• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 Mil-Dot

Re: Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 Mil-Dot

Got mine mounted on my Remmy 700 SPS AAC with a AICS green chassis. Looks good, sending the bolt off to be upgraded.

Just got notification today that mine is on the truck and it wasn't suppose to be in stock until 6/30.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bayou1535</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got notification today that mine is on the truck and it wasn't suppose to be in stock until 6/30. </div></div>

Ordered mine a few days ago...same expected in-stock date 6/30. I sure hope I get notification that its on the truck before then too!

IMG_6078.jpg

IMG_6077.jpg

IMG_6076.jpg

Very nice set up!

Shot mine today on a Savage 12FV 223 Rem...very impressed. Compared with my Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 FFP, I dare say the Vortex is a touch sharper at 15x. I really, really like the turrets, especially compared to the Bushy and the Weaver GS Tactical 3-10x I own (which aren't bad themselves)...very positive.

As for reticle accuracy...I'm VERY new to distance estimation (as in, just learned how to do it in the last few days) but here is my very simple experience with this scope. Set a 8" plate up away from my shooting bench, and at 15x the plate was exactly 1 mil tall. Did the math and came up with 222yd. Dialed 200yd data in and scored a first-round hit about 1" low of center on the plate (yeah I know, no big feat for most but remember, I'm new to this). Had a family friend ride an ATV to the target and range my pickup with a LRF and it came back at 232yd. Hardly definitive, but its something...

If anyone has this scope and the weaver 3-15 tactical I would love to hear a comparison in glass quality between the 2. I know the weaver is $300 more, but they are the 2 that I am considering buying right now.
Thanks

I would go with the Vortex simply because it has matching turrets and reticule.

I have the Vortex Viper HS and I really like this scope...and for $399.99 @ Midway, hard to pass on this deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with the Vortex simply because it has matching turrets and reticule. </div></div>

So does the Weaver. It's the 3-15x50, 30mm, FFP, illuminated EMDR etched reticle model that I am talking about, not the 3-10 $299 model.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtlmj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got mine mounted today on my TBA M40A1. I can't believe the eyebox on this thing. When mounting it, even at 15x I could run it back and forth in the rings as far as it would go and I still couldn't get it to shadow out.

I hope to wring it out this weekend. It's light but seems to be built very well. I needed to keep the optic on this rifle KISS, and at a good price, since we just had a kid and the funds are being leveraged elsewhere at the moment.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">My rifle has had more tubes mounted on her than a mining town whore on payday:</span></span> S&B, USO, NF, SWFA, Leupold, Bushnell... with my current financial position and aging eyes, a nice big uncluttered mil-dot reticle, 15x top-end, quick focus eyepiece, and an outstanding price point are all just right. Thanks to Vortex and Midway for bringing us this glass!

[Pic Placeholder] </div></div>

That's the funniest thing I've heard all week! Thank you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rookie7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtlmj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got mine mounted today on my TBA M40A1. I can't believe the eyebox on this thing. When mounting it, even at 15x I could run it back and forth in the rings as far as it would go and I still couldn't get it to shadow out.

I hope to wring it out this weekend. It's light but seems to be built very well. I needed to keep the optic on this rifle KISS, and at a good price, since we just had a kid and the funds are being leveraged elsewhere at the moment.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">My rifle has had more tubes mounted on her than a mining town whore on payday:</span></span> S&B, USO, NF, SWFA, Leupold, Bushnell... with my current financial position and aging eyes, a nice big uncluttered mil-dot reticle, 15x top-end, quick focus eyepiece, and an outstanding price point are all just right. Thanks to Vortex and Midway for bringing us this glass!

[Pic Placeholder] </div></div>

That's the funniest thing I've heard all week! Thank you! </div></div>

Her virtues lie elsewhere.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: graewolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Bayou1535 said:
Just got notification today that mine is on the truck and it wasn't suppose to be in stock until 6/30. </div></div>

Ordered mine last night after reading this thread. Needed some glass for my 12LRP in .260, but $$$ glass is out of the question while I am in school full time
smirk.gif

This reminds me of the CMP "DBU" messages... "you'll know a status when we want you to know"

Couple more pics. I still can't believe this thing was only $400.

web.jpg

web.jpg

I picked up a few of these and all of them seem to look the same from one to the next optically when looking through them and comparing. Each zeroed with ease, I still need to test long range tracking performance but everything seems to be working like it should.

Good job Midwayusa and Vortex, I think you hit a homerun.

On a side note I had an issue with a different vortex scope and I wanted to share. I shipped the scope back to them Monday and received it back by Friday. I can’t ask for a faster turnaround and the scope’s issue was fixed. Thanks again Vortex for good swift service after the sale!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a side note I had an issue with a different vortex scope and I wanted to share. I shipped the scope back to them Monday and received it back by Friday. I can’t ask for a faster turnaround and the scope’s issue was fixed. Thanks again Vortex for good swift service after the sale!
</div></div>

It's reports of great customer service and Scott chiming in on this thread that made me try one out. I liked it and have faith in the company, so I ordered another one.

