• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST vs. Leupold Mk 4.

Vortex PST vs. Leupold Mk 4.

• Total voters
Bottom line is its your dosh so get what makes you happy and don't worry about it. You will not have the other one so you will never know if you got it "wrong". Sounds like they are both fine

I agree that the bottom end mag nearer 4x is helpful in some hunting situations. I have had 2 MK4's (still have) never had a problem. Do I need the illumination - no because I learned that if I shoot things so late that I need it then I have a bloody nightmare trying to find the thing. So I am either NV or off for a beer.

Bottom line is its your dosh so get what makes you happy and don't worry about it. You will not have the other one so you will never know if you got it "wrong". Sounds like they are both fine

I agree that the bottom end mag nearer 4x is helpful in some hunting situations. I have had 2 MK4's (still have) never had a problem. Do I need the illumination - no because I learned that if I shoot things so late that I need it then I have a bloody nightmare trying to find the thing. So I am either NV or off for a beer.

What about early in the morning when you catch a predator such as a coyote out early searching for food? There's that situation. I dont feel that 2 power is much enough of a difference. Most times you're presented with a longer shot rather then a shorter shot. I appreciate your input though! Thank you!

i own 4 NF 2 mk4 leupold and 2 pst both moa on 6-24.. i dont know if im being biased coz im more like a nf guy..i did try compare nf to leupold then nf to pst..imo leupold is bewtween nf and pst specialy on low light..my eyes tells me that leupold is much closer on contrast to NF than pst.pst is great scope but on my serious competition? im ny NF is not around, between pst and mk4 for replacement..you bet ill set pst on the side and take leupold to use:)

I went with the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP and I am very impressed. It isnt mounted yet but at 24x power I can read 4" print on a port-a-potty at 679yds out my front window.

At 447yds I can read the truck number of a Knife River Construction truck...

Side by side to my Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x40 its identical visually. The lesser power is a draw back on the leupold to do a true side by side but they are the same price. Give or take a Jackson or two.

Heres the pics!

Yes that is blue carpet haha.

The 2nd from the left is the view from the window to the 424yd port-a-potty and also the tail end of the Knife River Truck, the numbers are above the big number 10 and read: 003-4282 seen in the middle pic.

The 4th and 5th pic is of a partially constructed building at that 679yd mark, you can see a man in a black wind breaker coincidentally walking by at just the right moment too. Hands tucked in to his jacket.

This may not seem impressive to some and the pictures made things grainy but I think it is still a damn good representation of what people can expect at $850!

Attachments

• IMG_20130412_192200_678.jpg
    IMG_20130412_192200_678.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20130414_185336_969.jpg
    IMG_20130414_185336_969.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20130414_185633_451.jpg
    IMG_20130414_185633_451.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20130414_191024_048.jpg
    IMG_20130414_191024_048.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20130414_191212_136.jpg
    IMG_20130414_191212_136.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 17
I've only ever had a mk4 and I definitely love. Functions fine and is pretty clear. It's definitely a great scope but I've never had a vortex

I got the Vortex Viper 6-24-50 Mrad a month ago for my Savage 110BA. My first impression was awesome clicks on the turrets and excellent zero line up. The brass shims seemed a little cheezy for an approx zero stop. Still, serves the purpose. My biggest complaint is the 100M focus at 24 power. I have 3 other scopes, S&B 5-25 PMII down to a cheap gun show 8-32 and they focus much better. I find myself adjusting back and forth on the viper and just can't get crisp lines and bullet holes. I have emailed Vortex CS about the problem and they want me to call one of their techs. I know it works at mid to lower powers and I am not excited about sending it in so I have not persued it yet, but it makes me think they might have a QC problem, or no focus reolution tests at full power. Still, I could not justify spending another $3500 on a S&B so maybe I should have got a $1500 Night Force or Lupi. I guess that is the trouble with mail order scopes. Throw the dice.

I got the Vortex Viper 6-24-50 Mrad a month ago for my Savage 110BA. My first impression was awesome clicks on the turrets and excellent zero line up. The brass shims seemed a little cheezy for an approx zero stop. Still, serves the purpose. My biggest complaint is the 100M focus at 24 power. I have 3 other scopes, S&B 5-25 PMII down to a cheap gun show 8-32 and they focus much better. I find myself adjusting back and forth on the viper and just can't get crisp lines and bullet holes. I have emailed Vortex CS about the problem and they want me to call one of their techs. I know it works at mid to lower powers and I am not excited about sending it in so I have not persued it yet, but it makes me think they might have a QC problem, or no focus reolution tests at full power. Still, I could not justify spending another $3500 on a S&B so maybe I should have got a $1500 Night Force or Lupi. I guess that is the trouble with mail order scopes. Throw the dice.
I agree that it is a lil hard to focus at 24 power but then again it is with high end spotting scopes at their max power unless you get a perfect hold. For the money nothing compares, the ZS is pretty lame I have to admit.

