• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex razor HD gen3 1-10 FFP

Ehhhh.

Take your current rifle with a standard scope with adjustable parallax and adjust the parallax at 100y. Great, now pan to a target at 1000 yards. Can you see it? Can you hit it? It depends on the size, contrast, color, of the target and atmospherics on that particular day. You're not going to enjoy using any scope with fixed parallax set to 100y @ further than 500ish yards. Some have a broader depth of field, I have not handled the Gen III, but a gray 10" plate @ 500y with my ATACR 1-8 in the AZ mirage sucked.

I think the "GAME CHANGER" will come when mfg's learn that at this point, and even at 1-8 in my opinion, the guns deserve a parallax knob.

I have a match next weekend and I plan to pop my 1-10 off the rifle and carry it in my pack and when on the 1000 yard line taking a look. I was shooting 10" plate at 550 in some heavy mirage last week and it wasn't bad. That was the farthest I had and want to look at it at longer ranges just to see as there is plenty of hold marks to hit the 1000 yard mark.

Been shooting my gen iii with MOA reticle for the past couple weeks on a mid-weight 18" ar15. Here are my observations so far.

Turrets were fine, but for me this is a zero at 200 yards and use the reticle. I have not tested tracking.

The illumination is extremely bright and well done. I can't imagine a situation where I would need the highest settings.

1x is bright, very clear, and has a forgiving eye box. They did a great job making the tube really disappear.

10x is a bit dark, and the eye box is tight. Apright resolution, but nothing to get excited about. I found myself going to 8x instead for longer shots.

The reticle is only really usable from ~5x-10x. Maybe if you shoot in a really high contrast environment you could do a bit better, but it got lost easily in the woods for me. This leaves you fairly dependent on the illumination at lower powers, which is fine because they did a great job on it, but a consideration if you don't have extra batteries.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't expect to easily nail 1/2 MOA groups with this optic. If most of your AR shooting is from a bench or prone, get something along the lines of Nightforce 2.5-10, or something similar with a parallax adjustment.

For getting quick hits on steel at a variety of ranges within the 223 effective envelope, I think this scope makes a lot of sense and works very well.
20200506_180914.jpg

Haven't handled one yet, but the new Schmidt, Dual CC 1-8 seems to have addressed this in the LPVO market.

I thought it goes from 7m at 1x to 100m at 8x? I personally would prefer actual conventional adjustable parallax.

A lot of atacr talk on this thread. If it had adjustable parallax, it'd be the only scope I'd own, alongside a 5-25. Unfortunately, not only does it not have adjustable parallax, at 8x, the dof gets tight enough to where it's hard to resolve very clearly (i'm talking about like sub 2 minute targets) past 300m. You can still shoot silhouettes out to very far distances, don't get me wrong, but out far, you'll just have to be disciplined with the parallax error, and you'll have to deal with an out of focus sight picture.

Last edited:
Been shooting my gen iii with MOA reticle for the past couple weeks on a mid-weight 18" ar15. Here are my observations so far.

Turrets were fine, but for me this is a zero at 200 yards and use the reticle. I have not tested tracking.

The illumination is extremely bright and well done. I can't imagine a situation where I would need the highest settings.

1x is bright, very clear, and has a forgiving eye box. They did a great job making the tube really disappear.

10x is a bit dark, and the eye box is tight. Apright resolution, but nothing to get excited about. I found myself going to 8x instead for longer shots.

The reticle is only really usable from ~5x-10x. Maybe if you shoot in a really high contrast environment you could do a bit better, but it got lost easily in the woods for me. This leaves you fairly dependent on the illumination at lower powers, which is fine because they did a great job on it, but a consideration if you don't have extra batteries.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't expect to easily nail 1/2 MOA groups with this optic. If most of your AR shooting is from a bench or prone, get something along the lines of Nightforce 2.5-10, or something similar with a parallax adjustment.

