• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor Review

Re: Vortex Razor Review

My input.

The guys at Vortex are listening to what we want. They are bending over backwards to do the right thing. You cannot blame the girl at the desk for not knowing all of the answers right away but, she got the problem to the right people immediately.

These guys are here to do business like a lot of us. The difference is that they care about what we think and want. Some other companies might have tried to convince you that the "7" was supposed to be there! And that you were doing it wrong!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce makes a nice scope and I would buy one again even with their goofy markings
smile.gif
- if they made a scope with the features I want at a reasonable price (they don't).

Doesn't matter - Nightforce isn't reading this thread - only Sam is. Which is why Sam and Co. are gonna kick their ass (eventually). </div></div>

Your a fool

Just sayin'. </div></div>

Some of these remarks were made tongue in cheek but I guess some of you just dont get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LiteTac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My input.

The guys at Vortex are listening to what we want. They are bending over backwards to do the right thing. You cannot blame the girl at the desk for not knowing all of the answers right away but, she got the problem to the right people immediately.

These guys are here to do business like a lot of us. The difference is that they care about what we think and want. Some other companies might have tried to convince you that the "7" was supposed to be there! And that you were doing it wrong! </div></div>

Good post George and if you don’t mind I’ll bounce of it.
One might say your business could reflect that of Vortex, in that you are a smaller company listening, and trying to bring a quality product to your customers.
I appreciate the fact that when the hides ‘09 rifle build was announced, you then and now have continued to present the build with detailed specs/information and just that.

You gave the details and specs of your build, without needing to over state/hype your product, or yourself at the expense of other proven “heavyweights”
I appreciate that, because when that happens you may have just lost me for good. Some may concede that loss to the more unseasoned buyer and granted the numbers will be in their favor perhaps.

Sorry, no fan boy loyalty here to brand/vendor on any tool I purchase.
What have you done for me lately and what have you got to <span style="font-weight: bold">earn</span> my wallet.
You know I’m shopping price/value/quality and I respect the fact that you have a business to run and wont waste your time, so if we can both cut the bs, life is good.
CS is overrated in that shit does break and new product will almost always need some tweaks, but I wouldn’t be here if I did not already know <span style="font-weight: bold">it will </span>be taken care of properly by a hide vendor/manufacturer and I have done my homework properly.

Rough start out of the gate maybe but I hope and trust that in the end, we as customers and community will benefit!
Last thing, where/what and how I shoot, that “9” gets used and hovered over a great deal and I have no doubt, your build George is up to the task!
wink.gif

I love how there were no nightforces used in the review yet nightforce gets mentioned about as many times as the vortex. yah yah yah vortex = awesome customer service we get the fucking point. how bout we all just go out and shoot instead of squabbling about 7's and 9's and this company doesn't do this, and nightforce doesn't do that. I mean if you dont like the scope do not buy it, and if you do like it then just buy it. nightforce and vortex will take care of you either way otherwise they wouldn't be here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: missed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love how there were no nightforces used in the review yet nightforce gets mentioned about as many times as the vortex. yah yah yah vortex = awesome customer service we get the fucking point. how bout we all just go out and shoot instead of squabbling about 7's and 9's and this company doesn't do this, and nightforce doesn't do that. I mean if you dont like the scope do not buy it, and if you do like it then just buy it. nightforce and vortex will take care of you either way otherwise they wouldn't be here. </div></div>

Well aren't you just a badass.

Personally... I think the more that things get talked about, by more different people... the better a product will end up being. Especially when the company making the product has said and shown that they will listen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: missed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love how there were no nightforces used in the review yet nightforce gets mentioned about as many times as the vortex. yah yah yah vortex = awesome customer service we get the fucking point. how bout we all just go out and shoot instead of squabbling about 7's and 9's and this company doesn't do this, and nightforce doesn't do that. I mean if you dont like the scope do not buy it, and if you do like it then just buy it. nightforce and vortex will take care of you either way otherwise they wouldn't be here. </div></div>

YEA!!! Don't talk about anything! Shut the forum down!!!
cry.gif

Isn't talking about this kind of thing the whole point of a forum? Maybe I'm confused. Sharing info, reviews, experiences, and even OPINIONS... I thought all of that made us more aware and proficient shooters. Why are you here?

