• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Build Question

ehaleyjr86

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
Centerburg, Ohio
I am torn about what I want to do. I am between buying a complete Vudoo or buying a barreled action and putting it together myself. I already have a spare TriggerTech for it. I'm curious what everyone else has done and why.

I am torn about what I want to do. I am between buying a complete Vudoo or buying a barreled action and putting it together myself. I already have a spare TriggerTech for it. I'm curious what everyone else has done and why.

I had a chassis already, bought it used from the PX. I bought my trigger used too.

Ordered the barreled action and screwed things in. Less than 5min and you're done.

Though to be fair, my trigger pins were super tight and I had issues getting them in, I think the cerakote probably got in the holes and super tight tolerances. I had to clear out the holes a bit to get the trigger in.

Reactions: ehaleyjr86
I went B/A ... had a Manners in hand with the mini chassis along with a TT trigger and was good to go. It's all about what stock/chassis you want/like. Prices on finished rifles from Vudoo are very competitive to what you would pay for the components so that's a wash. Sometimes it's easier to spend less money on the various pieces over time than the big chunk all at once. I don't think the results (accuracy) are impacted either way.

I bought mine complete from MH. I didn’t have a chassis on hand. MH put it together with the chassis, trigger and glass I wanted.

I also went with just the BA and installed a TriggerTech Diamond that I had on hand along with a new MDT ACC chassis. This is generally the route I have been taking recently so that I can get the exact setup that I am looking for along with the pride and joy of doing the final assembly.

I also had a challenging time getting the trigger pins installed due to the cerakoted action, but did not have to remove any material prior to punching the pins through.

Cost / avaiability / wait time has been my driver on my 2 Vudoo builds.

I just did a BA. Added my own MPA and trigger. If you bolt your own together, the biggest issue you might run into is mag latch height. A lot of Vudoo shooters have experienced feeding issues from what they attribute to a loose magwell. When they push the mag into a bag while shooting it can tilt the mag forward and misalign the feed angle. But if your latch pushes the mag all the way up bottom or forward pressure won't change your mag attitude. This is where MPA's adjustable height mag latch shines.
Good morning Reubenski; I am very intrigued by your statement, "This is where MPA's adjustable height mag latch shines." I assume you are talking about the MPA BA Competition Chassis for Remington 700 Short Action. Can you tell me how their Mag Latch is Adjustable? In what ways is it adjustable? How is it done?

I am debating whether to put my Vudoo in a MPA Chassis. This would totally push me over the edge...

Thank you for your thoughts.
4Certain

Good morning. Here's a link to their website with a product video.
Great! Thank you!
4Certain

Good morning Reubenski; I am very intrigued by your statement, "This is where MPA's adjustable height mag latch shines." I assume you are talking about the MPA BA Competition Chassis for Remington 700 Short Action. Can you tell me how their Mag Latch is Adjustable? In what ways is it adjustable? How is it done?

I am debating whether to put my Vudoo in a MPA Chassis. This would totally push me over the edge...

Thank you for your thoughts.
4Certain
Here's a close-up of the adjustable latch. I had an occasional failure to feed the last round in a magazine. Once installed, it took maybe 2 minutes to tinker with and adjust the latch. Haven't touched it since and haven't had a last-round failure to feed since.
62264D3F-2B71-4714-A064-E85F38AF3D32_1_105_c.jpeg

This is genius. I really don't know why other stock and chassis manufacturers don't make an adjustable version of their mag latches. Or at the very least an oversized version that can be purchased so users can fit for their individual needs.
Absolutely. I have had my Vudoo since Nov 2018. My only issues have been mag feeding. The Aluminum ones work better than the plastic, so far. I have the Grayboe Ridgeback stock on mine. Very nice stiff stock. But was considering the MPA due to the grip with the thumb rest. I stuck my mags in a friend's MPA and seemed to be OK. But having this adjustment option is a game changer. Very nice indeed. Thank you for your input.
4Certain

Absolutely. I have had my Vudoo since Nov 2018. My only issues have been mag feeding. The Aluminum ones work better than the plastic, so far. I have the Grayboe Ridgeback stock on mine. Very nice stiff stock. But was considering the MPA due to the grip with the thumb rest. I stuck my mags in a friend's MPA and seemed to be OK. But having this adjustment option is a game changer. Very nice indeed. Thank you for your input.
4Certain
I love my MPA-chassis'ed Vudoo (I've posted this photo a couple of times in the V22 forum). With that said, imo the adjustable latch is a necessity. I have a buddy who have the exact same setup as mine. When I was having the problem, I found that my mags would feed perfectly in his rifle and his would fail in mine.

Not surprised that you find the aluminum mags are different (for better or worse) than the polymer ones. With my rifle adjusted for the latter, the former are a small fraction of a millimeter tight. The aluminum ones feed ok but, were I to use them exclusively, I would loosen the latch an almost imperceptible amount. Keep in mind the polymer mags have seen a lotta'rounds through them while the alum-ium ones are new.
B1087BA5-C3D5-4216-9E1A-87774BA3CFAE_1_105_c.jpeg

My only issues have been mag feeding. The Aluminum ones work better than the plastic, so far.

