• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor HD Gen III 6-36x56

Still waiting on Alpha Munitions to get my .25 caliber reamer pilot in stock (waiting on the manufacturing company) so they can ship my .25CM reamer to @CarbonSix so they can finish my barrel and ship it to me... Then I can finally go shoot my EO Exclusive Black Edition G3...

IMG_2821.jpeg

Interesting. I thought if you had the lock removed the turrets stayed in the down condition.
That’s what I thought would be the end result but that’s not the case. I only did it to one scope and while it works, I decided to just use “O” rings to hold the turrets up to prevent them from locking

Still waiting on Alpha Munitions to get my .25 caliber reamer pilot in stock (waiting on the manufacturing company) so they can ship my .25CM reamer to @CarbonSix so they can finish my barrel and ship it to me... Then I can finally go shoot my EO Exclusive Black Edition G3...

View attachment 8312193

Not going to lie, I'm liking the black. It has me reconsidering an LRP S3 as my next purchase. How is the eyebox on yours at 36x? I know that it is going to be tighter than 20-25x, but is it so tight that you just about have to be prone or off a bench?

Reactions: FuhQ
Bought a black version from EuroOptic in November and I'll finally get to try it out soon. I got it mainly for a Vudoo I've had sitting in my safe for years but haven't actually shot yet due to life getting in the way. Finally hand-picked a perfect trigger for it at the Huber factory front so now I can put it all together when I get home next weekend.

Not going to lie, I'm liking the black. It has me reconsidering an LRP S3 as my next purchase. How is the eyebox on yours at 36x? I know that it is going to be tighter than 20-25x, but is it so tight that you just about have to be prone or off a bench?
My LRP S3, or my RG3 6-36x56? I haven't had the chance to shoot the Razor G3 yet, so can't really comment on the glass or reticle or anything like that. Just playing with it inside the house and getting my chassis cheek weld setup. But after getting it dialed-in, I haven't noticed it to be too picky. But I also haven't really been up to the max mag and tried to look at anything inside of a 15x15 room. LOL

Now, if you're talking about the Zeiss... I also have an LRP S3 6-36x56 ZF-MRi (MRAD). It's on my modded-up 700 5R Milspec .260 Rem. I really love that scope. The glass is amazing for the price, and the turrets are nice, the zero-stop is solid, all the adjustments are smooth as glass, and the eye box (to me) is very forgiving considering how high the magnifaciton range goes...Even at 36x.

The ONLY gripe I have about the LRP S3 is how thick the reticle is. Now, for up close (inside of 500 yards) it's fine. But once you really start looking at things past that distance, its thickness gets more pronounced, and it becomes very noticeable how much of the target starts getting covered up. Which is why a lot of guys are loving them for NRL22, because you don't shoot past 500 yards, so, the reticle is perfectly fine.

That said, some folks love the reticle, and say it's not too thick, and some say it could be slimmed-down some... I'm in the "scale it down about 3/4 the thickness it currently is, and it would be flawless", but that's just my personal opinion. Other than my opinion on the reticle, it's a flawless scope, and I highly recommend it.

Reactions: blksno
Are the turrets coming improved from the factory or do they still need sent in for modification?

Are the turrets coming improved from the factory or do they still need sent in for modification?
I've gotten 2 more gen3 razors in the last 4 months, a black and bronze, both have great turrets. Way better than my first pair of gen3 razors. They have been sent in for upgrades tho.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOE800 and JB.IC
I've gotten 2 more gen3 raozrs in the last 4 months, a black and bronze, both have great turrets. Way better than my first pair of gen3 razors. They have been sent in for upgrades tho.
Good deal!

I've gotten 2 more gen3 razors in the last 4 months, a black and bronze, both have great turrets. Way better than my first pair of gen3 razors. They have been sent in for upgrades tho.
That's my experience as well. First two had gummy turrets; one was returned to Vortex and came back with awesome turret feel. The most recent (arrived 11/23) had awesome turrets right out of the box.

I'll send the remaining gummy one in soon, now that the holidays are over (and before the 2024 SHOT Show).

Reactions: TheOE800 and Ronws
That's my experience as well. First two had gummy turrets; one was returned to Vortex and came back with awesome turret feel. The most recent (arrived 11/23) had awesome turrets right out of the box.

I'll send the remaining gummy one in soon, now that the holidays are over (and before the 2024 SHOT Show).
Can you describe the "gummy" turrets? Like, sticky or stiff, or mushy & very light click feel and sound?