I'm a asshole in real life, not just on the Internet!

For the record I really like this scope, and I still plan on buying one, I spent about an hour looking and playing with the one Lowlight reviewed, as a matter of fact he unboxed for me to play with, because it was new to the market I opted to buy a different FFP mil/mil scope.

Im not trying to be a bad ass. Im just saying the horse is dead. I can count quite a few times someone from nightforce chimed in on a thread that pertained to a problem with a nightforce optic. Same with premier, falcon, and even IOR. Im just saying these guys charge big bucks for the product and they know we expect them to work. If there is a problem 9 times out of 10 there probably going to take care of it. We all know the first run of anything is bound to have problems thats the nature of the beast. Scott and Vortex have jumped on the grenade and fixed what was wrong and thats that. The rest of poo slinging reminds me of arfcom.

aj im not saying that and I believe there is a place for a awesome review like yours, but the shit that has followed your review about (ooooh I dont know if i want this scope now. Oh god red locktite holds this thing together.) its just a bunch of bullshit that doesnt need to be said over and over for 3 pages. Thats all i guess if that makes me an asshole then oh well.

missed - I get your point. And no, that doesn't make you an asshole. It just means you came off like one.
wink.gif

Easy there Jason, I have moved up to 175's from 168's after all.... I like my POS 308 just fine
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easy there Jason, I have moved up to 175's from 168's after all.... I like my POS 308 just fine
wink.gif
</div></div>

You're getting closer to respectable.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It least its Tannerite proof
grin.gif

</div></div>

Is it? This thread is a perfect reason why wacky reviews on a website and a high pricepoint don't suddenly negate the freshman status of a new product.

What was wacky about the review ?

We tested it, shot it and I continued to shoot it until I went home... the scope worked exactly as I said it did...

No one can review time or longevity of a line, that is up to the company to make it right, but we gave the product we had in hand every opportunity to fail, and it didn't. I also stated what I didn't like about it based on my experience and opinion... I never expect my opinion to match anyone else's and I cover that quite clearly.

The only thing I believe I forgot to mention in the video was the fact I saw artifacts in the reticle when the illumination was turned up... it reflected off the holdovers causing lit spots... otherwise I gave an honest assessment of what I saw based on what was in my hand during the time I had it.

Amen! It was blown up, drowned, it got its airborne wings and still provided the shooter the same accuracy out of the box after all that. The only thing I would have recommended was the use of the Slap Chop. Try that with a Counter Sniper...hehehe!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was wacky about the review ? </div></div>

The Tannerite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was wacky about the review ? </div></div>

The Tannerite. </div></div>

I liked it... haven't seen many "tests" where they set off explosive next to the scope. I've seen guys chuck a USO about 25 yards down a friggin' hill but not blown up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was wacky about the review ? </div></div>

Please you're a half an idiot then... we shot the snot out of it, a helluva lot more than 50 rounds, we drove it from 0 to 1000 yards every single day we shot it, we took it off, dropped from 4 meters, it, dragged it through the water, and yes, put some tannerite next to it...twice and you call it wacky because a guy on here had a turret lock up with less than 100 rounds.

It's better than buying something and maybe mounting it, almost shooting it and doing little more than commenting on the glass... all day, every day to anyone who will listen like the majority of "reviewers" do, or simply taking it out one day. It was the only scope on the rifle and we actually went shooting with it.

wacky or not, we did more to that scope in the time we had it than most will do in a lifetime of owning it... and you want to act like you have some insight because you believe the review to be wacky... please. Go back to your hole and pleasure yourself to the idea you have a clue. If the scope was going to fail, it would have failed, period, end of discussion, at the same time we gave an honest assessment, so pretending by using tannerite we duped the readers into believing the scope was better than it was is simply not true and load of crap because that is exactly what you are trying to imply.

