon
Good luck with the dilemma
They are pretty sweet. I could definitely see them as the end all be all 556 scope for most things I would use a 556 for. To my eye they box isn’t quite as good at 1X as the 1-6; but still pretty damn good. The clarity and usefulness of the reticle at 10X is pretty cool. It definitely feels like a bigger scope when you’re looking through it at high power.

They are pretty sweet. I could definitely see them as the end all be all 556 scope for most things I would use a 556 for. To my eye they box isn’t quite as good at 1X as the 1-6; but still pretty damn good. The clarity and usefulness of the reticle at 10X is pretty cool. It definitely feels like a bigger scope when you’re looking through it at high power.
I'll definitely be looking around for a peak at one

I have the 4.5-27 on my target bolt gun. Love it. Put a 1-8 mag scope (not Vortex)on my LaRue 20" 5.56 and hated it. Hard for my old eyes to see the 3" target at 500 yards. Bought the 3-18 HD gen2 and am happy. Working on making hits out to 700 yards with a new bullet. My AR-15 rifle is a target rifle so the weight was not a concern. Would not want to carry it far.