• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor 5-20x50 HD at SWFA.com....(LL review)

Re: New Vortex Razor 5-20x50 HD at SWFA (PICS)

I am very interested to see this as well. I handled one at the shoot this last weekend and it seemed pretty nice.

I'm gonna make a complete post about it, and I'll definitely have the video up today... at least part 1, which is the fun video... the meat and potatoes video will come after.

But I will accompany the video with a full review for everyone.

Yes, I am still using the scope if that helps anyone, it barely has a scratch on it, we dragged the scope across the pond, dropped it from the tower, and blew it up, technically twice, and I am still using both the rifle and scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm gonna make a complete post about it, and I'll definitely have the video up today... at least part 1, which is the fun video... the meat and potatoes video will come after.

But I will accompany the video with a full review for everyone.

Yes, I am still using the scope if that helps anyone, it barely has a scratch on it, we dragged the scope across the pond, dropped it from the tower, and blew it up, technically twice, and I am still using both the rifle and scope. </div></div>

Well, I'm glad to hear it's durable, no surprises there. Can't wait for the full review

I'm laughing so hard right now, I think I may have coughed-up my spleen.

LL you have lost your f...ing mind! You're never borrowing any of my gear without adult supervision...Ahhaahaahaahaa!

-Pat

I'll trade in my NXS 3.5-15 mlr/mil w/ zero stop! Only 1 month old! Just kidding... Love my NXS. I can't wait for my Razor to arrive though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, gonna try to have the video uploaded today, until then,

SH-Vortex2.jpg

Continue to discuss... and I should see the bidding numbers go up on this scope.

When the video is finished I will start a new post. </div></div>

Ahhh, shit, dude, you blew 4 inches off of your barrel...

I can't wait for this review! I can't believe they let their scopes go through this abuse.

LL, would you be able to make a simple comparison on the glass compared to NightForce?

-R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The video is uploading. </div></div>

Thanks Frank. Appreciate you doing all this so we don't have to! Haha!
grin.gif

Damn...running it like there's no tomorrow. I like your style LL

-V-

Just finished watching the video, great job man! Thank you.

Oh and yeah you boys are crazy!
grin.gif

These scopes must be real pieces of shit(LOL), I have not seen a one for sale yet here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These scopes must be real pieces of shit, I have not seen a one for sale yet here. </div></div>

Yeah, TOTAL crap! LOL
grin.gif

That's good news that there have been no reported breakages!

I just can't get over that big ol penis knob on top though.LOL

Steve

The knobs do look kinda funny, but only because the paralex knob is smaller than the windage knob, they should either make the windage knob and paralex knob the same size or hang the designer for being retarded.

They should also hang Vortex's accountant right next to the designer. @ $2k without 35mm rings, it is priced about $200-$300 too high.

At a street price of $1700-$1800. they would have owned the market, with only IOR and whatever Leupy is pushing as an FFP mil/mil scope, as close competitiors. Alas they did not, so with a street price of $2k, and no rings, it puts it squarely into the same neighborhood, a the NF F1, Premier Heritage, USO's and even heavily discounted S&B's are not that much more of a reach.

Great glass, thoughtful design, and shitty price point. Oh well, nice first try for Vortex none the less.

Bob

Bob I suggest if you're serious about one I'd call a vendor or 3. My guess is $1999 is the MAP price. Not the "street" price.

I bought my Viper well below MAP. All I had to do was inquire.

to along with Bob said, I find it kinda strange that alot of the Vortex products are priced in the sub 500 range, then scope has a 2k price tag, and its new to the market, so only time will tell if its here to stay.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They should also hang Vortex's accountant right next to the designer. @ $2k without 35mm rings, it is priced about $200-$300 too high.

At a street price of $1700-$1800. they would have owned the market, with only IOR and whatever Leupy is pushing as an FFP mil/mil scope, as close competitiors. Alas they did not, so with a street price of $2k, and no rings, it puts it squarely into the same neighborhood, a the NF F1, Premier Heritage, USO's and even heavily discounted S&B's are not that much more of a reach.

Great glass, thoughtful design, and shitty price point. Oh well, nice first try for Vortex none the less.

Bob </div></div>

How many Vortex Razor's have you used? The MAP is $1999 as has been mentioned,call around. The price is just fine for what you get, an excellent product and better than excellent CS.

Hunter, are you gonna take your toys and go home if they don't quit talking bad about your Razor? You've driven this thread to the length it is almost singlehandedly. It seems you’re more than a mere consumer; it's like you've got a hidden agenda (Vortex rep?). If the scopes are still selling at 1900.00 in 6 months you’ll be able to label me surprised.