Why don't you tell us what you would do differently to prove or disprove a product and I will be sure to put one in your hands to show us all how it is done. I'll be sure to use MY influence and the next scope up for review is yours to disprove.

Armchair commando.

I have to say that nothing puts a better test on a product than hard use and some cases abuse. Rifles are great if they shoot little tiny groups or pistols for that matter and we can photo them and post them on the web. Scopes are cool if we can read charts in different light waves and on different powers.

Any firearm that shoots tight groups but fails to go bang EVERY single time is almost worthless without repair. A scope that malfuctions is the same....almost worthless without repair. The demo......I think is a better word than review...review is like a gunwriter article. LL demo'd the capabilities of the Razor quit well. The test was appropriate because we don't have a long track record that is published of the Razor in a combat environment or even a hardcore tactical match environment.

The point is what LL did to the Razor would have been a boring documentary if I had to watch who knows how many hours on video. But a 10 minute "highlght" clip worked well for me.....I think those tests could have at least slowed down alot of scopes. The rifle looked pretty nice too I might add...love the bolt handle.

Derek

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was wacky about the review ? </div></div>

Please<span style="color: #FF0000">,</span> you're a half an idiot then... we shot the snot out of it, a helluva lot more than 50 rounds, we drove it from 0 to 1000 yards every single day we shot it, we took it off, dropped from 4 meters, it, dragged it through the water, and yes, put some tannerite next to it...twice and you call it wacky because a guy on here had a turret lock up with less than 100 rounds.

It's better than buying something and maybe mounting it, almost shooting it and doing little more than commenting on the glass... all day, every day to anyone who will listen like the majority of "reviewers" do, or simply taking it out one day. It was the only scope on the rifle and we actually went shooting with it.

wacky or not, we did more to that scope in the time we had it than most will do in a lifetime of owning it... and you want to act like you have some insight because you believe the review to be wacky... please. Go back to your hole and pleasure yourself to the idea you have a clue. If the scope was going to fail, it would have failed, period, end of discussion, at the same time we gave an honest assessment, so pretending by using tannerite we duped the readers into believing the scope was better than it was is simply not true and load of crap because that is exactly what you are trying to imply.

Why don't you tell us what you would do differently to prove or disprove a product and I will be sure to put one in your hands to show us all how it is done. I'll be sure to use MY influence and the next scope up for review is yours to disprove.

Armchair commando. </div></div>

I don't know that I would change your review really. I actually liked it. The point I was making was that even your unprecedented (wacky) review was not enough to uncover the issues in the production units which are now surfacing. The product is new on scene and very much in its freshman year compared to other scopes, such as NF. You make my point when your unit passed getting blown up with Tannerite but users are getting units with erroneous markings, unglued parts, and uneven illumination. Vortex seams to be putting their best foot forward but i think they have a ways to go before the scopes value matches the asking price. Others have echoed the same sentiment in this thread.

By the way, 7/10 rant. I deducted points for using the "Armchair Commando" cliche and for calling me an idiot while making grammatical errors in the same sentence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">By the way, 7/10 rant</span></span>. I deducted points for using the "Armchair Commando" cliche...
</div></div>

What does this refer to, or mean?

..............<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">By the way, 7/10 rant.</span></span>

Meaning on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being a awesome rant, he gives it a 7 on the rant scale. Lots of cursing and calling ones moms names would usually get a 10.

AJBello,

Did the problem render the turret completely inoperable, or was it just the zero stop that wasn't working?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tdow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AJBello,

Did the problem render the turret completely inoperable, or was it just the zero stop that wasn't working? </div></div>

Completely inoperable. The turret would not return to zero as it bound up at 1.7 mils or so (resistance started around 2 mils). Interestingly, it also wouldn't go the other way ("up") past about 4.5 mils. Upon further playing / spinning of the turret I found that those stop points weren't really consistent. Sometimes the 4.5 stop on the "up" would go away, and sometimes I could get the turret all the way to 1.2ish without binding on the way back to zero. I don't know if that's a function of that pin moving inside or what, but at any rate the turret was basically FUBAR.

