• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 Mil-Dot

Re: Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 Mil-Dot

Bryce6750,

It does not have the notches. I have a 4-16 PST FFP and it does not either. The 2.5-10 PST I recently picked up does have the notches so I'm not sure the reasoning behind having them or not. It doesn't seem it would matter on a FFP model but on a SFP model it would.

Thank you John2247
So this scope is a FFP? I thought it was a SFP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryce6750</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you John2247
So this scope is a FFP? I thought it was a SFP </div></div>

its an sfp scope

I was in hopes it had notches or was FFP to make it easier. I will have mine tomorrow anyway.

I didn't have a chance to read the manual but the number 15 is red on the dial so I would almost bet the reticle is calibrated for max zoom.

How would a scope like the vortex viper hs or pst compare to a scope like a nightforce 3.5-15 NXS scope. Price is around eight hundred more for a nightforce, but how much of a difference is there between the two?

Sorry to throw a monkey wrench in the thread.

Can someone give me an exact measurement of the objective diameter? With the mount I am using on my AR it is very low and I only have a tiny bit of clearance with my 44mm bushnell so I would like to compare. Thanks.

Not really exact, but it measures 2.05" w/ a scale and is about 13.5" long. I don't think it really needs notches to feel if it's set to range; if in doubt just turn it all the way clockwise. YMMV

The bell at the obj is rounded, so it doesn't give a good smooth look if you're useing the shade.

There's a fo bead in the elev turret that points toward shooter when on zero. Turret feel pretty good, but I feel a little difference as I turn (not all clicks feel the same).

Glass looks good, it'll probably look better when I get it mounted vs just holding it.

I'm going to mount mine on a MK12 look-a-like. If there's any issues with it, I'll post them. So far, it looks like it's worth a lot more than what I paid for it.

Got both mine yesterday. Glass looked good, turrets felt decent, and scope was too heavy or long. So far for 399.00 I like it alot. Once I get some rings ill post some pics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryce6750</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you John2247
So this scope is a FFP? I thought it was a SFP</div></div>

Sorry my post was misleading. The scope is not FFP and it does not have notches.

Anybody else notice Midway currently has these scopes on "Clearance", meaning you can't use any coupon codes on them...but the price is the original $499.99?

After following this thread for a few months I ordered one of these, it should be here this week. From all of the comments on here it looks like the scope is worth the current price of $499.

I'm confused, and pardon my ignorance, but what's the big deal with this particular scope? Since the Viper HS comes in a 4-16, you're losing out on the magnification range.

However it does have the mildot reticle (and I'm guessing?) matched to mil/mil. Is that what's making this so desirable?

I have a Viper PST FFP and it kicks serious ass. Was just wondering about this particular model.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but what's the big deal with this particular scope?</div></div>

Price. After shipping, I paid ~$410 for a scope that I would compare to a $600+ scope. It's mil/mil, but is SFP and non-lum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm confused, and pardon my ignorance, but what's the big deal with this particular scope? Since the Viper HS comes in a 4-16, you're losing out on the magnification range.

However it does have the mildot reticle (and I'm guessing?) matched to mil/mil. Is that what's making this so desirable?

I have a Viper PST FFP and it kicks serious ass. Was just wondering about this particular model.</div></div>

It's a lot of scope for the money. For me the deal breaker was the mil-dot and mil/mil adjustment, combined with Vortex's reputation for clear glass and repeatable tracking, at a decent price. I really wish I would have bought one of these when they were $399 but it appears that even at $499 I'll be happy.

To me the magnification range is a moot point, honestly, I will probably leave it at 15x 95% of the time and the difference between 15x and 16x isn't significant. I rarely put my variable powered scopes on their lowest settings.

That scope looks like a incredible value. I have bought several PST's and HS's and have been very impressed with what you get from vortex !

