• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x sufficient for long distance?

glockguy56

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2017
Just picked up a vortex razor HD LH 2-10x from cabelas on clearance so I felt like I couldn't pass up the price. Would the 10 power be sufficient for hunting at a max of 400 yards? Or should I think about getting a higher powered optic? I would attempt steel past those distances but I don't know if I feel comfortable taking big game that far.

I've taken it out to 500 yard on steel plates and didn't feel limited by magnification in any way.

The smallest target I shot with it at 400 yards was an 8 inch plate and I did not have any issues seeing it and aiming at it even in sub-optimal light.

I do not know if that helps you, but that's the best I can offer.

ILya

For hunting applications that will be fine. For reference the Army issued 10x scopes on their sniper rifles(M24 for example) for years and they did a pretty good job engaging targets out to double your intended distance.

I shoot a 16” round plate at 1000yds with a a 6.5 Grendel using a NF 2.5-10X32. So 1-2 moa at 400-500, not really a problen if the shooter and rifle are capable.

I have shot an 8" plate at 600 yards on 10x with ease. In fact, I put a 2.5-10x on my AR specifically for shots out to 600 yards. As long as you have the scope set up for your eyes, I can't see it being an issue at all out to 400.

10X on coyotes or fox out to 400 should be just fine, more than enough for deer sized game. You won't be under glassed at all.

I shot my best long range match at around 10x on a hot august day. No problem shooting 1K at 10X.