From my understanding of the issue (and I would consider this a good thing), if you're scope makes it through the first firing session then chances are your pin was loc-tited and you're good to go. On that note, if your first firing session is solely at 100 just to zero and maybe shoot some groups, I would add some turret spinning in there to diagnose the problem should you have one. I got lucky in the sense that this shooting session was at some distance and required some elevation, and thus the issue was evident. In my case the turret / zero stop was still working great after the 5 rounds it took to zero. Had I stayed at 100 and just shot some paper, I might not have ever noticed the issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tdow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AJBello,

Did the problem render the turret completely inoperable, or was it just the zero stop that wasn't working? </div></div>

Completely inoperable. The turret would not return to zero as it bound up at 1.7 mils or so (resistance started around 2 mils). Interestingly, it also wouldn't go the other way ("up") past about 4.5 mils. Upon further playing / spinning of the turret I found that those stop points weren't really consistent. Sometimes the 4.5 stop on the "up" would go away, and sometimes I could get the turret all the way to 1.2ish without binding on the way back to zero. I don't know if that's a function of that pin moving inside or what, but at any rate the turret was basically FUBAR.

From my understanding of the issue (and I would consider this a good thing), if you're scope makes it through the first firing session then chances are your pin was loc-tited and you're good to go. On that note, if your first firing session is solely at 100 just to zero and maybe shoot some groups, I would add some turret spinning in there to diagnose the problem should you have one. I got lucky in the sense that this shooting session was at some distance and required some elevation, and thus the issue was evident. In my case the turret / zero stop was still working great after the 5 rounds it took to zero. Had I stayed at 100 and just shot some paper, I might not have ever noticed the issue. </div></div>

That happened to mine when I was setting the zero stop. It felt like the zero stop was limiting up rather than down travel. I figured I did it wrong, redid it and it worked normally.

I did get the failure of the zero stop pretty much out of the box. It worked intermittently until I sent it back, but the only time the turret was frozen was the instance I mentioned above.

Vortex has been on the ball with taking care of it. I've been very impressed with how responsive they have been. I would rather have not had to use the customer service, but I was aware of the possiblity of problems of being a "beta tester".

I'm looking forward to shooting the hell out of it when I get it back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Completely inoperable. The turret would not return to zero as it bound up at 1.7 mils or so (resistance started around 2 mils). </div></div>

I'm curious, let's say you were at a competition or out hunting, could you have set the turret for 2 mil and the used the dashes on the reticle for hold under? Sure, you would have had to do some quick math, but you could keep shooting right? Holdunders for anything close in, then dial what you could, then holdovers beyond that? It'd be a bitch for sure, but the scope was still working with a limited range of turret adjustment?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Completely inoperable. The turret would not return to zero as it bound up at 1.7 mils or so (resistance started around 2 mils). </div></div>

I'm curious, let's say you were at a competition or out hunting, could you have set the turret for 2 mil and the used the dashes on the reticle for hold under? Sure, you would have had to do some quick math, but you could keep shooting right? Holdunders for anything close in, then dial what you could, then holdovers beyond that? It'd be a bitch for sure, but the scope was still working with a limited range of turret adjustment? </div></div>

Could you? Sure....

Should you have to, for something that costs 2 grand? Negative......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Completely inoperable. The turret would not return to zero as it bound up at 1.7 mils or so (resistance started around 2 mils). </div></div>

I'm curious, let's say you were at a competition or out hunting, could you have set the turret for 2 mil and the used the dashes on the reticle for hold under? Sure, you would have had to do some quick math, but you could keep shooting right? Holdunders for anything close in, then dial what you could, then holdovers beyond that? It'd be a bitch for sure, but the scope was still working with a limited range of turret adjustment? </div></div>

Well yea, of course you could. The scope didn't spontaneously implode, the turret just took a shit. In an emergency you could absolutely just set the turret to any point and compensate with your reticle / hold under. I wouldn't really consider that *operable* though.