• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST Gen II

1-6x PST Gen 2

Initial out of the box / looking out the window impressions (will post more after a range session or two):

-much closer to the Razor 1-6x than the PST 1-4x in execution

-glass is very good for the price point (especially at the higher mag)

-on 1x, not as good as the Razor in regards to controlling fisheye, but still good, better than the PST 1-4x

-on 6x is where it really shines, I like this scope at 6x looking at subjects up to 350 yards away; it would be fine for me as a dedicated 6x fixed scope and I could likely use it all day shooting .22lr at 300 or probably .223 at 600 & in with fairly large steel targets

-I did not look through it at magnification other than 1x & 6x

-mag ring was somewhat stiff, but that's usually a good thing for this type of scope, and with a throw lever it'll probably be great

-eyebox at 1x is good, I recall the Razor being slightly more generous, but I may be wrong as I don't have one with me to compare at the moment

-eyebox at 6x is tighter than I would have liked, tighter than the Razor IIRC, but not excessively bad or enough to discount the scope entirely over it

-those looking to pick up a Razor 1-6x, but couldn't afford the $$$, this is the answer to your prayers.

-the glossy finish is better in person than it is in pics, though I might change my mind in direct bright sunlight at noon

-either they fixed the issue, or mine is better when it comes to the battery compartment. a) I used a paper towel wrapped around a quarter to open the compartment with no scratches or denting of the metal in any way b) the battery lit up the red dot illumination with just finger pressure on the battery in the compartment without the battery cover on

-red dot is definitely daytime bright. I think I would burn out a retina using it on 10 (with brand new included battery installed), I preferred it on 7/8 for the most part

-I like the reticle overall, very simple and intuitive. nothing fancy. very glad it's not cluttered and overly busy. It's impressive and effective by what it's lacking over what is is/has. for fast close shooting I wouldn't change anything about it and am very happy with both the reticle and red dot

-just based on heft and feel... I think the Razor is the more durable scope (based on nothing other than "feel"); for traveling comp & targets that shoot back... I'd pay more for the Razor over the PST G2; for local matches and a Razor clone, this fills the niche perfectly

-"80% Razor for 50% price" whoever said that nailed it

Last edited:
Little more time behind mine this afternoon after I mounted it to my grendel. It has a adjustable cheek riser and I would say the eyebox is alot easier to get behind with it. It's a keeper for sure! Glass is still looking nice and clear, if we can get a day with high heat where the mirage will be bad I will update.

Definitely is an improvement over the G1, better glass, better eye box and way better turrets. This is my first impression.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

So, how would you guys say these look in comparison to say a XTR II?

Sorry but I have no experience with Burris.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

So, how would you guys say these look in comparison to say a XTR II?

OMG... I had an XTR2 1-5x for a day and got to put it up against my PST 1-4x and a Razor 1-6x

The glass was HORRIBLE. The reticle was great and the illumination is daylight bright. Turret feel was GREAT, and basically perfect IMO for uncapped. The chances of them moving was slim, but were positive and solid, clear and not mushy. Great scope caps.

The glass was worse than the PST 1-4x by a significant margin.

The PST 1-6x blows the Burris XTR2 1-5x away like an F5 would a small car.

Razor> small but noticeable difference> PST G2 1-6> huge diff> PST G1 1-4 >small but noticeable diff> Burris XTR2 1-5

Last edited:
Haha, I just had to ask but was expecting the answer you gave... I had a 4-20 XTR II, the glass left a lot to be desired... Tracked very well and that's about where the goodness ended, but to be fair, mine was the first generation model.. I am definitely gonna snag one of these PST II models for my new Tikka T3X varmint 223...

My 1-6 shipped today, should see it thursday. Quoted 2 months max when I ordered it through their Mil program, shipped in 1.5 Curious to see how much of an improvement it is over the swfa 1-4 classic I had.

Haha, I just had to ask but was expecting the answer you gave... I had a 4-20 XTR II, the glass left a lot to be desired... Tracked very well and that's about where the goodness ended, but to be fair, mine was the first generation model.. I am definitely gonna snag one of these PST II models for my new Tikka T3X varmint 223...

That gun is the best factory gun I've ever owned. It deserves very good glass. With 77 SMK, it's an absolute tack driver. It's working so well out of the box, I'm not willing to change out the factory stock (which fits me well ergonomically).

Drip, drip, drip...........

Tracking # issued. Hope to mount and shoot Friday & Saturday. 5-25x50FFP MRAD

Has anyone compared the Vortex Viper PST gen 2 to the Athlon series? I am curious as Athlon is about 400-600 cheaper. I'm in process of picking my glass out FYI.

