• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 Opinion

brad.allen7

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2020
I have a buddy who is selling his rifle and was offering letting me buy the scope off of it which is a Razor HD LH 3-15x42. Anybody had one before or have any opinions? Looks to be a lower end Razor scope, however, it is still a razor. If I can talk him down to around $600 (he's taken good care of it), should I buy it? (he's also throwing in vortex scope rings for free).

is the glass on this in line with a higher end razor or because it is a cheaper model is the glass not as good?

Thanks.

I’ve had a couple in the past. Great optics for what they are. Good FoV, nice eyebox, parallax was forgiving. Shot mine to 1,100 yards a bit, and dialed them very regularly at mid ranges. Turrets were pretty mushy, but they tracked and returned to zero correctly. If you’re looking for a lightweight second focal plane hunting scope in the ~$600 range, it’s a good option.

I’ve had a couple in the past. Great optics for what they are. Good FoV, nice eyebox, parallax was forgiving. Shot mine to 1,100 yards a bit, and dialed them very regularly at mid ranges. Turrets were pretty mushy, but they tracked and returned to zero correctly. If you’re looking for a lightweight second focal plane hunting scope in the ~$600 range, it’s a good option.
Okay, I currently have a viper hst 4-16 that I use for hunting/range shooting. I could probably sell it for $400 so might just be worth upgrading it to the razor glass for the $200.

Okay, I currently have a viper hst 4-16 that I use for hunting/range shooting. I could probably sell it for $400 so might just be worth upgrading it to the razor glass for the $200.
You might have a hard time selling it for $400 since the diamondback tactical in FFP has come out since then, but I just got a razor LHT 3-15 with the locking exposed elevation turret, and the glass is AWESOME.

It would definitely be worth the upgrade though.

You might have a hard time selling it for $400 since the diamondback tactical in FFP has come out since then, but I just got a razor LHT 3-15 with the locking exposed elevation turret, and the glass is AWESOME.

It would definitely be worth the upgrade though.
Okay, considering it's an older scope, you think $600 is overpriced?

I don't know if I would personally go that route since the LHT is "only" a couple hundred more. I think I've seen it for as low as $800. The zero stop, exposed locking elevation turret, Illumination, and 30mm tube since I had rings all made it worth it to me. I was replacing a 3-15 Viper PST because I didn't like the FFP for hunting. I tried it and at 3x the reticle disappeared in low light and I didn't want to rely on a battery. I also wanted to be able to use this rifle to go out and shoot prairie dogs at longer ranges and like to dial for those little buggers.

I guess thats where your HST still would offer features that the razor wouldn't.

Last edited:
Both of mine brand new were ~$675. To me, 20 -25% off for used is reasonable- especially for a buddy, and especially since the optic has been discontinued. So $500 - $550 seems reasonable to me.

Reactions: ccasanova
I don't know if I would personally go that route since the LHT is "only" a couple hundred more. I think I've seen it for as low as $800. The zero stop, exposed locking elevation turret, Illumination, and 30mm tube since I had rings all made it worth it to me. I was replacing a 3-15 Viper PST because I didn't like the FFP for hunting. I tried it and at 3x the reticle disappeared in low light and I didn't want to rely on a battery. I also wanted to be able to use this rifle to go out and shoot prairie dogs at longer ranges and like to dial for those little buggers.
Okay, I may try to see if I can get him down to closer around $500, if not maybe I'll just stick with what I've got for now.

Reactions: ccasanova

I guess thats where your HST still would offer features that the razor wouldn't.

I'm curious, what benefits would the hst have over the razor? I had the 4-16 hst and I didn't like it very much. To much shadow around edges made image look small and eyebox tight.

I'm curious, what benefits would the hst have over the razor? I had the 4-16 hst and I didn't like it very much. To much shadow around edges made image look small and eyebox tight.
It’s less than half the weight and is smaller.

Aren't the rzr lh around 18 oz? I didnt think my viper was under that. Im juat curious because I'm thinking about getting the new lht

HD LH is an excellent scope. That having been said, if you plan to dial a lot, spring for the newer HD-LHT. Optically, they are very similar, but LHT is designed for dialing.

ILya

Yep....in my experience up to 10 mils....furthest ive checked, tracking is spot on.

And this Eurooptic deal is stupid......got my 2nd 50mm Hsr5i mil rad on the way.
Already have two of the 42mm versions......excellent scopes, by far my favorite 30mm tubed scope.

Yep....in my experience up to 10 mils....furthest ive checked, tracking is spot on.

And this Eurooptic deal is stupid......got my 2nd 50mm Hsr5i mil rad on the way.
Already have two of the 42mm versions......excellent scopes, by far my favorite 30mm tubed scope.

HD LH also tracked well, but the feel and lack of zero stop kinda imply it is not intended for frequent turret twisting.

Optically, they are virtually identical in the center, but HD-LHT is a touch better toward the edges.

Interestingly, the 42mm HD-LHT is slightly better overall in terms of optics during the day, but the 50mm does have an edge in low light.

ILya

Reactions: screaminweasil
I got a 42mm MOA version of the LHT because I didn’t quite want a 50mm bell on my hunting rifle. The ability to dial and have zero stop on a 19oz optic that is that nice to look thru is sweet.
Aren't the rzr lh around 18 oz? I didnt think my viper was under that. Im juat curious because I'm thinking about getting the new lht
The only thing the HST does better that the razor is he already has it and it dials.
The eye box on the razor LHT line is freaking huge.

Reactions: gnochi
HD LH also tracked well, but the feel and lack of zero stop kinda imply it is not intended for frequent turret twisting.

Optically, they are virtually identical in the center, but HD-LHT is a touch better toward the edges.

Interestingly, the 42mm HD-LHT is slightly better overall in terms of optics during the day, but the 50mm does have an edge in low light.

ILya

It looks like the HD LHT has a zero stop. Or does the EuroOptic MRAD lack the zero stop?

It looks like the HD LHT has a zero stop. Or does the EuroOptic MRAD lack the zero stop?
The last gen razor LH (Light Hunter) is different from the current LHT (Light Hunting Tactical).

The LH turrets are capped and aren't really designed to be used beyond zeroing.

The LHT has exposed locking elevation turret and capped windage with zero stop.

I agree with what has been said already about the glass and turrets.

600 is not a bad deal for the scope and rings if the rings are the vortex precision matched set. That is exactly the setup I have on a Tikka .260 rem and I like it quite a bit.

I got my first "Eurooptic" special yesterday. It has everything that the other ones have in the package including a very simple zero stop, illumination battery, sunshade, paperwork, etc.

The only difference I see is that the parrallax knob is only marked 20 yds and has an infinity label................there are marks in between 20 and Infinity, but they are not identified, just marked with a white line.

The numbers don't line up anyway, so no big deal to me. All my other HD LHT scopes with 42mm objective lenses are marked yardage at every white line, doesn't make any difference to me as I just adjust to eliminate parallax and the "yardage" guestimates are usually incorrect to some degree.