• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor 5-20x50 HD at SWFA.com....(LL review)

Re: New Vortex Razor 5-20x50 HD at SWFA (PICS)

Considering the Premier is $2499 and the NF is $2290. I think the Razor @ $1999 does have a place. Also, with the whole 5mils/turn crap that will get my creedmoor to 700 meters and, can get to 1000 meters in just over two so for me, that argument is a moot point. I can't recall alot of complaining about the F1's limited elevation per turn. I also don't believe Premier's reputation was "shot" as it was said with their hiccups along the road. Every Vortex product I have ever had or seen has been superb.

Saw the article, swung by SWFA this afternoon and that cart in the pic now has 1 less Vortex Razor on it
smile.gif

Picked up the box and though it was made of cast iron.
35mm tube, sexy grey/bronze finish, over 37 mils adjustment on the unit in my hands, most functional zeros stop yet, included sunshade, flip caps, and level. Box has 2 manuals, one for the scope, and another for the reticle explaination. This reticle is mils for dummies. If you can't grasp 0.1 mil readings on target after this, you need a new hobby.....it's that easy.
Parallax says min 40 yards. At 5x image is sharp and crisp at 35 feet.

Gotta run, have it bolted to a rifle and going out in the pasture to shoot some critters this evening.

Unless I'm mistaken that $2290 for the NF includes rings. If you add the $200 for rings for the Vortex you are right there with it.
Way back when the rumor was for this scope to come in about $500 under the competition (NF).
I've been rooting for this scope for a long time and must admit I am disappointed as the gain in the scope market isn't what I was hoping for.
It does look like a nice scope for sure.
I just don't think that is quite as relevant for me in this economy.

Why are they backordered online, but sitting on the showroom floor?

Maybe only one cart full?
Dogbones, what's up with that avatar? That looks real!
Tell me that's not one of the good guys!

Googling.
Back to our scheduled programming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Considering the Premier is $2499 and the NF is $2290. I think the Razor @ $1999 does have a place. . . .

Every Vortex product I have ever had or seen has been superb. </div></div>

A couple thoughts for you;

1. Many of us are paying a lot less than $2499 for our Premiers. At least until 2010. Ask around.

2. No Vortex product has <span style="font-style: italic">ever</span> been subjected to what it is going to see in Frank's hands. Welcome to the tactical scope market.

i hate this wen i start saving money for a new almost elected scope you guys show an other one, if you guys don`t stop doing this i`ll finish sleeping on the street whit a bag full of riflescopes LOL.

$1500 w/ rings and you would have really cut a new place in the market. Now the question will be NF, USOptics, Premeir......(drum roll) Vortex. I have Vortex binos (great price and great product). Now I need to get the popcorn ready....

Do wish they would have gone 34mm.....

The Vortex products I have had were excellent and as good as the competitors products selling for twice the price.

I hope this optic is as well. Also, I bet the actual street pricing ends up closer to $1500 than $2K. If not at the beginning then in less than a year. I just dont see enough guys dropping close to $2K in the beginning.

$1500 (w/ rings) please give me a call....I would have homes for 1 maybe 2 of them. $2200 (w/ rings) I would go to the NF F1....

I am just sayin'

(lord I hate that comment, If I was not sayin' it then who was.....)

CHRIS FARRIS@SWFA forums: "Vortex succeeded in their mission. It's easy to top a product that already exists because all of its stats and abilities are known, all you have to do is out spec them and offer more features. It really helps if you do it in the same factory that Night Force uses, too."
So these are manufactured in the same house as Nightforce?
I hope SWFA can confirm on here as well.
Not cutting down the scope, just want to get my facts straight. I like this scope, especially the M'rad reticle. I believe the rings should be included in the $2000 price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Considering the Premier is $2499 and the NF is $2290. I think the Razor @ $1999 does have a place. . . .

Every Vortex product I have ever had or seen has been superb. </div></div>

A couple thoughts for you;

1. Many of us are paying a lot less than $2499 for our Premiers. At least until 2010. Ask around.

2. No Vortex product has <span style="font-style: italic">ever</span> been subjected to what it is going to see in Frank's hands. Welcome to the tactical scope market.

</div></div>

I know they can be had for less, those are prices straight from SWFA.com and eurooptic.com. Don't you think the vortex can be had cheaper? I have heard quite differently as far as rough treatment goes, I have been told by several people(who should know) that these scopes have been banged around quite roughly. We shall see, I just don't want people to start commenting in a negative light. I think every company has a right to prove themselves in the tactical scope market.

