• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST Gen II

Well I am now joining the "OP is lying" group here. Even though their website is counting down the timer to 11-18 days for expected delivery, I called today and was told mid July. When I asked about the website lies I got a "well, um, hum, I guess it hasn't been updated". AMG's are 1st part of July but that is only if you believe anything they say.

Do the turrets clicks match the reticles? As in are the moa reticles matched with moa turrets and the same with the mrad?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Ian. New to this stuff. Have been reading and trying to understand all of this stuff. I have seen some mentions of mismatched turrets and reticles for different scopes. Should've prefaced it with dumb question here.
Also saw on the sport optics page it said the 5-25 ffp mrad it said it had moa turrets. Trying to see if that was a typo.
My only experience with a scope so far is a Leopold mark ar 3-9x40 mil dot.

Ian. New to this stuff. Have been reading and trying to understand all of this stuff. I have seen some mentions of mismatched turrets and reticles for different scopes. Should've prefaced it with dumb question here.
Also saw on the sport optics page it said the 5-25 ffp mrad it said it had moa turrets. Trying to see if that was a typo.
My only experience with a scope so far is a Leopold mark ar 3-9x40 mil dot.

just about everything coming out these days has matching turrets and ret. unless it's leupold.

... and I find this out 4+ years AFTER I bought it. that scope wasn't my best choice.

Reactions: Bender
... and I find this out 4+ years AFTER I bought it. that scope wasn't my best choice.

Live and learn brother, do your homework, read on here and you'll learn a lot.... Sell the leupold and accept the fact that you are gonna take a loss and move on to what you really want... We've all bought shit we weren't satisfied with at one point or another..

It's currently on my ar. Gonna change that for a red dot at some point. Going to get a tikka in 300 win mag next. It might rest on that while I save up for the 5-25 pst ii. I think I'll keep the scope and put it on my savage 22 bolt.

Live and learn brother, do your homework, read on here and you'll learn a lot.... Sell the leupold and accept the fact that you are gonna take a loss and move on to what you really want... We've all bought shit we weren't satisfied with at one point or another..

^ True words... I've bought and sold so much stuff for this hobby it's not even funny! Sometimes things have to be learned the hard and expensive way lol. But hey, at least sniper's hide exists. I don't even want to think about the money I would have wasted buying the wrong stuff if I didn't have this resource around!

ICU & Sneaky Sniper nailed it. You can't make perfect decisions in life. Primarily because you can't use knowledge you haven't learned yet, and some if it is experience based. You don't know what you need/want until you actually have it in your hands and used it for a while.

Though I am deeply grateful to Frank for having such a wonderful place to share and exchange experience/information... I'd save a lot more $$$ a year if it didn't exist because I wouldn't KNOW that I NEEDED the Minox ZP5 & Strike Eagle 1-8 this month... and will need the AMG 1-8 when it comes out...

That said, I am happy with my current setup and appreciate all the advice and tips on shooting I've gotten from this site. If not for SH, I wouldn't be able to shoot an 8" group at 100 with my $3,000+ rifle... ;) (I just tried out some of the Tubb .223 ammo yesterday and stacked 5 on top of each other at 100... very good ammo)

Last edited:
Ordered the pst gen 2 ffp ebr2 Moa yesterday from optics planet. Was quoted 10-18 days back ordered paid $975 with the make a deal discount but you are all making me feel very skeptical that I will see it anytime soon.

I'm torn between getting a Razor AMG 6-24 or a PST 5-25 and a PST 2-10. Midway says the PST gen 2's will be in on 3-21, they are usually spot on in their estimates. I'll likely be waiting alot longer for the AMG.

Last edited:
Ordered the pst gen 2 ffp ebr2 Moa yesterday from optics planet. Was quoted 10-18 days back ordered paid $975 with the make a deal discount but you are all making me feel very skeptical that I will see it anytime soon.

How did you get it down to $975? Lowest I can get it is $989 with the Lucky10 discount

I'm torn between getting a Razor AMG 6-24 or a PST 5-25 and a PST 2-10. Midway says the PST gen 2's will be in on 3-21, they are usually spot on in their estimates. I'll likely be waiting alot longer for the AMG.

get the PSTs... pick up the AMG when it becomes more available. don't wait on an optic. you might find the PST 5-25x meets your needs fine and your $$$ better spent on other stuff. You can pick up the AMG later and then compare it to your PST and see which you prefer for the $$$

(AMG is great btw)

^^^ I agree with pineoak. A scope in the hand is worth a lot more than one you can't get your hands on...

