• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo 1000 rounds before Lapua testing. Bulk or match ammo?

Interesting, silica won't act as an abrasive or polish steel?

Check the Mohs hardness scale, steel rates a 5, silica a 7, diamond a 10.

Yep the silica is blown into the rifling, much on the bottom.
Operative word...rifling...twist, remember?
So the silica ends up on the surface of the bullet,
mixed in the lube, spinning down the bore,
leaving lube and silica coating on all the rifling, right?

So silica will polish the bore, but it takes time.
Not like hand lapping by a skilled technician,
but still smooths the imperfections.

I know, mouthy, contentious, old coot. ;)

no...simply uninformed amateur.
you ever borescope a rimfire barrel with 10,000,20,000, 30,000 rounds down the pipe? No polishing.
used to be pitting......no polishing.

I use silica in my blast cabinet as a media to clean metal, so I believe it likely has an abrasive effect inside a barrel....

MB

No argument.
It presupposes that priming compound gets carried/nicely distributed throughout the barrel.
Exactly how much priming compound you think is in there Mike?
A few sharp folks have taken and analyzed combustion residue......past and present.

Are you familiar with the pasty years‘ saga of Eley priming re the horrible pitting that used to occur, even then only in about the first few inches, only @ 6 o’clock, now largely absent as a result of change in the compound.

No argument.
It presupposes that priming compound gets carried/nicely distributed throughout the barrel.
Exactly how much priming compound you think is in there Mike?
A few sharp folks have taken and analyzed combustion residue......past and present.

Are you familiar with the pasty years‘ saga of Eley priming re the horrible pitting that used to occur, even then only in about the first few inches, only @ 6 o’clock, now largely absent as a result of change in the compound.

Certainly not much and yessir, I'm familiar. Gradual (at an incredibly slow rate) erosion is a better way to describe the effect.

MB

Tim, I went digging for more than anecdotal evidence, didn't find any.
Looking specifically for documented 22lr rifling wear over time,
including images of the bore before use, and at 1000 shot intervals.
No luck. So no counterargument available.

Reactions: RAVAGE88
Certainly not much and yessir, I'm familiar. Gradual (at an incredibly slow rate) erosion is a better way to describe the effect.

MB
Tim, I went digging for more than anecdotal evidence, didn't find any.
Looking specifically for documented 22lr rifling wear over time,
including images of the bore before use, and at 1000 shot intervals.
No luck. So no counterargument available.

Well, in all honesty, I did’nt really look at it as an arguable point, simply an observation.
Cannot tell you how many dozens of threads/posts have been published about this area generally,on BR sites together with a hell of a lot of personal match barrels and a borescope.
No harm, no foul.

MB

Pretty much.
Although back 6-8 years ago the ELEY priming made the bottom of the bore look like the surface of the moon within a few bricks. Even the edges of lands looked like some miniature chisel work.
Hell of a lot of great barrels went prematurely to heaven .:eek:

Looks like we are going to do Thunder Valley on Sunday.
Unfortunately that wont work for me tomorrow. That is a 2 hour ride from my place. I do want to check it out sometime, I have never been there. What kind of yardage do you shoot there? Do you shoot from the pavilion on benches or somewhere else on the range prone?

Thank you,
Gjmen22

Unfortunately that wont work for me tomorrow. That is a 2 hour ride from my place. I do want to check it out sometime, I have never been there. What kind of yardage do you shoot there? Do you shoot from the pavilion on benches or somewhere else on the range prone?

Thank you,
Gjmen22
Couldn't tell you. This will be my first time there.

Thank you,
Gjmen22
They have steel from 100 to a thousand yards all in one direction, and more steel at 1200 and just short of one mile, from the main pavilion. That is covered and has like 20+ benches. They are spaced out enough that you can shoot prone in between them.

There is also a second smaller pavilion now that kind of looks across the first range, with steel at one mile and going out to more than 2000 yards, but last time I heard that may be limited to special events or people who have qualified to shoot those distances.

They have steel from 100 to a thousand yards all in one direction, and more steel at 1200 and just short of one mile, from the main pavilion. That is covered and has like 20+ benches. They are spaced out enough that you can shoot prone in between them.

There is also a second smaller pavilion now that kind of looks across the first range, with steel at one mile and going out to more than 2000 yards, but last time I heard that may be limited to special events or people who have qualified to shoot those distances.

Thank you for the info. I need to try and get there.

Damn where is this at? I wish we had longer than 200 yard ranges over here w/o having to drive 90min away for a closed off 1000 yard range that is only allowed to shoot once in a blue moon. Next up would be 2.5 hours and find some public land to shoot off of and hang your own steel.

Reactions: littlepod