• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 Mil-Dot

Re: Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 Mil-Dot

If your magnification ring is harder to turn than you would like it to be, we are more than happy to do what we can to loosen it up. Feel free to call our customer service at 800-426-0048 and we will get it taken care of.

We generally will have them on the stiffer side when they leave here for a couple of reason's, one is because they will generally loosen up a bit in the sun and after use, and two is to avoid accidental adjustments when you dont want them. The latter really only pertains to second focal plane scopes. That being said, I have not yet seen one these scopes with the extremely stiff mag ring so I cannot comment specifically to this yet.

Feel free to call us anytime if you have any questions or comments.

Best Regards
Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strat81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a cat tail or switchview, try a "Breakaway Coaster".

nbreakawaycoaster.jpg

NC1 "Universal" Black Coaster Clips from Breakaway. They're used to secure a reel to a rod. Order them here. I use one on my Tac30 1-4x and MTAC 3.5-10x. Less than $20 for the pair (not sure if they're still sold as pairs).

The knob part turns to tighten them down. Once tight, use a sharp razor to cut the excess off.

Here's a (lousy) pic of the one on my 1-4x. You can see the knob right above the Burris logo on the ocular:

IMG_1526.jpg
</div></div>

F'N A!... nice find....

Ok, I just read through the entire thread. I guess I got one of the first ones, and I'm quite happy with it.

My experience with Vortex Optics includes owning:

* Viper 6.5-20x44 Mildot (great scope for the money)
* Viper PST 2.5-10x44 MRAD (my favorite)
* Viper R/T 8x Mini Binos w/Mil reticle and range finder sils (the binos I have been looking for my whole life, but <span style="font-style: italic">knew</span> nobody would ever make, as the idea makes too much sense)
* Nomad Spotting scope (I use it to watch Jupiter's moons on clear nights, in addition to spotting.)
* Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 Mildot Midway scope

I still don't see how they get it into this price point, and it can't be beat really for what it is and the features it has. I jumped on this when I saw it appear on Midway's site. Mine also didn't show up with any shims for the zero-stop, but I received a package without any input from me that had the shims later.

I do have a fairly stiff mag ring, but I keep it on either 10x or 15x.

For a scope that has zero-stop, the same PST turrets, matching turrets/reticle, side focus, and an overall solid quality construction, this is a great deal.

Jumping back and forth between NF and this at BoomerShoot this year, I didn't realize a whole ton of practical or striking differences.

If you're a working man or student on a budget, you get a lot of scope for your money with this. This Vortex Viper PST and HST product line has made it so that you either:

1) Spend very little on quality glass with all the features you need for long-range shooting, or

2) If money isn't the biggest factor for you, you can drop coin on $&B, U$O, or Hen$oldt. (The new Hensoldt is sick BTW.) Even still, if you have a lot of blasters that need glass, and you're made of dough, you can still top them all with quality Vortex glass with some of the best-feeling turrets on the market, at a fraction of the cost, and get the best customer service in the industry. I've personally dealt with warranty issues with S&B, and have friends with CS/warranty issues with NF, and that is the slow train for sure.

I've compared my Viper PST next to a Leupold Mk IV, and the Leupold glass was clearly brighter, clearer, crisp, but the turrets felt like mush. I just don't deal well with mushy turrets and click values that feel like they're slipping. If we could have the Mk IV or HD glass in a Viper PST, with more elevation travel, there would be less demand for the other companies, even for those with deep pockets.

I'll have to take some reticle pics next time I go out with my .260 Rem and Grendel, to show comparisons between the Viper PST 2.5-10x44 and Viper HS Tactical.

Well I got mine all boxed up and ready to send to Scott. He's gonna take a look at the magnification knob and see what's going on.

Thanks Scott for taking the time to address our concerns.

I got to use my Vortex 5-15X44 on Wednesday, 8/15. It's mounted on my LR 308. It is very clear, sharp, and easy to use, and holds it's zero. It took three shots to zero it, using the mildots to measure how much to change the settings. I really like this scope. My magnification ring is stiff but not a problem. It's an absolute steal at the price, even at the $400 I paid, Midway charges for it. Great scope for the money!
grin.gif

Not to hijack the thread, but since Scott stops in every now and then, any ETA of when the Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP will be coming out? I know it says Fall, but is it still on track to come out this fall?

Also in one pic the parallax knob looks like it will be capped, and on another photo it looks to have an exposed turret. Could you clarify which one it is?

Back to my lane.

I am really interested in one of these scopes. I e been drooling over the 6-24 PST for a while now. It my divorce situation is limiting my funds. I'm trying to sell my Leupold Long Range Tactical 3.5-10X with ill. Ret to be this scope. I think the 15X top end, better (and matching) turrets will more than make up for the loss of ill. Reticle. I'm guessing the glass isn't too different in quality and the Vortex appears like it might have a more forgiving eyebox. I'm real tempted to use the $50 Midway coupon to order this and hope I can sell my Leupold somewhat soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moredots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to hijack the thread, but since Scott stops in every now and then, any ETA of when the Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP will be coming out? I know it says Fall, but is it still on track to come out this fall?