For getting quick hits on steel at a variety of ranges within the 223 effective envelope, I think this scope makes a lot of sense and works very well.
View attachment 7319059
Nice looking rig. Mounted mine on my sons Ruger precision rim fire. Taken to range to practice 50yd target shooting with ARA rim fire targets I know this scope was not meant for rim fire but I got it for free from Euro Optics online raffle. We have a bolt action 6.5 creedmore that we will mount it to. People say use the right tool for the job,but also if it’s Free go for it.

I thought it goes from 7m at 1x to 100m at 8x? I personally would prefer actual conventional adjustable parallax.

A lot of atacr talk on this thread. If it had adjustable parallax, it'd be the only scope I'd own, alongside a 5-25. Unfortunately, not only does it not have adjustable parallax, at 8x, the dof gets tight enough to where it's hard to resolve very clearly (i'm talking about like sub 2 minute targets) past 300m. You can still shoot silhouettes out to very far distances, don't get me wrong, but out far, you'll just have to be disciplined with the parallax error, and you'll have to deal with an out of focus sight picture.

Weird, is it possible your diopter is not set properly? I have the NX8 1-8 which is not as good as the ATACR and I have no issues resolving 2MOA targets. Shot a match with it and had no trouble seeing 2 MOA targets. Actually being able to aim at them was another matter due to size of reticle, but I could see them fine.

View attachment 7319059

ive ran mine to 700yd and have been quite easily able to shoot half moa groups with it on my match bolt rifle

Weird, is it possible your diopter is not set properly? I have the NX8 1-8 which is not as good as the ATACR and I have no issues resolving 2MOA targets. Shot a match with it and had no trouble seeing 2 MOA targets. Actually being able to aim at them was another matter due to size of reticle, but I could see them fine.
At what distances? Try to sit it down side by side with a normal optic with adjustable parallax, set both at 8, and look at something 800m away. The issue isn’t seeing for me, it’s resolving fine details. Or if it’s a grey beat up plate with a grayish background I gotta be careful

I intentionally mis-set my diopter on this optic to allow my younger eyes to focus on the target, resolve it, and then focus back on the reticle. Almost feels like irons lol

Last edited:
Reactions: RadioActivity
At what distances? Try to sit it down side by side with a normal optic with adjustable parallax, set both at 8, and look at something 800m away. The issue isn’t seeing for me, it’s resolving fine details. Or if it’s a grey beat up plate with a grayish background I gotta be careful

I intentionally mis-set my diopter on this optic to allow my younger eyes to focus on the target, resolve it, and then focus back on the reticle. Almost feels like irons lol
Ah ok. Yeah I don’t expect it to compete with a real LR scope. I just thought you had issues seeing targets.
My targets were out to 700.

Ah ok. Yeah I don’t expect it to compete with a real LR scope. I just thought you had issues seeing targets.
My targets were out to 700.
I didn't expect it to but after doing a side by side with my 4-16 atacr set at 8x, i realized that the glass is just as good. If the 1-8 had adjustable parallax it would be way more versatile and it could compete with real LR scopes.

Reactions: RadioActivity
That's a nice review and nice video editing. I do agree with their conclusion. The Gen3 is redefining the playign field in terms of what you get for the money. There is some of the usual nonsense like the bits on the tube diameter, magnification and relationship between the size of the donut and the reticle, but I sorta expect that on Youtube.

The reason why it does not look like perfect 1x on close up targets is that the scope objective is 14" ahead of your eye, so it is closer to the target. As the target becomes more distant, the effect of the objective displacement becomes diminished.

ILya

Reactions: richthe1
I didn't expect it to but after doing a side by side with my 4-16 atacr set at 8x, i realized that the glass is just as good. If the 1-8 had adjustable parallax it would be way more versatile and it could compete with real LR scopes.

As the magnification ratios increase, we will see more options with adjustable parallax. Personally, I would be totally fine if they just set the parallax at 250-300 yards. It will not slow me down on low power and up close, but it will work better for me at longer distances.

S&B is willing to set their Dual CC for 300m parallax and I am sure Vortex will do the same if asked nicely.

