• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Ammo?

Mine shoots SK standard the best. Lapua center X also grouped about the same...The eley works well, but there is no one answer. You will have to see exactly what it likes.

How far you want to shoot it? If just at 50 yards then most ammo will work. Mine shoots anything I put in it at 50 yards. If farther then try some different ammo as sometimes the cheaper stuff starts opening up. Mine shoots Eley Match and Edge, Lapua Center X, SK Rifle Match and Fed Ultra Match very good to 200 yards plus. SK Standard Plus opens up for me.

Try some of the SK ammos. They are usually less expensive and worth a try before moving up.

we have at least ten guys shooting SK pistol match in CZ455s...ruger 10/22s...kidd 10/22s and one vudoo and ALL of them shoot at all distances out to 300yds.

we have at least ten guys shooting SK pistol match in CZ455s...ruger 10/22s...kidd 10/22s and one vudoo and ALL of them shoot at all distances out to 300yds.
What kind of groups are you guys getting at 100 with this ammo?

With rimfire, it's not brand, but quality that is important.
Brass with dimensions that match the chamber.
Consistent primer and powder amounts,
as well as properly seated bullets having the same weight/dimensions.
Without quality
ammo producing similar muzzle velocities
there is no way to obtain consistent results,
especially at longer distances.
It's not brand, it's quality and consistent mv's that you want.
That's why I have to keep lot testing.
This month it was Lapua Polar Biathlon,
last month it was RWS R50.
It's rimfire and the production quality changes with every batch made.

What kind of groups are you guys getting at 100 with this ammo?

This was the last group I shot at 100yds and keep in mine I’m not a group shooter...

10 rounds prone off a bipod and glove this morning it was a little windy...

Attachments

• 280ADAFE-5F0C-4FC2-A999-099A32A9D458.jpeg
    280ADAFE-5F0C-4FC2-A999-099A32A9D458.jpeg
    733 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
This was my buddies vudoo at 50....

Attachments

• CD37D94D-A871-4CA3-9064-B7052ED11324.jpeg
    CD37D94D-A871-4CA3-9064-B7052ED11324.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 2F43015D-BEF3-4FDE-8DC1-329C46CE3BD1.jpeg
    2F43015D-BEF3-4FDE-8DC1-329C46CE3BD1.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 166
How far you want to shoot it? If just at 50 yards then most ammo will work. Mine shoots anything I put in it at 50 yards. If farther then try some different ammo as sometimes the cheaper stuff starts opening up. Mine shoots Eley Match and Edge, Lapua Center X, SK Rifle Match and Fed Ultra Match very good to 200 yards plus. SK Standard Plus opens up for me.

Best said right here. Same goes for me. For best accuracy I’m Lapua Midas + or Center X but SK is great for practice and dope building. Since they are all basically Lapua it makes for easy cheap->expensive ammo transitions as the need arise.

I’ve run 150 rounds of SK rifle match.

Shot some
Groups at 100 and most were around 3/4-1 Moa.

I know some of that is me as well so it should be better.

Would like to see 1/2 but I dunno if it’s worth 3x the cost for barricade practice at 100.

We’ll see! I’ve got some eley tenex and Lapua Midas to try as well.

Bryan Litz tested 50 different 22lr cartridges (50 rounds each) and calculated the standard deviation of velocity and ballistic coefficient for each. They're tabulated on pages 197-199 of his book "Modern Advancements In Long Range Shooting, Volume II". Most of the brands commonly recommended on this site are among the better performers. For rimfire shooters, those few pages are worth the price of the book ... IMHO.

Bryan Litz tested 50 different 22lr cartridges (50 rounds each) and calculated the standard deviation of velocity and ballistic coefficient for each. They're tabulated on pages 197-199 of his book "Modern Advancements In Long Range Shooting, Volume II". Most of the brands commonly recommended on this site are among the better performers. For rimfire shooters, those few pages are worth the price of the book ... IMHO.

Thanks, that was the final motivation I needed to pick up this book.

As to Vudoo ammo, so far I've run Lapua center-x, SK+, SK rifle match, RWS-50 and Eley Edge black box. Wind was horrible those days but the Eley and Center-x shot best in both sessions. I've got to get out with this rifle again soon.

The demo Vudoo .22 I tried was supplied by the manufacture with SK standard yellow box to be used when trying out the rifle.

Acceptable accuracy, but the rifle would NOT extract a live round after chambering without firing it.

Tight chambers good... but no way to unload rifle without firing it bad.

How old is that rifle? Was it cleaned? My rifle, and a few people I know who use it, extracts SK yellow box standard without an issue. That's not a chamber dimension issue.

How old is that rifle? Was it cleaned? My rifle, and a few people I know who use it, extracts SK yellow box standard without an issue. That's not a chamber dimension issue.