I agree, I know if they would have come in under NF I WOULD be buying one of them today! Now, I will go to a NXS sfp and be happy with that. The one thing about this rifle game, I am getting tired of feeling like I am an ATM machine, look at all the hype they had and a head of steam, they still have some but have scared off a lot of bussines at this price, I hope that they do good with it though.

I'm going to reserve judgment until LL hammers this thing and sheds light.

WoW, I like that alot! Damnit SWFA why do you have to show me this when Im about to make my final pick? lol. It doesn't come with the rings does it?

Jake

It would be off my list simple for the elevation knob that's way way larger than it needs to be. While not a deal breaker it would be nice to see more elevation in a single turn.

That and at $2000 at least until it's been on the market and proven for at least a year I'd lean to other already proven options at the same price level. If it has vastly superior glass compared to the NF with equal durability etc. it will probalby sell well down the road as it earns a rep. As others have repeatedly hammered home, at $1500 this thing would sell like hot cakes, at $2000 it's already a flooded price point in a small market share to begin with and buyers are going to be skeptical with so many other proven options in the $2000-2500 range. Sure technically it's $200 cheaper than a NF, but at $2000 and over $200 isn't enough to motivate a buyer one way or another. At $1500 they'd have had the market from $1000-2000 to themselves basically.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Sure technically it's $200 cheaper than a NF</div></div>

Keep in mind you get free rings with the NF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Sure technically it's $200 cheaper than a NF</div></div>

Keep in mind you get free rings with the NF </div></div>

Oh, don't think you aren't paing for them
wink.gif

Hunter the point being that when comparing price points you have to factor in rings purchase with the vortex, not so with the NF. Simple really
wink.gif

I like the reticle. Mostly how the lateral .2mil area of the reticle is fine dots vs. hash marks like on the Horus. I wonder how visible the are on low power, or low light conditions though.

I'm with Lindy though, I think they should expect the lawsuit from Horus...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hunter the point being that when comparing price points you have to factor in rings purchase with the vortex, not so with the NF. Simple really
wink.gif
</div></div>

So, it's a convenience thing?

I think the reticle differs enough from the horus that they wont have to worry about a lawsuit, I am sure vortex did their homework before they rolled out production

For $1500 or less Id maybe give one a look, but at $2000 + I need to buy 35mm rings, Ill pass.
If Im gonna drop $2000+, Im goin NXS F1 or for a few more bucks a S&B.

At any rate it looks like a nice scope, I just think Vortex may have shot themselves in the foot by pricing a "new" scope at the same price as proven performers. If they would have kept them at $1500 or less and stayed with a 30mm or 34mm tube, they would have owned that price range. IMO, the hefty price tag for an unproven scope, coupled with the 35mm tube isnt gonna sway many shooters to jump ship...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For $1500 or less Id maybe give one a look, but at $2000 + I need to buy 35mm rings, Ill pass.
If Im gonna drop $2000+, Im goin NXS F1 or for a few more bucks a S&B.

At any rate it looks like a nice scope, I just think Vortex may have shot themselves in the foot by pricing a "new" scope at the same price as proven performers. If they would have kept them at $1500 or less and stayed with a 30mm or 34mm tube, they would have owned that price range. IMO, the hefty price tag for an unproven scope, coupled with the 35mm tube isnt gonna sway many shooters to jump ship... </div></div>

couldnt agree more with everything in this statement, but down the road a year or so with a proven track record it might sway some

You don't have to change much to get around a patent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who will be first? </div></div>

LowLight</div></div>

I've heard that too...
smile.gif
twice now. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to reserve judgment until LL hammers this thing and sheds light. </div></div>

I agree and wonder if it will be put through the same tests as the s&b and hensolt? I really want to see how it holds up after a toss off the roof while mounted to a rifle.

I am not going to slam them for the price point either but it better hold up really well and not have one little issue if they are going to compete in that price range. All in all looks like a nice scope.

NOmag

i can assure you that Frank wont go lightly on this scope. It will get rung out just like the rest of em

Everybody jumps to conclusions so fast, it is crazy. Lets see what Scott and other sells this thing for. The real reviews will come (just like with the Heritage) when dozens of final production models gets in the hands of the general pop.

Lets see street price. Ultimately it will be determined by the market.

hey hydro i think if im not mistaken scott posted something last night about the pricing on this thing and said it would be "on the downhill side of 2K" ill see if i cant dig up the link

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hunter the point being that when comparing price points you have to factor in rings purchase with the vortex, not so with the NF. Simple really
wink.gif
</div></div>

So, it's a convenience thing?