Also in one pic the parallax knob looks like it will be capped, and on another photo it looks to have an exposed turret. Could you clarify which one it is?

Back to my lane. </div></div>

The HS LR's have an exposed elevation turret and capped windage. As for when they will start shipping my best guesstimate at this time would be late fall.

Regards
Scott

Scott I sent the scope out Friday. Just wanted to let you know "IF" you do in fact find the mag adjustment defective you have my permission to post any pics or useful information of my scope so other guys can know what's going on. Not that you need my permission just wanted to trow that out there. Thanks

Hey I may have missed it but I was wondering if any one would mind telling me what the min. parallax adjustment on this scope is.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Suresperance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey I may have missed it but I was wondering if any one would mind telling me what the min. parallax adjustment on this scope is.

Thanks</div></div>

Lowest marked setting is 50m. Mine turned a bit past to 35-40m.

Thanks! considering One for my .17hmr. I'll watch to see if it goes on sale or what the new mid range variable ss from swfa is all about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Suresperance</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the new mid range variable ss from swfa is all about. </div></div>

Do you have more info on this?

I don't I don't think any One does however they posted teaser pics both here and on face book showing a new scope that looks identical to the ss10x but it had a side focus knob AND a rear what I'm assuming to be a power ring. so I'm hoping its something like a 4-16 its either that or its a rear focus 10x with a side illumination knob. those are my guesses anyways I'm waiting to learn more details before I pull the trigger on a new scope.

sorry for spelling and grammar mistakes I'm on my phone.

202485_10151123355746079_899891565_o.jpg

I hope this works but I just found the pic. upon further inspection its definitely a side parallel adjustment which means it should be a variable! now we wait to hear specs and price from swfa .

sorry for the hijack every One.

Yeah I saw that on FB too. I was just wondering if you had heard anything else. A agree it looks like a variable power/ side focus scope. Can't decide if I want to wait and find out or get the Vortex in this thread...

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been using mine for about 4 months now. It's all boxed up now, ready to go back to Vortex for warranty service. The glass on mine was much worse than I would expect. Clarity wasn't awful as long as my head was positioned perfectly in the center of the eye box. The scope had a clear lack of contrast, though. I'm interested to see what Vortex has to say.

Other than that, awesome scope! All the features I need, and none of the features I don't need. Ridiculous for $399, impressive for $499. </div></div>

Im interested to hear what they say. Please update us when you can.</div></div>

Just got off the phone with Kelli (sp?) from Vortex. They agreed with me that the clarity was on the low side for this scope, so they're sending me a better one one, to be shipped out tomorrow. She also mentioned that if I still wasn't pleased with the new one, they could give me credit towards a different scope. Very good customer service, as expected. I'll update this thread again when the scope arrives and I have a chance to peep through it.

I got mine last week (#539) and finally mounted it yesterday. After finishing I laid behind the gun and noticed that when I turned the power ring from either 5x or 15x the reticle would cant slightly, probably 2-4 degrees, and I could hear what sounded like grease moving as I moved the power ring. I checked the torque on the rings and tried to move the scope body and ocular lens to make sure the scope was mounted securely and that I wasn't applying too much torque as I moved the magnification ring. The magnification ring on my scope is fairly stiff. After checking all of these variables it was apparent that the scope itself wasn't moving, only the reticle. The scope was in a Bobro mount and all of the rings were torqued to 20 ft lbs.

Anyone else experience this?

Didn't notice anything like that with mine. Just got an email fedex saying mines back on the way to me. Scott what did you find out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The scope was in a Bobro mount and all of the rings were torqued to 20 ft lbs.
</div></div>

I think you mean 20 inch pounds.

I am waiting on a pair of seekins rings for my new scope, but in the mean time I've been turning the power adjustment ring back and forth occasionally to see if it will loosen up and it has. It is still a little more stiff between the 5X and 6X setting, but the rest of the adjustment range has improved. I think in time it will smooth itself out completely, at least that is my hope.

I do think it's awesome that Vortex is willing to adjust this for owners whose scopes are the tighter end. That's really good customer service for a scope in this price range.

I emailed their customer service to see if there would be a switchview for this model scope and was told the one marketed for the razor will fit the midway exclusive model just in case anyone wondered the same thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The scope was in a Bobro mount and all of the rings were torqued to 20 ft lbs.
</div></div>

I think you mean 20 inch pounds.
.</div></div>

Nice catch, yes I meant inch pounds... I really do know better LOL.

I called Vortex and told them about my issue, they e-mailed me a shipping label within an hour for its return. I'm looking forward to getting this scope back, I really like it.