Unknown. It was available to demo after a NRL22 match. The extractors could not overcome whatever was sticking the round into the chamber, the bolt "seemed"(?) to be camming the bullet into the rifling, but as you had to fire it to unload it the projectiles could not be checked to see if that was what the issue was.

It was actually the second rifle that day with the same problem, the other being a custom CZ455.

Just wondering if it was one of the older rifles with a weaker extractor. The newer rifles come with heavier extractor strength.

Also if it is really dirty then it can happen as well. Not normal shooting or even standard match shooting but if that rifle had been used for multiple demo sessions it might have been in need of a cleaning.

Being unable to extract an unfired round is typical of a 22lr match chamber.
The rifling engages/engraves the bullet when chambered and the bolt closed.
The grip created by the rifling prevents extraction of the brass unless fired.
My Lilja barreled 455 with an EPS chamber acts as described.
This is normal on high end rifles.

vPeTNeioY7mssGIj84PCRZSOBXzzksz07k8Wy3BS8HVYumrVZ_qwkapL_a1yXLg2CRAU014K7v9EBlg4ww=w384-h440

This is as far as a 22lr will go when chambered without closing the bolt.

Last edited:
That is not the norm for the Vudoos but it's up to the end user to keep the chamber fairly clean. I shot a whole match of almost 150 SK Standard plus yellow box and not cleaning it and no issues so you don;t have to keep it squeeky clean but I would clean it after. All the extractors on the Vudoos now will extract any ammo from a cleaner chamber.

A comment regarding engraving from the vudoo site

https://www.vudoogunworks.com/faq/

Will the V-22 shoot any .22LR ammo? What chamber do you use?
The short answer is, yes. The V-22 RAVAGE chamber, designed by Mike Bush,
is a Super Match Grade chambering, compatible with the higher quality 22LR Match ammunition,
but will shoot non-match ammo. Some brands may not extract from the chamber if not fired
due to projectile shape. This is a short match chamber so the projectile just touches the lands.

That shouldn't correspond with the SK ammo though. The SK is made by Lapua and the Center X is what the chamber was designed for and the bullet shape and size of the SK isn't overly jammed into the lands.

I've got 183 logged rounds of various "better" ammo shot in 2 outings so far with this rifle. (SK+, SK Rifle match, Center-X, ELEY Edge, RWS-50)

I would be happy if the April Colorado winds would die down for just an hour or two, or just stay consistent from one direction, please? It's frustrating trying to get an accurate baseline

These were shot with gusting winds at 7:30 to 8:00 5-12 MPH, switching to variable gust again but from 3-4:30 at 5-12 MPH

For the amount of wind variable involved, I'm actually happy . 5 rounds per bull shot left to right at 50 yds, bag supported off cement bench. Center Bull is 1/2" diameter, standard ARA test target.

a6N87ng.jpg

7fBrZNc.jpg

Funny how the holes look more defined and less torn with the Eley black box than the others. It does that in my rifles as well. I guess due to shape of bullet and speed.

Initially, my V-22 wouldn't extract fully-chambered match ammo either, but after re-shaping the nose of the extractor in accordance with a video I received from Paul, it now extracts loaded rounds w/o fail. I fitted & chambered the Krieger blank for this rifle, using a PTG Eley EPS reamer. Might sound a little counter-intuitive, since I shoot only SK & Lapua ammo, but it seems to be a good combination, with excellent accuracy.

I've still got several boxes of Federal UM22, three different lots of it purchased from Midway about a year ago. Tried all three lots in my jelrod-converted 40X & XBs, with Benchmark 3-groove, Krieger, & Lilja titebore bbls with less than stellar results - SK Rifle & Pistol Match out-shot it by a wide margin at both 50 & 100yds. But IIRC, I've yet to try it in the V-22, due to the disappointment from shooting it in the 40Xs. I'd seen UM22 advertised at ridiculously low prices a few months ago, but that seems to have dried-up, and several places that had if for sale are now saying "out of stock". Wish I'd have found a supplier with lots other than what I'd already tried...might've found one that my rifles liked.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the SK Yellow and the 'gold' colored Magazine in the can? Is the only difference the loose bulk packaging of the Magazine type?

I've never purchased any of the bulk-packaged Std+ - didn't want to deal with bullet lube all over the cases, as would surely be the case - unless SK uses a different lube on the bulk-packed stuff.

That was a great book to get, thanks for the info. As you said, those 3 pages were worth the price, plus plenty of other good info. Re-doing my drop charts, hopefully get some range time this Saturday and see if it verifies.