Has anyone compared the Vortex Viper PST gen 2 to the Athlon series? I am curious as Athlon is about 400-600 cheaper. I'm in process of picking my glass out FYI.

The only Athlon scope I've looked through was the Argos 6-30x56 which my buddy recently picked up. It's no where near the same league as a pst gen2 (or a gen1). Honestly, I thought the glass on that model was marginally better than a Vortex Crossfire. The image was clear and the reticle looked pretty good but the dimming above 20x was very noticeable. The eye box was tight and I noticed some eye fatigue after looking through it for a couple of mins. The whole scope felt cheap in comparison. It's not really a fair comparison. In comparison to Vortex lineup, I would put the Argos somewhere between the Crossfire2 and the diamondback HP (another scope I was disappointed in).

I think the Argos best feature was it's price for an FFP scope. For the ~$350 they are going for, I think the standard 6.5-20x44/50 Vipers that are on sale right now are a better value if you don't need FFP. I was really disappointed by the Argos. People on the internet are talking them up, makes you wonder what else they have to compare. Maybe the Midas or Ares would be a better comparison to the gen1 and gen2 PSTs.

Thank you to Doug and Neil at camera land. Got the pst 2 ffp 5-25x50 ebr-2c today. Ill give a review as soon as i get to play with it.

I just finished mounting and boresighting mine. I'll be on the range tomorrow to get zeroed and getting back to work for my match next week.

I'm happy with what I've seen so far.

I just finished mounting and boresighting mine. I'll be on the range tomorrow to get zeroed and getting back to work for my match next week.

I'm happy with what I've seen so far.

Where did you get yours from - Optics Planet?

Well I got out to the range today to zero the PST and start checking DOPE while changing my Kestrel from MOA to MIL on this rifle. Changing over the Kestrel went easily and all DOPE in Mils dialed right in.

Without getting into a long drawn out review I'll just make a few observations. When I get out tomorrow for a regular practice I may have more to say.

I really like the infinite adjustment on the elevation turret. Too many times my zero was a portion of a click high or low and I just had to live with it. It was nice today to fine tune that little portion before locking up the turret and getting the zero dead-nuts. I also like the smooth dial and distinct clicks on both the elevation and windage turrets. The new zero stop is soooooo much better than the shims on the Gen 1. Now it is a very solid stop, too nice.

While we're at it the zoom is also very smooth with just the right amount of resistance. The parallax is also very forgiving although it will take a few times out to get the feel of grabbing the inside dial for parallax and not the reticle illumination knob. I do like the illumination on the side though as compared to the Gen 1 location. My caps never fit right with that silly location.

They eyebox is a little tight on max zoom but I only use max zoom when shooting small on single location targets anyway so not too critical for me. Once off of max it is very easy to get good position quickly. I find that I can read the subtensions easily with the zoom at 15x and above. Lower than that and the retical is pretty much just crosshairs. Running holdover stages while trying to use lower zoom settings to get wider FOV's is something I'll need to deal with. This is one area where a SFP scope has an advantage, IMHO.

I'll just say that the glass is very nice for a scope in this price range. We could all try to give opinions and make comparisons with nothing really accomplished. It is clear and bright edge to edge. Colors are crisp and true. I had no problem getting a crisp image of a 1 1/2 MOA target at 1005 yards and even seeing hits on the steel.

I'll call it a keeper, at least until Vortex can ship my AMG's and then it will go on the wife's precision rifle. Overall it is an adequate tactical precision rifle scope at a great price point. A great value.

Last edited:
I just want to let everyone know that 5-25 FFP scopes are shipping. I received mine yesterday. I will not have time to play with it for a while since work is crazy busy right now. My totally subjective opinion right now is that this feels like a really solid scope for the money. Has a nice heft to it and turrets have a nice feel to them.

hmm is worth changing out my vortex razor HD 5-20 for viper pst gen 2 5-25?
Does it really add anything except for the higher magnification?

/Baner

hmm is worth changing out my vortex razor HD 5-20 for viper pst gen 2 5-25?
Does it really add anything except for the higher magnification?

/Baner

I haven't peeked through the Gen2, but I'd guess your Razor HD Gen1 is better glass and more durable than the PST gen 2. Just a guess.

I looked at them both at Shot Show and to me the Athlon ARES BTR has better glass.