But for 850$ I will not complain. I didn't need 24 power, only wanted out to about 20x but the clarity at 21-22 is there still, 23+ seems to be where its pushin it

If you can get the mil/le discount go for the mk4. Better resale value and built like a tank IMO.

Otherwise maybe troll the PX for a used hdmr. They impressed me considerably and I've seen a couple used ones go for 1k. If I had the money I would've picked up the bushy.

New Sniper Scope

I have a Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50 mildot with illuminated reticle with TPS med alloy rings I would let go for 1K and you pay shipping if interested. I can send pictures if you want. Scope is one year old and in good shape. Had a paint job, but it all came off like new.

I'm looking for a new scope. Is yours still available?
I'm just starting training. Will be using a Colt 901LE with a 16" bbl. My workmates use a variety of types/models. My range will be 250 and under but I'd like to train longer just to get experience.
I'll be in a LE Sniper environment so even 250 would be long probably.
The "50" is bigger that I've been thinking but I really like the MK4 and if it's still for sale I'm interested.

I'm also very interested in your opinion. I can learn to shoot anything and since I'm jumping in if a change is needed down the road that's fine, but if I choose wisely it won't warrant a change.

Thank you,
Mark

Hope you can see what you're aiming at. The 6x24 units are the ones known for having fuzzy glass...
The poll is also a result of numerous, non-objective, vortex fanboys fluffing it up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Wrong.
The 4-16 is known for having glass that is inferior to the 6-24

Not a Vortex fanboy here, don't own a one.

I have gotten behind a 6-25 and it was impressive, a little cold, but very clear.

Joe

Yeah, you are right. Mine was a 4-16. For some reason i thought i had the 6-24...

Any opinions on the new Sightron S3 with exposed turrets? I had the old model with caps and it was very good. Glass was comparable to my NF. Tracking was dead on, return to zero. Just wanted exposed turrets and matching reticle. The new model has these features. Anyone compared the Sightron and Pst?

I have the Sightron S3 old style with caps on my 7mm Rem Mag. I beat that gun to shit. The scope has held zero at 300 yards very well. However, during the 2010 elk season it rained cats and dogs the whole time. 3 days in the field, my glass fogged up. Customer service cusked. NEVER will work with that brand again.

Leupy MK 4 Mildot will be on my rifle this year. Didn't even bother looking at Vortex.
My experience with illuminated reticle is if I'm looking with only moonlight as my light source, turning on the illumination ruins my ability to view clearly. However that is only on a cheap ass scope - NC Star. No idea what it's like on a high end one.

I am selling my NF NXS 5.5x22x56 with Zero Stop and HS turrets for a Vortex Razor because I want a First Focal Plane scope and my buddy loves his Razor

I have the Sightron S3 old style with caps on my 7mm Rem Mag. I beat that gun to shit. The scope has held zero at 300 yards very well. However, during the 2010 elk season it rained cats and dogs the whole time. 3 days in the field, my glass fogged up. Customer service cusked. NEVER will work with that brand again.

Leupy MK 4 Mildot will be on my rifle this year. Didn't even bother looking at Vortex.
My experience with illuminated reticle is if I'm looking with only moonlight as my light source, turning on the illumination ruins my ability to view clearly. However that is only on a cheap ass scope - NC Star. No idea what it's like on a high end one.

That is too bad they didnt hold up their end of the deal and make it right...

Ya that is not the case with this vortex, the illumination helped a ton once it was 30 minutes after shooting hours. AKA the end of hunting time for the day. The leupold reticle was hard to see and not as clear, probably due to the 40mm objective. The vortex with illumination was still more clear, I could make out a centrail air conditioning unit outside a house at 600yds at that point. The leupold let me see it but it was fuzzy. Again probably due to the 40mm objective.

Edit: Its a shame you didnt actually look at vortex. You would have been impressed and saved money at the same time. For your application it sounds like it woulda been a great match.

Edit: Its a shame you didnt actually look at vortex. You would have been impressed and saved money at the same time. For your application it sounds like it woulda been a great match.

50mm. Picked it up for $900 from a guy who wanted a reticle that matched his turrets, this one is MIL/MOA. Hadn't even been mounted. I love it. Leupold is 2 miles away from my home and made in America (at least the MK 4 is assembled here). I work providing industrial control design and programming to American manufacturers. Machine tools, manufacturing cells, etc. Made in America means EVERYTHING to me.

I have a VX7L from them, purchased for $850, no longer made, but it's simply awesome.

Last edited:
would go with the 4-16 as opposed to the 6-24

Magnification is not always the solution and many times can be more of a problem

I understand where you are coming from but the 4-16 has known fuzzy glass issues and is far inferior to the 6-24, 2 power on the bottom end is hardly a reason to go for lesser power.

No butt hurtrdness here, and you're right. It was the 4-16. My bad.
I remember now that after my experience with the 4-16 i tried to order the 6-24 and then sell the 4-16. They didn't have it in stock and i was talked into the loopy. No regrets here and definitely not trying to justify my purchase. I'm glad to have paid extra for an American-made product.

I am guessing you probably paid extra for an "American Assembled" product.