• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor HD Gen III 6-36x56

Excellent points on the diopter adjustment as well as how subjective glass quality can be. I view my AMG’s as being very close to equal of my 5-25ATACR but not as bright. My Gen II Razors are right with it, but the ATACR slightly out resolved them. I enjoy the versatility of the 7-35, but I don’t immediately notice that it’s better glass than the 5-25Atacr or Gen II’s. When I’ve had the 7-35 and a ZCO side by side, the 5-27zco was a noticeable difference in glass to my eyes.

Interested in hearing more reviews/observations. My Gen III won’t be arriving till Tues. for me to compare. While it’s priced very competitively in the market, I must admit, I’m hoping it will be a considerable step above the GenII and have a better image than the 7-35Atacr.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I’ll have to send it back to have Scott and the others at Vortex take a look at it. The turrets on mine aren’t getting any better even after playing with them a bunch and I’m pretty sure the locking turrets have an issue as well. If the turrets get fixed, this will be one of the best scopes on the market around this price point.

That is a deal-breaker for me.

They were all played with a little, but they weren’t fully tuned to each specific person. You are absolutely right, a poorly set diopter can cause issues. I wouldn’t use my opinion as the “end-all” answer on which scope is best. I just thought I would share our opinions on what we saw. Each person may have a completely different opinion. My favorite may be someone else’s least favorite and so on. I’d say all of these are great. Just go with whichever has your favorite features.
Fair enough. It wasn’t meant so much as a criticism but a reminder to the community that just looking through someone else’s scope doesn’t always paint the whole picture. I appreciate what you (and the others did), and your summary gives me hope for the DLR. In this game of optical analysis I think it’s good to keep in mind - YMMV. Too many jump to conclusions based on one review or opinion. Case in point a few years ago I had a Mark 5 3.6-18, was not impressed with glass, wasn’t horrible but expected more, then ILya got a Mark 5 and his performed what seemed like considerably better than mine had. Did I do something wrong, was it sample variance? My first XTR III 3.3-18 had performance issues, I played with every setting and could not get it worked out, finally sent in to Burris and they agreed, it had slipped through QC (and yes this happens for every mfr) sent me a new scope that was significantly better. I wish I had the time to send every poor performing scope back to see how well warranty works and to see if it was just sample variance. In an ideal world I’d get 3 copies of every scope and I’d have a controlled environment with which to test (similar to how lens rentals performs their camera lens tests), but reality doesn’t allow for this and much of my work is spent on field analysis and real world scenarios.

I told myself a few years ago I would stop being an early adopter yet here I am 😉. Let’s give the G3 some time and get in more hands. Some will love it, some will hate it and others will be on the fence, it is the nature of the shooting community. At the end of the day it is good we have options, and these days plenty of them.

Excellent points on the diopter adjustment as well as how subjective glass quality can be. I view my AMG’s as being very close to equal of my 5-25ATACR but not as bright. My Gen II Razors are right with it, but the ATACR slightly out resolved them. I enjoy the versatility of the 7-35, but I don’t immediately notice that it’s better glass than the 5-25Atacr or Gen II’s. When I’ve had the 7-35 and a ZCO side by side, the 5-27zco was a noticeable difference in glass to my eyes.

Interested in hearing more reviews/observations. My Gen III won’t be arriving till Tues. for me to compare. While it’s priced very competitively in the market, I must admit, I’m hoping it will be a considerable step above the GenII and have a better image than the 7-35Atacr.
This seems to be the litmus test for the Gen III 6-36 - can it perform as good or possibly better than the ATACR 7-35? A 6x erector vs 5x, Vortex’s best competition scope vs NF’s. The Vortex being the newest design has expectations that it will best the ATACR. I am interested to hear your findings once you get the scope dialed in.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
Figure I'll chip in here, since I am the owner of the ZCO and DLR in Ricks' picture above. We were having a range day, it wasn't meant to be an in depth optical analysis, but decided we might as well throw some of our best scopes up side by side. It was very overcast and grey, even a bit foggy at times. I spent the most time with Gen 3, ZCO, DLR, Gen 2 (not pictured) and less with the NF since he showed up later. MY extremely brief thoughts on the comparison:

Vortex has a winner on their hands IF this particular scope has dud turrets. They really do suck. Bad. The worst of all the scopes in Ricks' picture. But thats the only downside I could come up with. The Gen 3 is a step above Gen 2 in every other way besides turrets. The glass is better in every way, the mag ring is smoother/easier, reticle is a huge improvement, new single screw turrets are simpler.
Regarding glass - The Gen 3 was the winner in FOV and "eye box friendliness" or whatever you want to call it. I'm a PRS shooter, so to me this is extremely important. I spent 90% of the comparison on 15x because that is where I shoot most of the time. The resolution to me edged out NF, roughly equal to DLR, and only very slightly beat by ZCO. The image loses some brightness in the upper magnification range, but as I said I didn't spend much time at high mag. Edge clarity was extremely impressive to me as was DOF. I'm far from an expert in glass analysis, but to me the Gen 3 just felt "right" immediately whereas some scopes you have to wiggle a bit and finesse the dials to get it just right. I'll stop rambling now and keep this post on track. On a sample size of 1 - the Gen 3 is going to be a great scope if the turrets get fixed. Considering the Gen 3 costs $600-$1000 less than comparable scopes, I'd say Vortex did a good job again of releasing a scope that reaches beyond its price point.

Got to wait to get more in hands to see if it's an actual issue, perceived issue or only an issue for some. If the ZCO is like this also then seems like plenty seem to get by using it.
Have a ZCO as well as Gen II Razors and the new Gen III Razor. ZCO does not have the same issue as the Gen III. The ZCO turrets are similar to the Gen II turrets in the sense that when the turret is pulled up and unlocked it stays up while dialing and it is does not "slide down" as per video posted.

Have a ZCO as well as Gen II Razors and the new Gen III Razor. ZCO does not have the same issue as the Gen III. The ZCO turrets are similar to the Gen II turrets in the sense that when the turret is pulled up and unlocked it stays up while dialing and it is does not "slide down" as per video posted.
Don't have a ZCO so was just going by what others with them have posted in threads about using methods to keep the ZCO knob up. But will still have to see if it's a wide spread issue or if it's more of an issue for some do to dialing style. Will be interested to see when mine shows up.

Same experience on my 3x ZCOs vs my 2x Gen 2 Razor. It takes active effort to lock the ZCO turret, same with the Gen 2; not a lot, but you have to be conscious about it.

Aside from the turret locks, the glass quality and reticle sound awesome on the Gen 3, and I'll definitely pick one up.

Reactions: LRdasher
Aside from the "sliding turrents" I am REALLY liking the Gen III. I am confident Vortex will offer a solution and in the meantime the o-ring works fine. Never liked the idea of locking elevation turrets in general so will be putting o-rings on my ZCO and my Gen IIs to make them non locking turrets.

Aside from the "sliding turrents" I am REALLY liking the Gen III. I am confident Vortex will offer a solution and in the meantime the o-ring works fine. Never liked the idea of locking elevation turrets in general so will be putting o-rings on my ZCO and my Gen IIs to make them non locking turrets.

A 3d printed polymer ring that covers 60-75% of the circumference of the turret would be an ideal solution in my book. Perhaps someone on this forum who's savvy enough w/ 3d printing can figure it out for a sellable solution.

This is shaping up to sound like it’s going to fit my glass preferences nicely.

But I’m sitting here playing with an Ep5 and if the turrets on the razor get out done by an arken ima throw it on the ground. But, I’m less worried about the “sliding” of the lock mechanism because my amg was kind of that way and it didn’t bother me.

Reactions: ricksmunn
A 3d printed polymer ring that covers 60-75% of the circumference of the turret would be an ideal solution in my book. Perhaps someone on this forum who's savvy enough w/ 3d printing can figure it out for a sellable solution.
If you make it thin enough to be flush fit it is really flimsy. (0.8mm thick if I remember correctly) That’s what I did with mine. It’s thin enough that I wont be at all surprised if it breaks. If you use a thicker ring it would be more durable, but it would also then stick out from the turret a ways.

Attachments

• B513ED27-8404-4A7D-9565-E87C51FB7D7E.jpeg
    B513ED27-8404-4A7D-9565-E87C51FB7D7E.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 137
Anyone that can caliper the turret diameter under the pop up turret? The area that this o-ring is occupying? Im looking at polyurethane square o-rings that won't flex.

Anyone that can caliper the turret diameter under the pop up turret? The area that this o-ring is occupying? Im looking at polyurethane square o-rings that won't flex.
I measure 0.096"

The square o-ring in this pic is 0.066" and keeps it from locking

IMG_1953.jpeg

I measure 0.096"

The square o-ring in this pic is 0.066" and keeps it from locking

View attachment 7785856
Good info, I may have not been totally clear what I was requesting. But the outside diameter of the turret body, under the cap when unlocked. Basically the od of turret body that the o-ring is occupying. Im trying to spec a solid material o-ring/bushing to occupy the same space.