Just did a bit of comparison with my mag rings. My HS (#00016), is comparable to my 6-24 PST, with my 2.5-10 PST being a little looser.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyoslvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't notice anything like that with mine. Just got an email fedex saying mines back on the way to me. Scott what did you find out? </div></div>

It just had a little too much grease in the mag ring. Just had to pop the mag ring off and wipe off some grease. It more than likely would have loosened up over time once the grease broke down a little from use and heat(from sun). It was definitely on the stiff side though. The most stiff I have seen, for sure.

It's much better now though, should be good to go.

Scott

da-da-damn, why do they make my heart beat so fast.

I don't even have <span style="color: #FF6666">resolution</span> on three pieces of HD glass that I have from them. da-da-damn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Suresperance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

202485_10151123355746079_899891565_o.jpg

I hope this works but I just found the pic. upon further inspection its definitely a side parallel adjustment which means it should be a variable! now we wait to hear specs and price from swfa .

sorry for the hijack every One. </div></div>

Lord, please let me hold out for a NF 8-32x56 MOAR reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyoslvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't notice anything like that with mine. Just got an email fedex saying mines back on the way to me. Scott what did you find out? </div></div>

It just had a little too much grease in the mag ring. Just had to pop the mag ring off and wipe off some grease. It more than likely would have loosened up over time once the grease broke down a little from use and heat(from sun). It was definitely on the stiff side though. The most stiff I have seen, for sure.

It's much better now though, should be good to go.

Scott </div></div>

Sounds great!! Thanks Scott and Vortex
smile.gif

Ireceived my b-day discount from Midway today and ordered it for $435 delivered. Thanks to all that posted on this great buy!

If i mount this on a Rem SPS varmint .308 that has a 20 moa weaver rail, will I need low or med rings? I use Warne rings normally and prefer them. I'm thinking the Med. ring @ .375 tall. Anyone setup this combo?. Ordering the glass This weekend and want to make sure to have the correct rings. I have a set of Low 30mm Warnes in the QD series.
Thanks in advance for any input guys!

Midway is now showing the Viper HS 5-15x44 as "unavailable - seasonal run".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midway is now showing the Viper HS 5-15x44 as "unavailable - seasonal run". </div></div>

Yep. I hope I didn't miss out. I just found out about this one this week.

There is NO WAY that Vortex is going to stop making that scope. It's a big seller for them. It may no longer be a Midway exclusive, but I'd be very surprised if they just 'went away'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is NO WAY that Vortex is going to stop making that scope. It's a big seller for them. It may no longer be a Midway exclusive, but I'd be very surprised if they just 'went away'.</div></div>

No kidding, this is a pretty nice scope for the money and allows someone on a budget to get a mil/mil scope with some decent glass and a zero stop. Hopefully they will keep this scope in production.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midway is now showing the Viper HS 5-15x44 as "unavailable - seasonal run". </div></div> I wonder if I got one of the last ones. Placed my order Friday morning and got notification it was shipped. Too bad if that's all she wrote. I was gonna order another one next week.

This scope is outstanding. I don't think there is another one out there that can even come close for the money. I was lucky and got it when it was on sale. My only regret is I wish I had bought a half dozen or more! Could have made a killing reselling these things!

Of course I miss this. If anyone knows where I can get my hands on one of these or if they're coming back in stock ever please let me know.

Watch to For Sale section here. I think they pop up from time to time.

I asked about this scope on the Vortex board over on Arfcom and this is the response i got for VortexOptics:

"Yeah, I can see why you like it so much. It's a really nice scope, but I don't foresee it making its way into our regular lineup. Midway will be getting another shipment later this year. It looks like reasonable quantities but I would recommend placing that order as soon as possible because it won't take long for them to sell out."

Seems that Midway just doesn't want to run back orders on them, but will be getting more in.

I wonder why Vortex is so unenthusiastic about selling this particular model.

I've got one on the way from another member here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Randoman5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder why Vortex is so unenthusiastic about selling this particular model.</div></div>

Probably because at $500 or less it's such a good value proposition it's hard to justify getting a Viper PST. I bet MidwayUSA was willing to buy enough to make it worth their while.

Went to the range today and was looking threw my scope at 5x. I noticed three specks of dirt, tried to wipe them off only to find out it’s on the inside! Decided it must be on the back of the focus because it moves when I adjust it. I think I remember reading that they might have used too much grease inside, I wonder if this is “splatter” from grease and recoil..

At 15x everything disappears.

Anyone else notice this with their scopes?

No issues with specks on the glass. Took it out to the range for the first time yesterday. Glass is good. Clarity is better than the 4-16x50 PST IMO. Good buy.

How can you have a second scope on the way? They are Unavailable - Seasonal Run item?
I do agree they are a great scope for the money. Perfect scope fit for my 20" Remington LTR 308.

Midway is now showing this scope as "Out of Stock - Backorder Okay" with a December 10th 'expected' date...

Still love this thing.

Have a 5-15 HS, 2.5-10 PST, 6-24PST and a Razor.. and this 5-15 still wins the best bang for $$ award. Awesome bit of gear.

I have a stupid question (I am full of them these days) Is it FFP or SFP? Also will midway charge you at time of order or when it is shipped?