Interesting how good scope makers can charge and get what they asking because they stand behind their products but most U.S. rifle makers go the other direction.

I look forward to using this (my first Vortex) scope.

Just got mine off the truck today and it wasn't suppose to be here until 6/30. Now to start a thread on which mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bayou1535</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got mine off the truck today and it wasn't suppose to be here until 6/30. Now to start a thread on which mount.</div></div>

Bayou, when did you order your scope? I've got mine on back-order and the wait is killing me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bayou1535</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Order date of 4/12</div></div>

Amazing. I backordered mine on 4/9 and it hasn't shipped. Strike 1 for midway!

I have the Weaver and the Vortex. Glass is good on both, with a slight edge to the Weaver, with a 50mm obj and larger eyepiece.
Weaver has:
FFP
Glass etched reticle with .5 mil hash marks
Illumination
3x instead of 5x on the bottom end
Locking turrets
Vortex has:
Better turrets, with crisper detents and more intuitive operation
Mechanical zero stop
Substantially less weight and size
Substantially less money
If you have to have FFP, which is nice, get the Weaver. Great scope. The Vortex turrets are 0.1 mil and match the reticle at 15x. If you can live without FFP on your build, or if you plan to carry the rifle any distance, get the Vortex. The extra cash will buy a bunch of ammo. I would have no problem buying either one again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doctawho</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bayou1535</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Order date of 4/12</div></div>

Amazing. I backordered mine on 4/9 and it hasn't shipped. Strike 1 for midway! </div></div>

I ordered mine as well on 4/12 IIRC, and gawd I wish I had mine on the way too!! ARGH!

If purchased on a card do they charge the card right away or when it comes off back order?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when it comes off back order? </div></div>

My experience

I have both and generally agree with TenZero's evaluation.

However, I am considering mount the Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical on my M70 300WSM hunting rifle for its illuminated reticle and 3X on lower zoom end. I think both features would be useful for hunting. For shooting ranges I only shoot in broad daylight, so Vortex 5-15X44 on my 308 target rifle is a good combination.

I placed my order today and was assured that I would not be charged until the scope was shipped. I am sure hoping the 6/30 date is bumped up a bit.

Here is my set up.
Rem 700 SPS Tact
Seekins Low Rings 0.82
BC caps 33obj 14eye
20 moa base
IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TenZero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Weaver and the Vortex. Glass is good on both, with a slight edge to the Weaver, with a 50mm obj and larger eyepiece.
Weaver has:
FFP
Glass etched reticle with .5 mil hash marks
Illumination
3x instead of 5x on the bottom end
Locking turrets
Vortex has:
Better turrets, with crisper detents and more intuitive operation
Mechanical zero stop
Substantially less weight and size
Substantially less money
If you have to have FFP, which is nice, get the Weaver. Great scope. The Vortex turrets are 0.1 mil and match the reticle at 15x. If you can live without FFP on your build, or if you plan to carry the rifle any distance, get the Vortex. The extra cash will buy a bunch of ammo. I would have no problem buying either one again. </div></div>

Thank you for the comparison. The SFP will work for me. And spending the extra $300 for a slight edge in glass isn't worth it. I may reserve that for a new trigger and other things as they become "necessary".

As it seems some have gotten their "shipped" confirmation email recently on orders made after some other people (i.e. the example above where someone ordered 4/12 and got their shipped notification before the guy who ordered on 4/09), I called Midway and the service rep assured me that would never happen. lol He did mention that there are at least 100 scopes on the backorder list.
frown.gif
I sure hope I dont hvae to wait for June 30, rifle I am putting it on is coming in tomorrow.

OK.... HERE IS MY REVIEW...

First off I know there are several people that are waiting on orders to be filled and there has been issues with that as well... All I can say is hold on and wait it out.

Background on me: I am a cop... NO I am not attached to a rifle unit, srt, swat, etc... I am issued a M4... but I am just a CID/Internal Affairs guy that has shot competitions locally for about 14 years. I am NOT a pro.. I am NOT paid for this review... and I am NOT past or present military... Just love my toys and want the best bang for the buck WITHOUT sacrificing quality and dependability...

REVIEW..

Yesterday before some rifle qualifications I was able to get out (2) personal rifles to sight in and play with. Being the range master and dept gun bunny has its advanatages
smile.gif

Sooo I brought out (2) Remington 700 PSS rifles in .308.

1st one is a cut down 18 inch with a vortex and the 2nd is a factory 24 inch with a vortex.

Both are in factory stocks, and have 20 MOA bases and medium rings. I did a quick laser bore sighting inside my house to get them some what on paper...