Good info, I may have not been totally clear what I was requesting. But the outside diameter of the turret body, under the cap when unlocked. Basically the od of turret body that the o-ring is occupying. Im trying to spec a solid material o-ring/bushing to occupy the same space.

1.588"

Reactions: 4O6shootist
I would be pissed if I paid that much money for a scope and had to use a crappy little piece of plastic/rubber to keep the turrets up.
You mean to tell me that VIP warranty isn't worth $3,000?

I would be pissed if I paid that much money for a scope and had to use a crappy little piece of plastic/rubber to keep the turrets up.
Typical interwebs… bashing of a product you have not even tried yet. Please keep your negativety for yourself, we got enough of it in these difficult times.

As for the spacer ring, here is one for the ZCO

I‘m sure Tyler could make one for the new gen3 too if needed by some of you

Mine will be here Tuesday... looking at some videos online, I'm wondering if there is just no detent and that is by design?
I dont like that one bit, especially that the turret seems to tilt and wobble as its rotated. Gonna have to see what happens. I'm a sucker for solid, smooth, reliable, tactile, ergonomic turrets....one of the reasons I kept buying Gen 2s.

Typical interwebs… bashing of a product you have not even tried yet. Please keep your negativety for yourself, we got enough of it in these difficult times.

Guessing Tyler is already working on it.

You own a gen 3 razor or a ZCO?

You mean to tell me that VIP warranty isn't worth $3,000?
I would definitely be sending it back to have Vortex fix the detents on that turret. Hopefully his was a fluke and not the norm. Otherwise I need to cancel my purchase plans.

No, just a gen2 and a ZCO. Hence the link for a solution. Why does it matter?
Just confirming a theory. Figured you owned one or you wouldn’t get offended on their behalf so easily..

I dont like that one bit, especially that the turret seems to tilt and wobble as its rotated. Gonna have to see what happens. I'm a sucker for solid, smooth, reliable, tactile, ergonomic turrets....one of the reasons I kept buying Gen 2s.
I have a Gen 2 here to compare with... Honestly I would like something "in between" Gen 2 and what it looks like the Gen 3 is... I found the Gen 2's sometimes I have to yank "up" to hard to unlock the turret.

When the optic arrives I'll report back.

Reactions: TrevK
Just confirming a theory. Figured you owned one or you wouldn’t get offended on their behalf so easily..
The only thing that could offend me is people bashing items they don’t own, I’ll never understand what guys get out of this. I’d never do this to any company except arken LOL. So your theory is full of flaw’s.

I have a Gen 11 that I like a lot except it doubles as a hunting scope and on the lowest illumination setting I find it's too bright in the last legal shooting light. I was wondering if there's any changes on the Gen 111, maybe some night or night vision settings?

Don't have a ZCO so was just going by what others with them have posted in threads about using methods to keep the ZCO knob up. But will still have to see if it's a wide spread issue or if it's more of an issue for some do to dialing style. Will be interested to see when mine shows up.
Nothing wrong with the ZCO. I just don’t like locking turrets all that much for some applications and the rifle my ZCO is on is one of them. Also don’t want to send it back for the NLE option or spend $10+ when a 10 cent oring does the same thing. Figured I’d add my fix to see if it helps with the Razors.

I should have mine today. I'm interested to see what this turret "issue" is. I've had locking turrets before on several scopes and it's always just been standard for me to adjust the turrets with slight upward pressure to prevent them from locking during operation. I guess I don't see what the problem is. I guess I'll find out when the UPS dude gets here.

Reactions: Im2bent and S3th
I should have mine today. I'm interested to see what this turret "issue" is. I've had locking turrets before on several scopes and it's always just been standard for me to adjust the turrets with slight upward pressure to prevent them from locking during operation. I guess I don't see what the problem is. I guess I'll find out when the UPS dude gets here.
Let us know please. I am not making up this "issue" I have owned locking scopes from Vortex (AMG, G2, G3) ZCO, Bushnell, Athlon and possibly others I'm forgetting. The only one I've had an issue with is this Gen 3. But I'm hoping this won't be the norm and Vortex fixes it. I hope yours is great.

One thing I will say about the Gen III locking mechanism, there is quite a range (up and down) where the turret will still spin, only at the very bottom will the turret lock, so even if you move the turret down slightly it still spins. My turret does not "fall" on it's own, I would have to put downward pressure to get it to lock. Still waiting for my mount and then I can do some turret drills to get a much better idea.

