• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor 5-20x50 HD at SWFA.com....(LL review)

Re: New Vortex Razor 5-20x50 HD at SWFA (PICS)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWFA, would you mind posting a pic of all 18 scopes like in a pyramid shape? minus the two that you have already given out for reviews. </div></div>
Are you serious?
Why would SWFA want to spend time and money to create such perfect image tweak?
</div></div>

I dunno on a second look I saw something strange

3972673735_7465bc93f0_o.jpg

Amateurs.
Look at the mirrors in the chromed bumper. Picture is either real, or done by people who you typically do not contract to post a picture on SH.

I see that there is a Razor 1-4 model, and chance of a tweener like a 2-10, 3-15 or a 4-16?

I've heard that they have something in the works but they ain't saying.

Well, Vortex has had the reputation of being able to provide such excellent quality and smashing the prices of the competition's comperable products. If they have this scope priced at a retail of 2500, it must be one heck of a scope. I like the sharp crisp lines of the scope, but some of the other things mentioned don't seem to make sense, like the tube dia., but I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Vortex that there must have been a reason.

AFA the scopes being made in Japan, Japanese glass has always been on par with the highest quality in the world in camaera lenses, ie: Nikon. Shouldn't be any different in the scopes. I have no problem with them being made in Japan.
JMO.

Certainly the scope and specs look fantastic. I have a Vipre and Diamond model and have been happy with their optical quality. Overall, I don't have any hesitation to get another Vortex. Just wish I have the money for this Razor.

Can someone confirm 100% where these are made? Can anyone confirm if they are made in the same factory that NightForce use?

Rath

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone confirm 100% where these are made? Can anyone confirm if they are made in the same factory that NightForce use?

Rath </div></div>

Only someone with Vortex could 100% confirm/deny if they are made in the same place as nightforce. any statement to the contrary is total rumor and speculation. If someone outside oof Vortex claimed they "knew" that they were made in the same factory as NF I think I'd go as far as raising a big BS flag. But, they are made in Japan.

Thanks about Japan Confirmation, I had heard they were produced in Indonesia.

Rath

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got the Vortex in my hand. I didn't expect it to be this nice. </div></div>

LOL. There went the first 250. There will be a longer line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got the Vortex in my hand. I didn't expect it to be this nice. </div></div>

Hopefully I'll have mine tomorrow(fingers crossed)

That wouldn't be a very good review. It needs to be done right.

I will say they have been watching, listening and did their homework, right down to the separate instruction manual for the reticle and the MILs.

The pictures don't do it justice I will say that.

Good for Vortex. When I got their Viper binos, I knew they were capable of producing quality glass for a good price. I hope they keep doing that.

this has gone on too long for me to not weigh in:

i dont see the fuss on price. i dont see why as the general public we should be privileged to super discounted magically outfitted top shelf scopes. if i were to spec out a USO scope in the same way, its going to cost more, and thats about as ala carte as it gets so it gives me a rough idea on the cost of such options to produce.

i diddnt get into the long range game with the impression that the high tech toys were going to come cheap.

its just another way to skin a cat as far as i see. the good stuff is always gonna be pricey, and if its still pricey and ISNT the good stuff, it ceases to be an option to anyone. (and well be sure to hear about it)

/rant

051F,

I've no problem with the Razor pricing. I think the general feeling is that a expectation regarding price was created but not delivered upon. If the Vortex is better than more expensive scopes out there it will be a "bargain".However there still exists an opportunity for a company to produce a scope that offers the qualities that appeal to tactical shooters without +2K pricing.

I expect these scopes to arrive soon, it's just a pity the Razor was not that scope as it would have been a positive catalyst for scope industry change.

I'm looking forward to LL review, if it's as good as spouted then I'll probably get one.

Rath

FYI,

Within the box, which was done really well is:

Sunshade
ARD (separate from Shade)
Allen wrench
Scope Caps (BC style, but different)
Scope Level/ring
2 Instruction Manuals

Pretty complete package.

How does the glass compare to the others?

I'm not saying, I absolutely "HATE" the glass comparison crap.

What should I say,

"it's sharp as a tack"

"Clear as Crystal"

It looks like they invested very well, how's that.