Normal parallax setting for the Gen3 is 150 yards and if you will not go beyond 500 a lot, that is a perfect compromise.

ILya

Well, im ready to get one asap, seen some
On here going for a pretty fair price anyone have more in mils?

As the magnification ratios increase, we will see more options with adjustable parallax. Personally, I would be totally fine if they just set the parallax at 250-300 yards. It will not slow me down on low power and up close, but it will work better for me at longer distances.

S&B is willing to set their Dual CC for 300m parallax and I am sure Vortex will do the same if asked nicely.

Normal parallax setting for the Gen3 is 150 yards and if you will not go beyond 500 a lot, that is a perfect compromise.

ILya
The nightforce service rifle optic is set at 300 and intended to shoot out to 600 so your assessment might be on the mark.

when you say Schmidt is willing to set, do you mean as a custom adjustment, or as a future option? If the former, maybe I’ll try asking NF about it.

The nightforce service rifle optic is set at 300 and intended to shoot out to 600 so your assessment might be on the mark.

when you say Schmidt is willing to set, do you mean as a custom adjustment, or as a future option? If the former, maybe I’ll try asking NF about it.

Upon request, I think, but you can check with Schmidt.

ILya

Jeff I'd be interested in what they have to say. I'd buy another ATACR 1-8 if you could set the parallax @ 300 yards.

Has anyone compared the Gen 3 to any 2-10 type scopes?
Curious to know what you are giving up to get down to 1x on the low end, or if the higher cost to produce means you give up little to nothing.

Patiently awaiting mine from liberty optics. This is my first dip into the realm of magnified optics on an AR. I've always just ran dots which more and more has become harder for me to see well at range with my slight astigmatism. Got my badger ordnance condition one mount from the big brown truck yesterday, now the waiting game beings :p

Reactions: Warrior 45
Got the razor out this past friday to get zero'd and settle in with it. I was zero'ing three other rifles that day so I was going for quantity of work vs in-depth work, but I'll take the razor and shortdot CC out together next time to get some initial comparison thoughts. Goes without saying, after zero'd, working from 100 to 300yd targets was boringly easy from the bench.

The only real constructive critique I can offer is that the eyebox was a bit tighter than I thought at max mag. Will get some different positional shooting under my belt shortly:

20200508_140304.jpg
20200508_131234.jpg

Reactions: Riverlife87
For those that have the scope, are you seeing any anomalies with the illumination on? I am trying to figure out if I got a bad copy.

The one I received shows five bright spots that correspond with the tips of the tails on all the number 6. Visible even at low illumination, throughout the magnification range once the tree is visible.

It wouldn’t be a big deal, except those points are not on any crosshair point but draw the eye to them. I sent an email off to vortex yesterday, but wanted to see if others were seeing it also.

Sorry for the poor pics, it’s the best I could get.

Attachments

• 76F79582-A270-4A97-8DD6-593F408AE55E.jpeg
    76F79582-A270-4A97-8DD6-593F408AE55E.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 129
  • C9C1F791-71BE-4101-8D2B-FF170C6CB85D.jpeg
    C9C1F791-71BE-4101-8D2B-FF170C6CB85D.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 82AAD662-9FBE-4C32-8871-4F106B8B36D7.jpeg
    82AAD662-9FBE-4C32-8871-4F106B8B36D7.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 116
For those that have the scope, are you seeing any anomalies with the illumination on? I am trying to figure out if I got a bad copy.

The one I received shows five bright spots that correspond with the tips of the tails on all the number 6. Visible even at low illumination, throughout the magnification range once the tree is visible.

It wouldn’t be a big deal, except those points are not on any crosshair point but draw the eye to them. I sent an email off to vortex yesterday, but wanted to see if others were seeing it also.

Hey - forgot to respond to your earlier post. Yes, same here, at max mag and certain ranges of brightness, I see some bright spots as well. I'll try to grab a pic to compare.

Thanks Chrome. This thread looked to be the one getting more active, so I thought I’d ask here also.