Hey LeftyJason,

Ok, I'm going to admit that even I have bought a scope that had miss matched turrets when I was getting into this, the long range game on a budget. The scope was and is a ($360) Nikon Buck master. 3-18x42 Mil reticle/ Moa turrets. Surprisingly it tracked, got me out past 1000 on many occasions. Then it died a quick death, when the windage knob snapped off shooting positionally. I going to admit another small detail, I lurked on here for 3 or 4 years before joining and asking questions that would make me look like a fool!! As the member stated above, it may do you some good to do some reading around here before posting and it never actually hurts to read the whole thread(including the original posters ?/statement) before posting, so not to look like a clown. Before the move to Scout it was a shark pit around here and if you asked a question that you could simply answer yourself with the search function or a little looking around you would get much harsher responses than mine. So, I don't feel all that bad and the other replies reenforce this response. Take minute and use that brain of yours to do a little reading instead of typing to increase your post count.

Oh Ya, I can't wait for a gen 2 Pst 5-25x50 with a ERB-2C reticle. It never hurts to actually keep a post on the actual topic of conversation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IanHusaberg out

Last edited:
I ordered my 5-25x50 ebr-2c(I think) December 12 2016 haven't gotten it yet but called a couple weeks ago and vortex said 1-2 weeks so I'm hoping I'll get it soon. I have a primary arms 4-16 x44 mil/moa that needs replacing because it sucks past 900 yards with any sort of unfavorable weather. Hope it shows up soon my local prs season starts 4/12

It's currently on my ar. Gonna change that for a red dot at some point. Going to get a tikka in 300 win mag next. It might rest on that while I save up for the 5-25 pst ii. I think I'll keep the scope and put it on my savage 22 bolt.

I prefer red dots on AR15s personally (200 yards and under)... but have you thought about a variable optic on your AR? PST 1-6x? (skip the 1-8 strike eagle)

(wow, listening to myself I sound like a Vortex shill... their marketing is getting to me...)

Okay, I'm looking hard at the PST 1-6x now. I own the 1-4x. Want to hear some reviews comparing the PST gen2 1-6x vs. Razor Gen 2 1-6x vs. strike eagle 1-8x

How did you get it down to $975? Lowest I can get it is $989 with the Lucky10 discount

you can call in and ask for a deal. they dropped about 15-25 on average on what i asked for. i did it on live chat. although they are quoting 10-16 days out they just told me a tentative date of july 13th and vortex themselves confirmed it. dont know why they openly lie about backorder dates. may just save for the next scope up in stock. summers are short in Ma. and i dont want to lose the next 5 months scopeless. very dissapointed

CameraLand just got in a big shipment. Buy them while you can. I am not affiliated with Camera Land in any way. Also got PST I discounted too,

Vortex said they will start shipping in mid April (interesting about CameraLandNY) and mine should ship 6-8 weeks after this point, I ordered mine during SHOT Show if that gives an idea.

i know i'm starting to get assed the fuck up. scope better not have a canted reticle or some other bullshit wrong with it like when the gen 1 came out.

CLNY do have them in stock. other places are looking at mid-July. grab them while you can if you want one

Last edited:
just cancelled my optics planet order and ordered from cameraland. i did have to pay full retail but its better than having a scopeless gun till july 13th that they quoted me after saying 10 days out. off topic. I spoke to a gentleman by the name of Neil at cameraland and had about as enjoyable conversation as it comes. fingers crossed it really does find its way here within the next few weeks

Neil is an awesome guy to work with at CameraLandNY, he has some great stories of when he was in some heavy metal band a while back ;)

Reactions: Bender
The metal band was all I needed to hear to cancel my optics planet order, and order the scope from Camera Land.

You won't regret it, just ask him about a music video... Also, when you order from them be sure to mention you are from Snipers Hide, not sure if they'll give any discounts on the PST II's as they are so new; however, he will often discount for SH members on just about everything else, and that's stuff on sale too... we get the best deals!

I just placed my order also online. It says in stock so once I have it in my hands next week I'll decide what to do with my OP order. I actually have an AMG and now 2- PST II's on order but need 3 scopes so maybe I'll keep the 2nd PST II if I like it enough.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

I emaiole dthem last night and they repled back that they were instiock, and with the filling of pre-orders, would probably ship Monday or Tuesday.

I've got one ordered. Hope you guys will give us a little feedback on these. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone have tracking #'s from CameraLandNY yet? I don't mean to sound nearly as anxious as I am.