Hadn't bought any of Litz's books since the purchase of the 2nd edition of his original Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting Decided it's past time to update my database, so just ordered Vol 1 & 2 of Modern Advancements In Long Range Shooting

The data that Shooter app has generated for my 40X/XB repeaters & the V-22 has been close, just not close enough to suit for matches where distances get out past 200yds. Will see if Litz's data helps 'fine tune' the app.

The data that Shooter app has generated for my 40X/XB repeaters & the V-22 has been close, just not close enough to suit for matches where distances get out past 200yds. Will see if Litz's data helps 'fine tune' the app.

Don't rely on his velocity data ... different barrel, different chamber. I used his data to find consistent ammunition without having to test everything myself. My Vudoo with a 20" barrel generates slightly higher velocities, but his ballistic coefficients have been spot on

Yes, copy that - I've got chrono data for all four of the bbls I'm using on the three rifles. Have a couple of 26" bbls (Benchmark 3-groove & Lilja Titebore) that are ~30fps slower than the 22" Kriegers I'm running. Have to put good data in to get good data out.

I shoot groups at 50 and 100 and check dope at 200 and 300. Using AB though I can't get the data to line up no matter what I do. Either it's on at 100, or it's on at 300. Playing with either velocity or BC or bith can't get things to sync up and it's frustrating.

I shoot groups at 50 and 100 and check dope at 200 and 300. Using AB though I can't get the data to line up no matter what I do. Either it's on at 100, or it's on at 300. Playing with either velocity or BC or bith can't get things to sync up and it's frustrating.

Have you done a tracking test on your scope? Dialing to 300 is like dialing to 1200 with a centerfire. A lot happening.

Also have you tried JBM?

Zero'd at 50 yds and used Litz's ballistic coefficient (for Eley Match) for a match today. Consistent hits on steel at 135,160,180, 220 and 260 today using Shooter. I'm good on paper at 25, 50 and 100. Hope to get some shots on paper at 200 and 300 in the next week or two.

Have you done a tracking test on your scope? Dialing to 300 is like dialing to 1200 with a centerfire. A lot happening.

Also have you tried JBM?

Haven't tried JBM since I've never used it and it's a new scope on the 22 (XTR II 5-25) so I haven't done a tracking test but it's not a tenth or two. AB is telling me 13.9 but I'm actually seeing 12.3. So when I adjust it for what I'm actually getting, at 100 (1.7) it's way off.

Haven't tried JBM since I've never used it and it's a new scope on the 22 (XTR II 5-25) so I haven't done a tracking test but it's not a tenth or two. AB is telling me 13.9 but I'm actually seeing 12.3. So when I adjust it for what I'm actually getting, at 100 (1.7) it's way off.

Scopes can be that far off. I had two USOs that when I dialed 10 mils of elevation I got around 11.3 mils of actual movement. Test the scope to take one variable out of the mix.

Try JBM and see what it says. I have used it for my .22s with multiple ammo types and it's always very close if not right on even out past 300.
http://jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_simp-5.1.cgi

What bullet and velocity you using?

CCI Green Tag at 1074. I also use Norma Match at 1102, same issue. Magnetospeed was used, 10 rd samples.

Just ran the Norma Match and JBM says 13.5 mils to 300. I would run a tracking test on the scope.

What are you using for the ballistic coefficient? Litz measured CCI Green Tag at 0.128.

JBM lists Norma 40grn in their library and has it at .132 for the BC.

I don't know what Norma was at 300, only shot Green Tag out to that distance. At 200 yards they were both 7.3 mils though. At 100 GT was 1.7 and Norma was 2.0. I've got the SH tracking targets but no way to secure the rifle without it moving for now. I'll have to devise something since I don't want to actually shoot it.

Just ran the Norma Match and JBM says 13.5 mils to 300. I would run a tracking test on the scope.

I just put in my data with a speed of 1102 for Norma match and getting 12.9 mil and not your 13.5 mils at 300. What are we doing different?

I just put in my data with a speed of 1102 for Norma match and getting 12.9 mil and not your 13.5 mils at 300. What are we doing different?

I used the rifle and environmentals I had in there from the last time I ran numbers with Norma from the library so that could make a difference.
2" scope height
50 yard zero
29.98 barometric pressure
60 degrees
350feet elevation
50% humidity

Not trying to hijack the thread, but what target are you talking about to test the scope?

I make my own with cardboard and a 1/10th inch ruler.

I use a 4ft level and mark every 3.6” on the vertical. I’ll usually also do a line 3.6 to the left and to the right, just to check windage for shits and giggles. I always just hold for wind.

Then I take a 300ft tape and make sure I’m shooting at 100yds.

Always aim at the bottom cross line. Adjust 1 mil up per shot. Make sure you are resetting your cant and parallax each shot as you are running the turret up.