• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST 1 to 4 vs Burris MTAC 1x4 ctxt

JTinIN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2003
Indiana
www.issmc.com
Looking for recommendations on the Vortex Viper PST 1 to 4 vs Burris MTAC 1x4, the catch being these are for use on full auto 223s. Have been having good luck with Aimpoint redots at shoots, however, could use a little more power at greater distance and as I get older. Would just ad the three power magnifier, however, several of these are HKs with limited rail space.

Thus before making a long term investment in a S&B Short Dot or Elcan SpecterDR wanted to try a brightly lighted low power variable scope for a bit. Plus once get done with the testing, figure either scope would work well on son's light weight AR15 carbine.

Another option is the SWFA SS 1x4 for $800, which may have a lower power but no FOV is listed, so just a guess at best with out further information.

Thanks in advance.

Update:
One of the guys also said to check out the Leupold 1.25-4x20 VX-R Patrol Tactical, which at under $600 might be an option.

Re: Vortex Viper PST 1 to 4 vs Burris MTAC 1x4 ctxt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ran all 3
like the Patrol the best for 3 gun
</div></div>

I am definitely not a Leupold fan anymore, but the Patrol has some merit for this ^

First pass was going to be the three power magnifier and a red dot, if can shoe horn it in.

Appreciate any other ideas and experiences, just hate to spend much over a grand with out just jumping to the Elcan or S&B and being done with it.

Thanks

I have been keeping an eye on the burris tac-30 1-4x.

It seems a decent setup and, personally, I am not a big believer in FFP for a low powered cqb type application. I am not going to be ranging with that optic and chances are, if the shot is long, I'm going to be on 4x anyway.

Do you forsee a lot of dialing adjustments?
It seems to me that this would be one of the determining factors, as you may or may not want or need exposed turrets.
A decent low powered shotgun scope might fit the bill, usually around 1.5 - 5 x with generous eye relief and built to take a pounding.

The Meopta K dot s a damn fine scope, but spendy.
Vortex has an entry that is very appealing, the aforementioned burris offerings (MTAC, Tac-30 and XTR). Weaver has a 1-5x.

Also, have you considered the IOR pitbull?

I just put the Burris Tac30 on my 20" AR15, and I'll be shooting a 3-gun match with it on Saturday. I'll let you know what I think about it. Initial thoughts without shooting it are the reticle is BRIGHT and the eye relief is excellent, although I haven't used any of the other scopes referred to above.

aaron

Thanks for the ideas and will be looking for an update after the three gun match.

One of the major points I am after is a bright aiming point that can be seen in daylight and not wash out. When shooting full auto before, have had good luck with following the bright dot of the Aimpoint (ideally if I had enough rail space on the HK's would go with a X3 magnifier, but is not to be).

Received the following list of Scopes which the illuminate aiming point would still appear lighted in full daylight. The other scopes still work, but in brighter light the aiming point will appear dark (i.e. normal scope cross hair).

Meopta KDot/ZD - FOV 111 ft @ 100 yds for $850
Trijicon AccuPoint - FOV 98 ft @ 100 yds for $850
Swarovski Z6i - FOV 128 ft @ 100 yds for $2,300
Elcan Spectre DR - FOV 147 ft @ 100 yds for $1,900
IOR PitBull Gen 3 - FOV 144 ft @ 100 yds for $1,400
S&B Short Dot - FOV 96* ft @ 100 yds for $2,550
*converted from FOV 33m at 100m

And hope to look at the low power Vortex next month if all goes well.

One of the guys I used to shoot with let me know that for his Millett Tactical DMS he can not see the lighted aiming ring in daylight, thus precluding any option of using it like an Aimpoint (i.e. your eye follows the bright dot). Thus while the Millett Tactical DMS might still work great as a regular scope in daylight, can't fill in exactly like an Aimpoint.

Thanks!

I shot my new Burris Tac30 1-4x in a 3-gun Saturday, and so far I really like it. The illumination is easily visible in bright sunlight, and I had no problems engaging small targets at 250 yards, which was the longest shot of the day.

This scope replaced an EOTech w/3x magnifier. At short range the only difference I noticed was the slightly larger dot. I didn't shoot any targets at long enough range to utilize the bullet drop reticle, which was the main reason for buying this scope, but I'm confident it will be much more effective that the EOTech at 250+ yards.

Overall I like it a lot. The reticle is a little more cluttered than the EOTech, but it only took a few shots to get used to it, and it's not distracting at point blank range, just different.

I considered the Viper PST and the Super Sniper as well, but for the money this Burris suits me fine. Hope this helps.

aaron

PS I'm also using the Burris mount.