I called yesterday and asked that question. I was told that they don't actually have the scopes yet. They are at Vortex going through final inspections and will be shipped the middle of next week. Whether that is direct ship from Vortex or ship to CL and then to us I have no idea. So "In stock, ready for shipment" is a relative term. Nice guys and a good conversation though. Expect more info the middle to the end of next week.

Anyone have first hand experience behind the new offerings from Vortex. Looking forward to the reviews.

As a matter of fact, I popped into the local ACE Hardware store, here in Hurricane, UT, last night, and by chance ran into the Vortex Rep showing the counter guys the new Gen II 3-15 and the 5-25. The 3-15 had a moa reticle and the 5-25 had the EBR-2C reticle. The big change I saw, separate from the change in powers, was the illumination was on the parallax adjustment instead of a 45 deg. knob back on the ocular. Much less bulky.

With that said, I wish I wasn't moving and had the spare cash to buy another Gen I as they were all on an excellent sale. I didn't get the chance to put the Gen I against the Gen II for resolution. The glass is supposed to be better.

They are being shipped straight from Vortex to your door. A lot of vendors that are selling specialized/in demand Vortex scopes are drop shipping straight from Vortex to the customer as the demand is high enough they're not going to keep it in stock anyway.

Kind of like how suppressors are sold before they're completed (just need a list of serial #s), when Vortex tells the vendor they have X number of Y model scopes about to be ready for shipment, the vendor can then "sell" those "available" as "in stock, ready to ship".

Sounds iffy, but scope buyers are a fickle bunch. Only interested in the latest and greatest for the most part, unless the deal is VERY good. There are usually a number of makes/models available in any given configuration that will work interchangeably, but there are usually only one or two "must have" scopes that are "the best" for that period of time and that is what people are chasing.

The life cycle of a rising star scope:

Vaporware -> unobtanium -> low supply -> glut (because there is new hot stuff and nobody wants this old model now)

I got my Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6x24 (in MRAD/Mil flavor). This thing is a pig - it is heavy, but that's relative. Much heavier than the Vortex PST 1-4 (Gen 1) that it replaced and is not as heavy as the Gen 2 Razor 1-6.

I upgraded from the Vortex Viper PST 1-4. It is worth the upgrade if you are thinking about it.The "glass" is plenty good enough for me (better than Gen 1 but not as crystal clear as Razor - but you pay an extra $500+). I got my scope from Kenzie Optics (no affiliation). Looks like they have one left. I also snagged a Vortex HD Razor AMG 6-24x50 from them as well, but that is for another post...

It is fast on target at 1x. The stadia are thicker (than Gen 1) and lead your eye better to center scope. The "dot" is daylight bright (small (0.15 Mil/0.5 MOA) - but works just fine). I like the reticle MUCH better than the Gen 1 (too small/thin and too cluttered - dot not daylight bright). I have only taken it out to 300 yards so far (on 5.56 rifle) and all is as it should be with holdovers. If you like dialing, this is not the scope for you (see below).

The Good:
- clear glass, uncomplicated reticle with thick stadia that help with rapid target acquisition
- day bright dot
- real 1x and nice to have 6x - smooth magnification zooming, not too tight (a switchview lever helps)
- capped turrets (this is 3-gun scope and I had bumped the Gen 1 turrents off zero several times on barricades)
- off between illumination settings

The Not So Good:
- the illumination battery compartment cap marred opening it. I was very careful. I have read of others with this problem
- why do I need to buy a separate magnification zoom lever? Trijicon and others have a nice one that comes on the scope. Annoying! (BTW, you need Switchview SV-5 for Gen 2s and AMG)
- the turrets (once you take the caps off) are REALLY hard to turn. They are low profile and hard to get a grip on. Not big deal for me, since I am using holdovers in 3-gun anyhow.

All in all (if you can find one), a nice upgrade. I think 3-gun folks on a budget that doesn't include a Razor will snap them up.

Attachments

• photo51290.jpg
    photo51290.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Thank you Isotope! I just picked up a Gen1 PST and was wondering about the G1 vs G2.

(since I bothered to look up the listed weights, I figured I'd save someone else the time and effort)

Gen 1 PST capped: 14.4 oz
Gen 1 PST turrets: 16.2 oz
Gen 2 PST capped: 22.7 oz
Gen 2 Razor capped: 25.2 oz

I'm going to wait for a tracking # until this time tomorrow, then I'm canceling my order. A week to ship for an "in stock" item is all I'm willing to wait when I paid $128 more because it was "in stock".