Huh, those mushy turrets seem way better than the fixed ones. I hate how stiff the new ones are. I shouldn't have to death grip the thing to dial. My LHT is a little soft, I can dial it with one finger, but I'd almost prefer that over both of my "fixed" gen3's.

Agree with both points. I have ran into those that like mushy and those that like the clack. User preference and requirement for the set up.
Huh, those mushy turrets seem way better than the fixed ones. I hate how stiff the new ones are. I shouldn't have to death grip the thing to dial. My LHT is a little soft, I can dial it with one finger, but I'd almost prefer that over both of my "fixed" gen3's.

I was just watching that thinking the same thing... Like damn, my Kahles turrets are SUPER smooth and aren't super loud, and it doesn't bother me. My ATACR F1 turrets are smooth, semi-loud, but tactile as well.

I guess my EuroOptic black G3 is definitely a "fixed" newest version. It's got loud clunky clicks and the lock/unlock is kind of janky and requires you to kind of wiggle it to lock & unlock and make sure it's seated all the way up and down...

Sadly, and this is going to piss some folks off, but I think my Strike Eagle has smoother turrets, and it locks and unlocks WAY better than my RG3... I don't understand how the locking mech is so janky and shitty on the G3, when they were able to make the illumination lock/unlock SO smooth, like it's riding on fluid-bearings...

I was just watching that thinking the same thing... Like damn, my Kahles turrets are SUPER smooth and aren't super loud, and it doesn't bother me. My ATACR F1 turrets are smooth, semi-loud, but tactile as well.

I guess my EuroOptic black G3 is definitely a "fixed" newest version. It's got loud clunky clicks and the lock/unlock is kind of janky and requires you to kind of wiggle it to lock & unlock and make sure it's seated all the way up and down...
Sounds "upgraded" :)

Can you describe the "gummy" turrets? Like, sticky or stiff, or mushy & very light click feel and sound?
Literally like gen-2 turrets injected with ice-cold grease. Think of how some varieties of lubricating or preservative grease or heavy oil stiffen up in the cold. It's like that. Stiff mushy feel with "muted" clicks.

The feel/sound of the turrets on the "repaired" scope and the new scope are quite reminiscent of gen-2 turrets.

As has been noted, individual preferences vary. I like the loud "clacky" turrets and my arthritic septuagenarian digits have no problem manipulating them. By comparison, my ZCO turrets are easier to turn and have less "edgy" clicks. To me, choosing would be like choosing between two flavors of ice cream. I like them both.

Sadly, and this is going to piss some folks off, but I think my Strike Eagle has smoother turrets, and it locks and unlocks WAY better than my RG3... I don't understand how the locking mech is so janky and shitty on the G3, when they were able to make the illumination lock/unlock SO smooth, like it's riding on fluid-bearings...
I vastly prefer SE turrets to the G3. I think the new turrets are a response to customer demands and we’re in the minority.

Does the upgraded turret stay in the up position better? I don't think mine is upgraded. What I hate about it is how any weight downward it locks down

I personally feel the locking elevation is totally unnecessary, as we're dialing it all the time. However, the locking windage was a solid choice.

Reactions: R_A_W and TheOE800
Ok sorry I should have asked before but how long does it take for the round trip to send it in for the upgrade

Ok sorry I should have asked before but how long does it take for the round trip to send it in for the upgrade
From my experience they get to it the day they get it, or the next, and get it out the door the same business day, back to you.

Reactions: louu
I just got a second one last week and the elevation knob was crap, sent back in before I even used it. The windage knob was perfect.

My first one from a few months ago had a perfect elevation knob but meh windage, didn't send it in since I don't dial wind.

Sample of two, but I'd say it just depends on your luck.

If you send in a new G3 Razor, can/will Vortex install the old turret hardware (what people were calling mushy?)

I'm finally getting back home from a long work trip and will be looking to try out my 6-36 soon. The only question I have is has anyone run into a wandering zero issue with theirs? I don't put 100% faith in the droptesting stuff but from that test it actually passed the drop tests but had a wandering zero which I thought was odd.

I'm finally getting back home from a long work trip and will be looking to try out my 6-36 soon. The only question I have is has anyone run into a wandering zero issue with theirs? I don't put 100% faith in the droptesting stuff but from that test it actually passed the drop tests but had a wandering zero which I thought was odd.
I've not had an issue with that in the 4 rifles I have em on. Just make sure your zero lock screws are good and snug. Guys that have wandering zero, I often wonder if they have parallax completely dialed out. It dont make much a difference 400y and out(other than image/reticle focus) but it can definitely affect poi drift at shorter distance.