I was just looking at grabbing another scope for my new .22. Given I want mil/mil and something from Vortex, its either this for $500, or a PST 2.5-10 for $600.. and the PST loses on magnification range, and has no parallax adjustment. All the PST seems to have over it is the illum ret, and some of the lense coatings.

The HS really does offer a lot for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hennig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just looking at grabbing another scope for my new .22. Given I want mil/mil and something from Vortex, its either this for $500, or a PST 2.5-10 for $600.. and the PST loses on magnification range, and has no parallax adjustment. All the PST seems to have over it is the illum ret, and some of the lense coatings.

The HS really does offer a lot for the money.</div></div>

I happen to own both of these scopes. To me it boils down to the Mildot vs the MRAD and ill ret. I prefer all the features of the HS over the 2.5 but the reticle.

That's a good point actually. I do prefer the mlr on my 6-24 PST.

Still a tough decision
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hennig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a good point actually. I do prefer the mlr on my 6-24 PST.

Still a tough decision
smirk.gif
</div></div>

Same here, I'm all about hash marks on my MLR vs. a mildot for some reason.
smirk.gif

I just had 2 more of these show up the other day. The one I bought when they first came out has been doing well. Now I need to decide what rifles these will go one.

Bb

I just got mine yesterday from Midway and paid $499.00. It looks like it's worth every penny of the price. It will be going on my new LR 308 over the weekend. Just bought the LR308 Monday. Next week I'll get to try them both out.
grin.gif

I ordered one based on the comments and reviews on here.

Used coupon AR15835 and got $35 off. It ain't $399 but better than nothing....
wink.gif

I've been using mine for about 4 months now. It's all boxed up now, ready to go back to Vortex for warranty service. The glass on mine was much worse than I would expect. Clarity wasn't awful as long as my head was positioned perfectly in the center of the eye box. The scope had a clear lack of contrast, though. I'm interested to see what Vortex has to say.

Other than that, awesome scope! All the features I need, and none of the features I don't need. Ridiculous for $399, impressive for $499.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been using mine for about 4 months now. It's all boxed up now, ready to go back to Vortex for warranty service. The glass on mine was much worse than I would expect. Clarity wasn't awful as long as my head was positioned perfectly in the center of the eye box. The scope had a clear lack of contrast, though. I'm interested to see what Vortex has to say.

Other than that, awesome scope! All the features I need, and none of the features I don't need. Ridiculous for $399, impressive for $499. </div></div>

Im interested to hear what they say. Please update us when you can.

I'd like to know how the ZERO STOP is working for the guys who have set it up. IMO it sucks and is not worth using, it doesn't have a POSITIVE stop, once you hit the stop you can continue to turn the turret which throws off the mil marks on the turret. Has anyone else experienced this?

Cox380,

I like the extra give as I set my zero at 200 and have enough to dial down to 100 to shoot paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to know how the ZERO STOP is working for the guys who have set it up. IMO it sucks and is not worth using, it doesn't have a POSITIVE stop, once you hit the stop you can continue to turn the turret which throws off the mil marks on the turret. Has anyone else experienced this?</div></div>

Works for me. I found that the stop feels much more solid if you stack all the shims on one side, as opposed to alternating back and forth. Once you feel the turrets resisting, stop torquing it! Mine traveled about .4 mils past zero, then I turned it back until it hit zero. The biggest advantage here is knowing you are on the correct revolution.

If ya find that the zero stop goes, say. 0.6mil below your zero...crank the scope 0.6mil above zero and shim it there.

WHAMMY, it'll stop where you want it to.

Well it came in and appears to be a damn nice scope. Bought a Zeiss MC Conquest with Rapid Z 800 reticle in the interim, just not enough patience
smile.gif

My Vortex power ring is "Extremely" difficult to turn. Worked it back and forth a few times with no difference regarding loosening up. May have to ship it off. Any others with this problem?

My power ring is firm, but not difficult to turn.

As for the zero stop, it works as advertised - stops you a few .mils past zero. As others said, you can just pack it high so it winds down to your exact zero, or just dial it back up when you feel it bottom out.