For those of you into 3-gun I can give my experience with the PST Gen II 1-6. I had it for 3 days before it shit the bed. I got it on a Friday, I zeroed it on the following Saturday with no problems, and I expected it to perform well on Sunday. Had a 3 gun match that Sunday and the dot went out on the 3rd shot. Collectively it had 60 rounds through it and it was already busted. What happened was the illumination dial went from solid "clicks" to very mushy ones and could move very easily. I don't know if this was recoil based or it just wasn't assembled right from the factory, but I could not get the dial to stay in an illumination slot. To troubleshoot, I took out the battery, put it back in a made sure the cap was tight and put on proper and it still wouldn't stay illuminated. I'd turn it to an on position, it would flicker on for a moment and then nothing. No Dot. It sucks because it's a great scope otherwise, but I definitely see where they cut some of the cost compared to the Razor.

To their credit, Vortex next day aired me a replacement and it has yet to fail again, but my confidence has be shaken a little bit in the scope. Especially when I have several "bigger" 3 gun matches in the near future.

Following up. The replacement Vortex sent me suffered the same Illumination failure under fire. I have since returned it and upgraded to the Razor HD II. It's a shame really, the GEN II PST was really nice and the glass was great quality, but 60% of the reason I wanted that scope was the daylight bright illuminated red dot.

Cameraland may say they have them "in stock", but I think we hashed it out pretty good already that "in stock" doesn't actually mean they have them in their hands.

But, I got shipping notification direct from Vortex that my 2-10 shipped on Friday and will be here next Thursday.

I just want to let everyone know that 5-25 FFP scopes are shipping. I received mine yesterday. I will not have time to play with it for a while since work is crazy busy right now. My totally subjective opinion right now is that this feels like a really solid scope for the money. Has a nice heft to it and turrets have a nice feel to them.

Where did you get yours from?

Has anyone heard from Optics planet? Or are they still saying June - July?

Has anyone heard anything about when the PST 5-25x50 GenII MRAD FFP might be shipping at all? Or has this turned into a FALL release?

I only know some international distributors are getting small quantities - I thought optics Planet got some and I'd get mine. But OP keep telling me Fall.

Hence why I'd like to see if anyone has had a shipment from Optics planet...

Cabelas has a few 3-15x44's in ffp ebr2c Mia. I ordered Tuesday should be delivered tomorrow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anyone heard anything about when the PST 5-25x50 GenII MRAD FFP might be shipping at all? Or has this turned into a FALL release?

They are already shipping in small quantities. I got mine last week although it's on its way back this week. I should get it back again next week I hope. Nice scope, I missed it in my match today.

They are already shipping in small quantities. I got mine last week although it's on its way back this week. I should get it back again next week I hope. Nice scope, I missed it in my match today.

What was wrong with it?

looking hard at this model

What was wrong with it?

Well....after a long time of waiting for an PST Gen 2 5-25 MOA FFP I ordered from OP back in December...and reading some recent review on some of the new product challenges we are seeing....I decided to buy a Vortex Razor HD Gen 1 withe the free Spuhr mount deal from Mile High. I must say I am very happy so far! It's a great deal still for a little more money and little more peace of mind for those still on the fence while some of the quality issues get worked out with this first batch. A few pictures for those interested...mount cerakoted in Austrian FDE...

What was wrong with it?

It wouldn't hold zero. I expect to get it back next week and have it work as advertised. I really like this scope for the purpose and rifle I bought it for. It is a little disappointing but by the following weekend it will all be behind me. I'll be looking forward to my 2 AMG's whenever they finally get built and delivered. Life goes on....

I've noticed optics planet have the scope to arrive in 7-10 days when I look at it through my account (it's the first time I've done so). Their sales people keep telling me they are still due around June/July.

Ive sent an email to the guys at CS tactical - they are extremely helpful so I'll likely move my order there to help those that help us :).

I've noticed optics planet have the scope to arrive in 7-10 days when I look at it through my account (it's the first time I've done so). Their sales people keep telling me they are still due around June/July.

Ive sent an email to the guys at CS tactical - they are extremely helpful so I'll likely move my order there to help those that help us :).

We definitely appreciate your support! We do our best to meet anybody's price on items we carry to help our customers :cool:

Well got a call from Vortex today from a tech checking my scope. Said he couldn't duplicate my problem. We talked for about 30 minutes, nice guy. My PST should be on it's way back. I was very thorough in my scope mounting and trouble shooting the issue. I remounted my NF NXS and the results were perfect as usual. I can't explain it.

When I remount the PST I'll be picky as usual. I'm down to grasping at straws like wondering if something like the scope finish allowed the scope to shift in the rings. I'll clean everything with alcohol before putting it back together. Any other off of the wall ideas. I already triple checked the usual stuff and like I said the rifle was solid with the NF mounted just like it has always been with the NF and previous PST I.

I would be happy to find and admit that it was all me.