• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST vs Weaver

ls1mtz

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2010
Fort Myers, FL
Should I get the Weaver 3-15 FFP or Vortex Viper PST SFP 6-24?I know that they are both different animals being that one is a 3-15 FFP and the other is a 6-24 SFP but they both have the same price which brings me to my decision of which to get. The scope will be going on a 308 20” barrel and 20 moa base used for shooting paper with my local range having a far distance of 200 yards. I will do some hunting with it and the 6x lowest on the Viper wouldn’t bother me that much. It’s always nice to have the extra magnification incase I get the idea to try a 1000 yard range one day. The SFP on the Viper doesn’t bother me much either, what is magic number on the Viper for ranging? I’m new to distance shooting so a reticle with .2 or .5 mil marks will help me a lot for fine tuning holdovers or ranging. Basically both of these scopes are probably more than I need but I believe in the buy once and cry once. I’ve done my research on both and it seems the glass maybe marginally better on the Weaver but I only have 15x. Weaver has green and red illumination vs red. Truth is I probably won’t ever use the illumination. Viper’s transferrable warranty is better for resale. I have done research on both and am kinda leaning toward the Weaver but I don’t want to be disappointed one day down the road that I should have got more magnification. Just looking for opinions on what you would do.

Re: Vortex Viper PST vs Weaver

I had the same choice to make last month and I chose the Weaver. I decided that I could live without the zero stop, and I have not regretted the decision yet.

I absolutely love the glass. It is crisp and clear to the edge and almost completely devoid of chromatic aberrations. I have taken the rifle out at dusk, and found the scope quite usable for quite some time after sunset.

Having said all this, I would have waited for the Super Sniper 5-20X50 FFP that will soon be available for $500 off... If I'd only known about the deal.

Tough call, I have the new weaver as well. The weaver is cheaper than either model PST and as far as I can tell its built quite sturdy. +1 to gglass post, and will add it tracks like its on rails. The only thing I don't like is the reticle. While I like the open mil dots and open center crosshair the stupid ass half mil dots are so small they get lost on nearly everything but bright color backgrounds and don't offer much in the way for holdovers or ranging. Ditto with illumination. I'm actually contemplating sending it back and ordering the new SS variable because of the reticle.

Flyingbullseye

If you want to sit at a range and shoot tiny groups all day, then get the PST. If you want to sit in the field all day looking to shoot CP2/3 game then get the Weaver.

I've had both now.
grin.gif

Glass: *very* slight edge to the PST

Turrets: I prefer the feedback of the PST, but every one I've touched now has been different. HATE the sharp knurling on the top of the turrets. I like the locking feature of the Weaver turrets. In unlocked position, they don't have quite the feedback of the PST, but are decent enough.

Internal elevation: Weaver - 30 mils to 19 on the PST

Reticle - PST... simply awesome. The Weaver reticle is useable enough, but Vortex did their homework

Mechanical build/reliability - this is all pure speculation. neither has bee out their very long, but from "feel"... I'd put my money on the Weaver. .02

John

due to the wait on the PST i snatched up a weaver from midway and had a $30 off coupon.
This is my first $500+ scope. The weaver makes shooting groups (maybe shooting accuratly is a better way to say it) a breeze compared to the nikon monarch 4-16x42 i had, might be the cross hairs i don't know.
The weaver seems to track well too, I got it zeroed in 3 shots then cranked it all over the place using the mil/mil to see if i could adjust and hit different parts of the target while still aiming at the original zero hole, worked great. Then rezeroed and got a .4" 3-shot group that included the first zeroed shot.
With that said I am going to talk the wife into letting me get the SWFA SS 5-20 when the $500 off hits.
grin.gif

The weaver will go on a .223 savage that is currently in the parting together stage. I have no plans to get rid of the weaver. The Jury is still out on the weaver rings. The top ring half seems a little flimsy but is holding great so far.
IMG_20110513_180407.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to sit at a range and shoot tiny groups all day, then get the PST. If you want to sit in the field all day looking to shoot CP2/3 game then get the Weaver.</div></div>

This.

The Weaver is built like a tank. I would have no issues using it to club game if I needed to (for whatever reason).