That works for me. Just curious if the glass appears crisp. If that makes sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That wouldn't be a very good review. It needs to be done right. </div></div>

Throw that fucker off the tower....
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That wouldn't be a very good review. It needs to be done right. </div></div>

Throw that fucker off the tower....
grin.gif
</div></div>

I second that... You can bet your A I won't be doing it to mine
wink.gif

From a Horus fan, I'm REALLY diggin the reticle. It's looks muey better than the Horus to me, but I just don't have it in me to spend that much on a scope I'm not sure of.

Got burnt on that with the Horus scopes I bought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not saying, I absolutely "HATE" the glass comparison crap.

What should I say,

"it's sharp as a tack"

"Clear as Crystal"

It looks like they invested very well, how's that.

</div></div>

LOL, nice one Lowlight. I'm sure the glass is fine for me! Now just put it through it paces ASAP!

Jake

Ok, my $.02....

Will Vortex offer this reticle to other companies? Horus has been the Forrest Gump of manufacturers, it would seem. The idiot savant of capitalism. Good ideas with the shittiest concept of proper licensing. Perhaps that is changing.

I LOVE the Vortex reticle (well, at least from the .pdf info). It's like an improved Horus / GEN II XR.

The reticle is better in person, I normally don't like them at all, but they did a good job on the reticle.

The hold offs are not bold, they are more muted than a Horus Reticle, so it makes them useful without being in your face. Something we noticed immediately and commented on.

One of those things that worked in execution, because when you see a drawing of them everything looks the same, and in this case it is not.

Three initial observations:

1) If there's contrast between the hash marks and the dots on the reticle, and muted hold-off marks besides, then it's probably easier to use than the Horus. If it lights-up properly it will certainly be better than the Horus.

2) When comparing this scope on price I'm not sure that I've got to factor-in the cost of a Horus reticle, though. When a $3200 German brand leader sells for $2450, a US made $2600 premium competitor can be had for $2000 with a better reticle, both are competing with a very durable value leader at $2090 which includes $ 160 worth of rings, and a quality Super Sniper varible can be contracted-out and sold at a profit for $599, then I'm just not sure where this new scope fits in.

I'm guessing that it would take market share from Leupold if it came in at the $1400 mark. But regardless of what it lists for, at a $2000 street price the manufacturer may have to be satisfied selling fewer and making more on each one, which may or may not be the business model.

3) People buy on price, not because of any warranty. That's because warranties exist to protect companies, not consumers. So, in theory, too good a warranty will hurt credibility instead of bolstering it. But I'm not complaining: just to compete at this price point the warranty on a new scope needs to be as good as it is. However, and especially if I buy one of the first few, I want to know that the manufacturer is well-established and will remain in business.

Don't forget guys, we take trades. If you are interested in one of these new Vortex HD scopes we can get you into one for less money out of pocket.

We'll even discount the one LL has once he's done with it....might have a few scuffs on it though.
Bandito.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive been told be a couple people that have seen them not Vortex reps mind you that the glass is on par with anything currently offered. Is it that good? I dunno but, I sure hope so. vortex has a really great cost-performance ratio. Kinda like some you get less performance that you should for what you paid Vortex has been the exact opposite for every piece of optics of theirs Ive looked through.(fingers crossed) </div></div>
I've been told by a person who sells all the lines that the Vortex Razor's glass isn't as good as PR's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive been told be a couple people that have seen them not Vortex reps mind you that the glass is on par with anything currently offered. Is it that good? I dunno but, I sure hope so. vortex has a really great cost-performance ratio. Kinda like some you get less performance that you should for what you paid Vortex has been the exact opposite for every piece of optics of theirs Ive looked through.(fingers crossed) </div></div>
I've been told by a person who sells all the lines that the Vortex Razor's glass isn't as good as PR's.</div></div>

Oh my god really, no, you can't be serious, are you sure... but it's HD, not to mention clear as crystal and sharp as a tack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh my god really, no, you can't be serious, are you sure... but it's HD, not to mention clear as crystal and sharp as a tack. </div></div>
Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a needle in my eye!

ROFL....

SWFA, what kinda deal you talking about on the Frank'd one? I'll take one that's beat to shit....