Let us know please. I am not making up this "issue" I have owned locking scopes from Vortex (AMG, G2, G3) ZCO, Bushnell, Athlon and possibly others I'm forgetting. The only one I've had an issue with is this Gen 3. But I'm hoping this won't be the norm and Vortex fixes it. I hope yours is great.
So my particular GenIII does not have any problems with the elevation turret staying unlocked. When I unlock it and then run it through it's entire elevation range, it stays at or near the top without settling back into the locked position. Both my elevation and windage turrets are pretty smooth. The "clicks" are not as audible as the Area419 made it seem but that's most likely due to the microphone. They definitely are not TT level turrets and probably not on the same level as ZCO. The parallax knob is stiffer than I would prefer but that's okay. My magnification ring was really smooth, but I still put the switch view lever on.

A quick look through the scope and it is very apparent how forgiving the eye box is. The F.o.V is very nice, even at 36x but I'll have to get it out for a longer session before saying it's as advertised. Upon first look, the glass is a noticeable step up from my two Mk5s. It's still pretty bright right now so we'll see what it looks like when conditions are less than ideal. I am confident that it will hold it's own against scopes in this price bracket.

Overall, I think this is a big step up from the Gen II and my current Mk5s. Very happy that I bought one.

Can current G3 mrad owners tell me how many mils wide you see at the approx powers of 25X and 27X? Just trying to gather useless info.
For ref:
-Razor G2 4.5-27: @25X=17.4 mils wide and @27X=15.6 mils wide.
-MK5 7-35: @25X=14.2 mils wide and @27X= 13.4 mils wide.

Reactions: rydah
Can current G3 mrad owners tell me how many mils wide you see at the approx powers of 25X and 27X? Just trying to gather useless info.
For ref:
-Razor G2 4.5-27: @25X=17.4 mils wide and @27X=15.6 mils wide.
-MK5 7-35: @25X=14.2 mils wide and @27X= 13.4 mils wide.
Obviously it’s very hard to know if the markings are correct without any way to calibrate and confirm them but my zcomp 5-27 is as follows:

25x 15.6 mils
27x 14.6 mils

Last time I did this very unscientific test with a 525 dlr, atacr 7-35, tangent 5-25, zcomp 5-27 the atacr won hands down, tangent second, zcomp third and Kahles last.

Obviously it’s very hard to know if the markings are correct without any way to calibrate and confirm
Correct, which is why I said "approx". Thank you for your data. I'm trying to gather as much details as I can before I select a scope to purchase. One thing for sure is that those MK5's have a stupid narrow FOV.

Correct, which is why I said "approx". Thank you for your data. I'm trying to gather as much details as I can before I select a scope to purchase. One thing for sure is that those MK5's have a stupid narrow FOV.

Totally agree, and a small eyebox about the Mk5. I can’t understand for the life of me why people think it’s better than the Razor Gen 2 (let alone the Gen 3).

I like my Gen2 but was planning on replacing it with a 7-35 ATACR. But with this and now the ZCO 840 announced, I think I will wait a few months for some good head to head to head reviews of those 3 scopes to make a decision.

Totally agree, and a small eyebox about the Mk5. I can’t understand for the life of me why people think it’s better than the Razor Gen 2 (let alone the Gen 3).
To be fair the Gen 2s have had some sample variance in my experience. But the same could be said for the mark 5. The mark 5 though came in at like 2000 once it became established before the Gen 2 price had dropped. So it took off. And honestly it’s the best optic leupold has ever made IMHO. That may be an over statement but it’s at the very least the most consistent I’ve seen from them in a long time and the PR2 is a great reticle. Eyebox is tight and FOV is a little lackluster but for 2K at least at the time when it released it was a very good deal.

New podcast about the Gen III

The only thing that could offend me is people bashing items they don’t own, I’ll never understand what guys get out of this. I’d never do this to any company except arken LOL. So your theory is full of flaw’s.
From someone who owns both a Razor gen II and an Arken EP 4, the Vortex shills are 10x more annoying than an Arken shill. Both annoying, so don't think you're any better. Back to useful information in the thread.

My assessment thus far, having not done much shooting in the last several years, but having played with enough scopes to currently own a TT (previous Razor G2, Razor AMG, NF ATACR, Minox ZP5, ZCO ownership). The turrets are okay, maybe even good though don’t let anyone tell you they’re approaching TT level. My windage is fairly good, but the elevation is a noticeable amount softer/less crisp/more muted. I wouldn’t call either turret particularly loud or thonky. Haven’t evaluated glass size by side yet. First impression takeaway: for the price I think it’s a good scope, especially once street price stabilizes below MAP. If spending more than $3K on a scope is unconscionable or you switch scopes frequently, this is your scope. The value proposition is very high, but at $3K I think it’s close to a point where why not save up the money to step up if it’s possible and that’s what you want.