• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor Gen1 5-20 or NF SHV 4-14 F1

itgoesboom

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2006
Beaverton, Oregon
Putting together a 6.5 creedmoor here shortly (Howa 1500, 24" barrel, KRG Bravo Chassis) and am considering my options for optics.

Right now the front runners are the Vortex Razor Gen1 5-20 and the Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1.

Both of these are within $300 of each other with first responder pricing, with the SHV being the less expensive of the two.

Trying to decide which one would be the best. Most use will be under 600 yards, but I would like to do some local PRS style matches in the future as well.

Any advice?

I think the Gen1 Razor gets overlooked. It been a fantastic scope for me. I got it shortly after it was released.

I loved the scope but was starting to get annoyed with the 5mil/rev turrets. I was very ready to sell it and move on. I have since had the turrets updated the scope is still on my gun.

A minimum of 10 mil/rev on the elevation is must have for me now.

I think the Gen1 Razor gets overlooked. It been a fantastic scope for me. I got it shortly after it was released.

I loved the scope but was starting to get annoyed with the 5mil/rev turrets. I was very ready to sell it and move on. I have since had the turrets updated the scope is still on my gun.

A minimum of 10 mil/rev on the elevation is must have for me now.
Does vortex upgrade from 5 to 10 mil turrets?

I have 2 Razor HD gen2's and 2 NF ATACR's and shoot them all. Here's my take and uses.

I like the NF for its weight and its reticle. The reticle on the NF is a LOT thinner than the Votrex (MOAR-T for both mine) so shooting at 1000 yards plus, it's no question, I'm using my NF. Also the hash mark increments are finer on the NF which I like.

Hate it say it but I kinda think the Razor might have clearer glass but it's at the cost of heavier. The reticle is thicker and when you zoom all the way in you lose part of the reticle which bothers me a lil bit. For hunting you probably don't need the ultra thin reticle of the NF and would still have the good clarity of the glass.

Side note the controls for the illumination of reticle are much better on the Vortex.

Hope this helps

Actually the Razor II reticle is thinner than the NF reticle. The Razor II is .1 MOA in width and the ATACR/SHV is .150 MOA and the 25x ATACR is .125 MOA.

Also the reticle is FFP in Razor II and doesn't get any thicker or cover anymore of the target when zoomed in.

Reactions: 6.5ers
Putting together a 6.5 creedmoor here shortly (Howa 1500, 24" barrel, KRG Bravo Chassis) and am considering my options for optics.

Right now the front runners are the Vortex Razor Gen1 5-20 and the Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1.

Both of these are within $300 of each other with first responder pricing, with the SHV being the less expensive of the two.

Trying to decide which one would be the best. Most use will be under 600 yards, but I would like to do some local PRS style matches in the future as well.

Any advice?

Like I said at AR15.com, the Razor is a much nicer optic than the SHV and I have had both. The Razor has a ton of elevation, clickless zeroing, very good glass and a very usable reticle for both wind and elevation holds. Go with the Razor and you will be happier in the long run.

I have a Razor Gen 1- 5-20. Shot a friends NF SHV, while a good scope I much prefer the Razor. I really like the EBR-2 reticle on the razor. As Im relatively new at shooting long range, Im sure most of you fellas probably forgot more than I know about the discipline ! I just feel more comfortable behind the Razor. Ive shot it out to 1200 yards and if my shots don't go where there're suppose to, its definitely me, not my scope or rifle. :)
Mike