I don't know, My power ring is pretty damn hard as well!! Let me know what comes of yours 1J04

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyoslvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know, My power ring is pretty damn hard as well!! Let me know what comes of yours 1J04</div></div>

hyoslvr, "damn hard" would be spot on. As such I'm actually afraid to mount it at this time because with the amount of force needed to turn it god only knows if it's gonna hold zero after all the reefing. I would crap kittens if I saw someone handle one of my gun/scopes like this one has to be. I'll keep cranking on it for another day or so. Correct your evil way or out the door ya go.

I've had mine about 3 weeks now, and working it back and forth hasn't helped much. I'm thinking maybe there was a bad batch? Maybe vortex can weigh in on this??

Mine is difficult to turn, too...not a dealbreaker by any stretch but a minor annoyance.

OK guys. You made me pull mine out to check, since I haven't mounted it yet. I have one of the "firm" ones. It's stiff, but not "damn hard".

Nope, not a deal breaker by any means, but it does take one hell of alot of tork to get it turning and that's a problem I'd rather not have to deal with. Wish Scott from Vortex would chime in. Might have to PM'm and get him in the loop. They'll take care of it, just don't wanna let it go after waiting 4 months. We'll see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1J04</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Wish Scott from Vortex would chime in. </div></div>

Same here. Hopefully he will

Mine was from the earlier lot (SN #000140) and the power ring was pretty damn stiff. No way I could adjust it without pulling off target. I didn't mind, since I was on 15x most of the time, anyways. Shoot them an email if it bothers you guys. They usually respond within a few business hours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine was from the earlier lot (SN #000140) and the power ring was pretty damn stiff. No way I could adjust it without pulling off target. I didn't mind, since I was on 15x most of the time, anyways. Shoot them an email if it bothers you guys. They usually respond within a few business hours.</div></div>

True enough Temp9, on all points. Nuff said, thx.

Just got one in and it is in the "damn hard" category as far as the power ring adjustment goes. I've handled another one of these scopes briefly before getting this one. The other one was brand new, but the power ring wasn't as bad. Interestingly however, the side focus on the one that I got is a little looser than the other one I got to check out before getting mine. I don't think it's too loose, but loose enough to notice the difference between the two.

After playing with the magnification adjustment ring, I did a quick search for one of those cat tails. Found a vendor that actually put something to the effect: makes it easier to adjust the magnification on Vortex scopes which are usually very difficult to adjust. Got a chuckle from that.

Unfortunately, Vortex's cat-tail "Switchview" lever doesn't fit on the 5-15x's. Here's direct from their website:

"The Switchview Throw Lever will not fit the HS 5-15x44 riflescope (available through Midway USA)."

I believe the 5-15x's are using the same magnification rings as the Crossfire Gen II's. Interestingly, I believe that's the only mention of the 5-15x's on Vortex's website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately, Vortex's cat-tail "Switchview" lever doesn't fit on the 5-15x's. Here's direct from their website:

"The Switchview Throw Lever will not fit the HS 5-15x44 riflescope (available through Midway USA)."

I believe the 5-15x's are using the same magnification rings as the Crossfire Gen II's. Interestingly, I believe that's the only mention of the 5-15x's on Vortex's website. </div></div>

Thanks for that heads up. That would have been a bummer to order that and find out it wouldn't fit.

For a cat tail or switchview, try a "Breakaway Coaster".

nbreakawaycoaster.jpg

NC1 "Universal" Black Coaster Clips from Breakaway. They're used to secure a reel to a rod. Order them here. I use one on my Tac30 1-4x and MTAC 3.5-10x. Less than $20 for the pair (not sure if they're still sold as pairs).

The knob part turns to tighten them down. Once tight, use a sharp razor to cut the excess off.

Here's a (lousy) pic of the one on my 1-4x. You can see the knob right above the Burris logo on the ocular:

IMG_1526.jpg