Agreed, If you look at the trend that followed the Premier H pricing I'd expect to see the Vortex in the 1650-1750 new and about $1400 used bracket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hunter, are you gonna take your toys and go home if they don't quit talking bad about your Razor? You've driven this thread to the length it is almost singlehandedly. It seems you’re more than a mere consumer; it's like you've got a hidden agenda (Vortex rep?). If the scopes are still selling at 1900.00 in 6 months you’ll be able to label me surprised. </div></div>

Haven't made a cent from Vortex just like their product and dislike it when people run their mouth about which they know nothing. I would love to work for Vortex though. I think I could label you and others as surprised if you saw the quality of these scopes.

question for those that have really used the Vortex. I have seen some rumblings on a bit of a short eye relief?

Comments?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223<span style="color: #FF0000"></div><div class="ubbcode-body">...dislike it when people run their mouth about which they know nothing.</span> </div></div>
How do you know, <span style="font-style: italic">positively</span>, that they don't know what they are talking about? This forum is the most scope-savvy forum on the internet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">question for those that have really used the Vortex. I have seen some rumblings on a bit of a short eye relief?

Comments? </div></div>
I've seen that too. I'll reserve judgement until I get to look through one.

hunter223,

I've never questioned the Vortex Razor's excellent design, features or Customer Service. I think it is a great product. But it's pricing places it among "proven and field tested" designs, like the NF F1 for example.

The Razor is too new, and it may not have any bugs, and it may turn out to be perfectly trouble free, but I'm not going to pay $1.9K to be a test dummy. I learned along time ago not to live on the "bleeding edge" when it comes to new, expensive and technologically complex goods the first year they are on the market.

If I'm going to gamble, the price has to be right. And for me around $2k plus or minus $200. is a gamble, for a NEW product from a vendor that has produced exactly one advanced Tactical scope design. Others may feel differently, and that's what great about this country. If you have the money, you can buy what pleases you.

Are the Razor's worth what they are asking for them? Ask me a year from now and I'll let you know. But since you think so highly of the Razor, it's features and design, let me ask you a question; If the Razor sold for $2999. or so, instead of $1999. or so, would you still have bought yours?

If the answer is no, then price is as important, as features, design, and Customer service. And if your answer is yes, then your a real fan......

Enjoy yours.....All of the above is IMHO, and YMMV

I don't think Vortex minds saying the scope is produced in Japan (I <span style="font-style: italic">think</span>)

I have heard it is produced in the same factory as Nightforce.

If that is the case, that may be enough to instill confidence in some of those those on the fence, to buy and trust the product at the current pricepoint.

For those wondering, we engineered the Razor right here in WI, but we don't hide the fact that it is made in Japan.

It is our company policy not to reveal who our manufacturing sources are, but I can tell you that we traveled all over Japan to find the absolute best, most state of the art facilities to have the parts made.

Just one example, the thread pitch of the turret screws are machined to within 2 microns. That's 78 one millionths of an inch. Your run of the mill CNC shop can't do that. They have to be done on extremely precise Swiss Turn machines.

People may be wondering about weather the Razor is proven or not, but I assure you it is "the real deal". Just because the consumer market has only known about it for a short time doesn't mean that it hasn't been known by others for quite a bit longer. In fact, this scope has undergone quite a bit of testing among some highly respected people for over a year before it was released to the public.

Of course I know some won't take the manufacturer's word for it, but I'm confident that time will prove that it lives up to the quality of anything else out there.

-Sam

The more I read the more I really need to pick one up before the public catches on and prices go way up

I got my Razor the other day and will be putting to the test at Long Range Alley's Sniper Match Dec 5th and 6th.

First outing with it was great, tested correlation of reticle and knobs all the way to 1000, PASS.

next test was precision work at a 100, PASS.

Going back out to finalize dope for the match.

My opinions in my limited testing thus far is the scope is an outstanding buy. I like everything about it. The only thing I would change would be to give the .5 mil lines on the knob a longer slash or something to stand out a bit more, I fixed mine with silver sharpie pen!

I will buy another one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hunter, are you gonna take your toys and go home if they don't quit talking bad about your Razor? You've driven this thread to the length it is almost singlehandedly. It seems you’re more than a mere consumer; it's like you've got a hidden agenda (Vortex rep?). If the scopes are still selling at 1900.00 in 6 months you’ll be able to label me surprised. </div></div>

+1

I would love to get a razor, but the review on the SH front page mentioning the very tight eye relief/FOV at 20x and the lacking clicks when setting the zero stop make me Queezy. I would put it on my 338TRG42 in a second but I respect the opinions rendered and may just pony up a little extra for the quality and piece of mind of a PH 5x25. I would like to hear more opinions from others regarding these issues. Hopefully in the next couple months we'll get more input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">question for those that have really used the Vortex. I have seen some rumblings on a bit of a short eye relief?

Comments? </div></div>
I've seen that too. I'll reserve judgement until I get to look through one. </div></div>

I have noticed with mine that it has a bit of a longer eye relief then Im used to with the Premier or USO scopes.

I have found no faults with the 2 I own, with eye relief or otherwise and I will be buying more shortly, but then again I don't shoot people for a living so what do I know