Reactions: chrome
Thanks Chrome. This thread looked to be the one getting more active, so I thought I’d ask here also.

I can't take pictures for shit with my phone on the scope, sorry. But I see very similar, if not the same sight picture your pictures yield above.

Thanks, maybe it’s just an effect from manufacturing this style reticle.

Should be fine for 1k, as long as its not precision work. I have no problems at 800y with my 1-6 on a 13.7 and have routinely been able to make 500-600 yard shots on 50% IPSC's with the 1-6.

This is normal. There is no avoiding it if you want the true daylight bright reticle. One thing to note is that you will not be able to see those when using the illumination adjusted to the environment you are shooting in. Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Scott

@Hatari I got around to checking mine. On high illumination on 10x it appears the top tips of all the "6" in the reticle has a small amount of illumination which appears to be dots. When set where illumination power is properly set for my eyes and for conditions and pointing into daylight on a higher illumination around 6 and indoors at lower around 3 it's not noticeable though and that is on 10x. Seems only noticeable in darker conditions with the illumination power turned up higher that would be used and on the higher magnification. I will live with it for everything else the scope has to offer as it's a small imperfection in a great scope.

^Mirrors my experience as well, only really see this in darker conditions with the red dot set to "nuclear".

The one I got to play with at the store had the same issue. I think its probably something you have to live with on these. One of the few weaknesses is the illumination bleed.

Once mine gets here in a few months, i will let you know if it does the same.

I had to look through mine to see what the big deal was about.

Thought I’d clarify the situation for those without one yet.

At 1x where you would use the illumination on nuclear, these “dots” are not visible.

At 10x, where they’re visible, you’d be out of your mind to use the illumination on nuclear. They’re also tiny. There’s no way you could mistake them for an aiming point.

Set it to a normal brightness and they become invisible.

Essentially, it’s a non issue. I’d rather have nuclear with tony dots you’ll never see than sorta bright with whatever else.

Last edited:
The one I own has the same “issue”. As mentioned before, you’ll just have to turn the brightness down when zooming in.

Just as side note, This phenomenon is not exclusive to our products. Most riflescopes with an etched reticle and bright enough illumination will exhibit the exact same thing. Whats happening is the illumination is catching the edge of the physical etching of the reticle features.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Scott

Reactions: Sabre672 and Rob01
Finally got mine in after finding one in stock on Amazon for 2k. One thing I've found is the eye relief for mine isn't 3.6" as stated, but more like 4.6". Is anyone else noticing this? I feel like I'm having to mount my razor much further forward on my weapon than anticipated.

I am coming from an Elcan Specterdr that had 2.75" eye relief so I know I could have that closer. I have had Lasic eye surgery in the past, dunno if that matters.

Attachments

• 20201007_232828.jpg
    20201007_232828.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: xxflyingturtlexx
Nothing. Caps take away from that floating image that these scopes are famous for.

Plus it’s a vortex. If something happens they’ll fix it. :)

That's a very good point, I hadn't thought about that. It has been working alright without them, so guess no real reason to have them.

That's a very good point, I hadn't thought about that. It has been working alright without them, so guess no real reason to have them.
You can probably find some bikini caps that would work for in transit protection, etc.

A set of flip ups won't effect anything. Used them on the Razor II 1-6 without issue and have them on the 1-10x also and again no issues.

Just got one a few weeks ago. Not sure which Grendel I’ll mount it on.

Awesome scope that really sets the new bar very high for what we should expect as a baseline for an LPVO.

I like the color a lot as well, since all of my rifles are Cerakoted FDE for the most part.

I see myself getting at least another one and probably making it standard for most of my AR-15s moving forward.

I rarely shoot anything longer than an 18” Grendel anyway. Been shooting a lot of 12” Grendel too.

I don’t see myself getting another 5.56 pipe longer than 13.7” ever again, so this is more than enough optic for 90% of my needs.

The only optics I use with more magnification top end are for the .260 Rem gasser, 6mm Grendel, and 22” Grendel.

Given the current climate, none of those are priority right now.