</div></div>

Hunter,

It's a price thing.

Nightforce = $2290 rings included.
Vortex = $1999 (SWFA price I believe) without rings. Add $200 for rings and you are in the same ballpark with the Nightforce.

Get it? Mmmm Hmmm
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hunter the point being that when comparing price points you have to factor in rings purchase with the vortex, not so with the NF. Simple really
wink.gif
</div></div>

So, it's a convenience thing? </div></div>

Hunter,

It's a price thing.

Nightforce = $2290 rings included.
Vortex = $1999 without rings. Add $200 for rings and you are in the same ballpark with the Nightforce.

Get it? Mmmm Hmmm. </div></div>

That's kinda my point, the price is right about the same. From my experiences, NF vs. Vortex performance per dollar I'll go with Vortex. The Vortex Viper I had tracked just as accurately as both my NXS's, the glass was every bit as good as the NXS'x if not better and at a very goos price. I know it's apples-oranges NXS vs. Viper but, I am very confident in Vortex's ability to provide a superior product at an excellent price. I know that the Razor isn't proven just yet, but niether was the Premier when released and people welcomed it with open arms. Granted, Premier has several hiccups along the way, from what I have been told is Vortex has done their homework to avoid such issues. I'm just saying, same-ish price Vortex vs. NF my money will prolly go to Vortex everytime based on my experiences. I am not a NF hater either, I've had several and liked every one of them.

the NXS is not on the same price plane as the new Vortex. The New Vortex is on the same price plane as the NF F1, ffp mil/mil and such. NXS doesnt compare to the F1 either

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the NXS is not on the same price plane as the new Vortex. The New Vortex is on the same price plane as the NF F1, ffp mil/mil and such. NXS doesnt compare to the F1 either </div></div>
+1 I can't agree more.

Re: SWFA's pics hmmm.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We've been having a blast.

Vortex_Razor_HD_Truck_Load.jpg

Here's a non-studio pic that shows the color better.

Vortex_Razor_HD_Rifle_Scope.JPG

They come in cool boxes too.

Vortex_HD_shipment.jpg

The rings are nice and Made in the USA.

Vortex_35mm_scope_rings.JPG

Now accepting back orders. Order online at SWFA.com </div></div>

CF, who does your photoshopping? those photos look a lil funky. A friend of mine(helluva photog) mentioned the pics look a lil simulated to me. Quite the charlatan aren't ya?

I stared at it for 10 minutes. The only thing strange I can find is the AI. It appears to be floating above the ground.

Really hard to say....the one on the right looks like it should slide over and rest against the door, but I'm not an expert. Could be real....if it's not it's a damn fine PS job!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOmag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who will be first? </div></div>

LowLight</div></div>

I've heard that too...
smile.gif
twice now. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to reserve judgment until LL hammers this thing and sheds light. </div></div>

I agree and wonder if it will be put through the same tests as the s&b and hensolt? I really want to see how it holds up after a toss off the roof while mounted to a rifle.

I am not going to slam them for the price point either but it better hold up really well and not have one little issue if they are going to compete in that price range. All in all looks like a nice scope.

NOmag </div></div>

What he said...

It ain't proven till I've seen Frank chuck it off the tower...
grin.gif

The AI does look funny because you can't see the butt.

L1020623.JPG

Guys don't forget that we will beat any price out there. Not match it but beat it.

Im curious as to how you got a pic of 18 scopes on your cart. I was unaware that any one dealer had that many.
confused.gif

What do the turrets feel like and how easily/smoothly does the magnification and parallax knobs turn? The Viper I used to have was excellent in both accounts, if this is the same then I may have to see about trading in a USO or Heritage on it to give it a try.

SWFA, would you mind posting a pic of all 18 scopes like in a pyramid shape? minus the two that you have already given out for reviews.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWFA, would you mind posting a pic of all 18 scopes like in a pyramid shape? minus the two that you have already given out for reviews. </div></div>
Are you serious?
Why would SWFA want to spend time and money to create such perfect image tweak?

The W&E movement is positive and tactile, but not audible, as it should be.
The parallax and mag adjustment glide without binding.
Mag ring is rubber coated for a pretty solid non-slip grip, even with two fingers.

Michael,

Are you going to be at Tac-Pro this weekend? What did you mount your Vortex on?