I set up a target at 100 to sight in and suprisingly 2 rounds later I was on spot with the 18"... A little fine tunning and it was extremely on..

I quickly moved over to the 24" and had the same results...

Liking the 18" and seeing some VERY impressive accuracy results out of it, I decided to concentrate on playing with the scope on it.

I did a quick box drill and its was dead on.... I rolled through the windage and elevation SEVERAL times and it came right back on PERFECTLY.

I decided what the hell... I will UNLOADED of course drop the rifle on the butt stock ( NOT TRYING TO DAMAGE MY RIFLE AND THROW IT COMPLETELY DOWN) for a little shock testing and shot again... DEAD ON...

I played with about 20 more rounds pushing it only to 200 yards and was VERY impressed.

The knobs are VERY nice... they have a very positive feel to them and the focus knob is VERY user friendly as well. Some may have their ideas about the reticle... To me it is fine and does the job very well.

I have a Leupy Mark 4 TMR 6.5 - 20 - 50mm on a competition rifle and I will have to be honest... side by side...with glass, knobs, clarity, ease of use, reticle.... they are damn even and might even push in the Vortex's side...

I have to say that for the price... even with price NOT being considered, I would place this scope in the competition range of those higher end at a price point of $850-1100... It MAY even compete with the NightForces and others at the $1600 range..

I know that some will argue the WIRE RETICLE... but in all honesty, wire reticles today are NOT the same as years past...

As a fair review and a decent field testing I would HIGHLY recommend the scope and would NOT hesitate to use this scope on a department Police rifle. DISCLAIMER... It should be like all scopes tested first and verified before putting in the field.

That said, both HS scopes I have are DEAD ON and function perfectly with NO defects at all. I am VERY pleased and I know they will be worth the wait.

I am actually in the same boat as many of you. I am ordering another one and will be waiting as well.

My offer stands.. if there is anyone that wants something looked at... tested... just post it up.. I will do it.

I did NOT go out with a camera... I was not here to do a test and show everyone my target and measure groups... Just a fair and honest assessment of a scope that has garnered ALOT of attention and rightfully so.

If this is the steps that Vortex is moving in and they improve from this point even more.... they will definately be raising the bar for other manufactures.

Thanks,
Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Matt-thanks for taking the time to write up your review.

Thanks Matt.

I took one of mine to 800y today with a 308 and it followed the computer generated drops fine. I also ran a short tracking test. I only had enough paper to do 5 mil's and it was spot on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gamehawker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hennig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If someone has a spare one they want to sell... Ill pay full retail
smile.gif
</div></div>

There's is one for sale in "Optics for Sale Room". He asking $485 shipped.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3269821 </div></div>

Missed it, doh!

Midwayusa has updated their site and it now says that the expected date in stock is 8/9/12. These scopes are still selling good even out of stock!

Got mine zero'd today. Ran a box test around on a 5x5mil target that I made. Tracked perfectly.

Added the shims. I wasn't looking for a zero stop, just to prevent running it at the incorrect rotation. Had about 3.5mils below zero to play with, which is fine for my purposes.

Ran the elevation turret all the way down a couple times to tamp down the shims, then all the way up and back down to zero and fired the final three rounds to point of aim in about a 3/8" group.

Still can't believe this scope was $400.

I'm not waiting til August. Would the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x 50mm at $460 be roughly equal or a big step down?

I should have bought 4-5 of these things, and would have too had the wife not kicked my ass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gicts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not waiting til August. Would the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x 50mm at $460 be roughly equal or a big step down? </div></div>

I dont think it would be a big step down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762SD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gicts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not waiting til August. Would the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x 50mm at $460 be roughly equal or a big step down? </div></div>

I dont think it would be a big step down. </div></div>

Thanks. Are there any other contenders in that price range? The Leupold VX-2 is $30 more.....

Looking at that and a Boyd's stock to finish a .308 Mauser build.

Should you mount your scope for eye relief on the highest power?

762SD,

You will find that once the scope is mounted it gives GREAT eye relief... you really WONT have to worry much about highest magnification and it shading out.

Matt. (LEO SOUTH GA.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">762SD,

You will find that once the scope is mounted it gives GREAT eye relief... you really WONT have to worry much about highest magnification and it shading out.

Matt. (LEO SOUTH GA.) </div></div>

I guess I mounted mine too far forward because when I do put it on the highest setting I do get the shading. Guess I'll have to back it off a skosh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdazzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sold out until 8/09/12? Bummer, Guess I'll give the VX-R patrol a try first. </div></div>

Wow, August? Glad I ordered mine before that....still have a BO date of 06/30 on my order. Although, the more I think about it, end of June is a long way off. Do I really want to wait 2+ months to shoot this new rifle? Was hoping to hear mine is getting delivered like some have already, but knowing my luck that wont happen. I may start entertaining some alternate ideas. I know its a good deal but I just dont know if I can be that patient.