Not sure I want it after it's gone overboard like that, although I guess that unconditional warranty would be your saving grace there.

I'm sure the glass is on par with other high end offerings with Jap glass in them. I'm sure there are better out there that cost more, probably with German/euro glass. At what point does it become enough and everything else is just overkill? If I bought one, and it beat my zeiss low-end glass for clarity, then i'd be happy. I don't get into all the glass hoopla either, I just like a nice clean image without any of the blue haze you get in cheapos. So far the falcon, NXS, and zeiss have failed to disappoint. I haven't had a S&B or premier, so I guess I wouldn't know what I was missing.

My only real gripe with the appearance of this is that the turrets look really tall, which is why I hate benchrest turrets... they just get in the way. At least they don't have "grabber fins" like the falcons do, lol. The turret knurling looks very Nightforceish, which is cool.

The reticle looks badass, I'm glad to hear Frank's assesment of it. I like my horus reticle alot, but it is very "busy" with all the lines that obscure the field of view. I should have got my reticle in a USO instead of in the horus hardware, but that's another story.

I like the finish color, sorta has a FDE or "urban grey" look to it in pics. Power range is nice, and the FFP is a must-have feature to me now that i've had it and am spoiled by it. These do come with an ARD and shade, so that's one less thing you gotta buy, which is nice. I don't really care on the rings, you can get some for less than the $200 these cost. I'd rather see the 34mm as well, that would be a nice production change.

I'll wait a while and see how the prices go on the production models. Hopefully they come down a bit. At this point, not even my soul is worth the trade in value i'd need to buy one, lol.

that's my completely unprofessional $.02 having only looked at it and read most of the info provided on page one and from LowLight.

I agree the turrets are rather tall, but how long has the Loopy M1 turrets been out there? This isn't something that's exactly new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive been told be a couple people that have seen them not Vortex reps mind you that the glass is on par with anything currently offered. Is it that good? I dunno but, I sure hope so. vortex has a really great cost-performance ratio. Kinda like some you get less performance than you should for what you paid Vortex has been the exact opposite for every piece of optics of theirs Ive looked through.(fingers crossed) </div></div>
I've been told by a person who sells all the lines that the Vortex Razor's glass isn't as good as PR's. </div></div>

I think that may very well be the case, the european optics may have the slight edge. But, some say PH has the best glass some say Hensoldt some say S&B some like USO. They are all VERY good. Each person should look through prospective scopes and decide what they like, not what someone tells them they should like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree the turrets are rather tall, but how long has the Loopy M1 turrets been out there? This isn't something that's exactly new. </div></div>

not new, it's just something I try to avoid when possible. I'm not a leupold guy anyway so it's not a problem, lol.

so in a decision making process between an nightforce (too bad they don't make the 5.5-22 in an FFP), Premier, or this one... would or should the adjustment range play a factor? this had 123 moa adjust on both elev and wind. I think the premier has 103 elev and 41 wind and nightforce is 100 and ???

What do you think?

The question would be do you really need that much elevation or do you have a place to shoot that can take advantage of that much elevation? I would say that 99.999999% of the people around here would need the 20 more MOA the Vortex has over the PH, S&B, NF ect... 100 MOA is way more then enough.

i was just thinking that if it is kind of a toss up between a couple - that's another nice advantage of this scope over the others, not that i'd use that much anyways for me.

I've got 25 mil (90 moa) up left in my PH 3-15 from my 100 zero. It's sitting on a 20 base on .308. As long as a scope has at least 65 moa Internal travel it works for me.

I don't put much weight into which scope has the most travel. PH, S&B, RZR, NXS, & USO all have plenty. I'd pick the one which has the features you're after and have at it

odd enough - this vortex scope seems to have all of the features i would be looking for... from what i've read. Nice reticle, 5x - 20x, 50mm obj (56 would be great too!), optional anticant, zero stop, good glass, and decent price! Only thing left is how well it stands up to some abuse, recoil, etc... and too bad not black
smile.gif

Do the clicks still remain tactile in subzero weather?

Here are some through the scope pics. The shell sign is 998 yards away.

5x, 10.5x and 20X

Brady
5x.jpg

10.5XVotex.jpg

20xvortex.jpg