When I got a 5-round billet mag early on before the 10's started shipping, it wouldn't lock up in my MPA BA Comp, which I used the long action mag catch in order for the rounds to not hang up when pressure exerted on polymer mags when jammed on barricade.

I compared side by side and noticed that on the billet mags, the magazine catch bump is just a smidge higher on the body with respect to the top of the magazine. I ended up having to swap out to the adjustable mag catch and fine tuned it to work with the billet, but I also ended up reinstalling the magazine catch plastic spacer. I was using that at first in the BA Comp, but it kept falling out even with Super Glue. This time around I used Gorilla Glue and it's staying put. No issues with both billet and polymer.

I love my MPA-chassis'ed Vudoo (I've posted this photo a couple of times in the V22 forum). With that said, imo the adjustable latch is a necessity. I have a buddy who have the exact same setup as mine. When I was having the problem, I found that my mags would feed perfectly in his rifle and his would fail in mine.

Not surprised that you find the aluminum mags are different (for better or worse) than the polymer ones. With my rifle adjusted for the latter, the former are a small fraction of a millimeter tight. The aluminum ones feed ok but, were I to use them exclusively, I would loosen the latch an almost imperceptible amount. Keep in mind the polymer mags have seen a lotta'rounds through them while the alum-ium ones are new.
View attachment 7369423
Very NICE! We have similar tastes. I am ordering a blue MPA this morning...
Yes, the polymer mags are much looser in my stock than the metal. I have to use a piece of Loop Velcro pad to make them sit right. It is not needed on the Aluminum ones. Hope they fit OK in the chassis. They did in my friend's... Have you used the quick release on the Buttstock Riser? Seems like a good idea. https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-quick-release-cheek-riser-system/
Thanks for your thoughts.
4Certain

I have pieced together two of them for my son and I over the course of a few months, this allowed me to space out the capital outlay a little bit and get exactly what I wanted, nearly new, some discounts being used. Saved close to 1K over the two builds just waiting and watching for deals as they showed up.

You guys are not helping my wallet at this point, I like taking pride in putting something together myself and this may be the right route for me to go.

I may have gone the "build my own" route, but when I went on their website last year to spec out barreled actions I happened to notice they had a rifle ready to go that was built on a Cadex Lite chassis. I already owned two other Cadex rifles and loved the idea of having a Vudoo built on their platform. Long story short, I bought the one on the website and had it in three days. Couldn't be happier!

As a general rule, I'm always a little more confident buying a complete rifle from any manufacturer with the understanding that if various components are not working and playing together nicely that's on them to fix it and make it right.

I pieced mine together as MHSA had a proof BA in stock when I went. Bought a set of drifts, a hammer, and away I went putting the BA together with a TT diamond and then dropping it into 5 different chassis’s over the last few months.

View attachment 7369423
Downhill, my Vudoo is now in a Blue MPA Chassis as well. Very nice piece of equipment. I have played with the height of the mag catch. I think I finally have it close to right. Greg at Vudoo says the mag needs to be TIGHT up against the bottom of the action. Mine had too much Viggaldy. It is tight now. Next match should tell the tale. Works good shucking rounds in and out on my desk at home... But that is not the same as a match... The adjustable Mag catch is indeed Golden. I would not have bought the stock without it. I do appreciate your assistance and input in the effort. 4Certain

Ehaleyjr86; I bought mine as a stocked rifle all ready to go. I did not like the trigger so I changed to a Bix n Andy TacSport Pro 2 Stage. I ended up liking the MPA Competition Chassis and moving my action to that. No issues in moving. Like the Chassis. I do REALLY like that it has an adjustable mag catch so I can make sure my mags are sitting High and Tight against the underside of the Action... So I bought mine one way and changed it....It is good either way!! Love the Vudoo! 4Certain

I also went with just the BA and installed a TriggerTech Diamond that I had on hand along with a new MDT ACC chassis. This is generally the route I have been taking recently so that I can get the exact setup that I am looking for along with the pride and joy of doing the final assembly.

I also had a challenging time getting the trigger pins installed due to the cerakoted action, but did not have to remove any material prior to punching the pins through.
Any issues with feeding with the ACC?

Any issues with feeding with the ACC?
No feeding issues with the ACC using the 10rd plastic mags. The mags lock up tight and feed smoothly into the chamber as designed. I haven't gotten my hands on the billet mags yet to give them a try, but I am planning on picking up at least the 15rd.

No feeding issues with the ACC using the 10rd plastic mags. The mags lock up tight and feed smoothly into the chamber as designed. I haven't gotten my hands on the billet mags yet to give them a try, but I am planning on picking up at least the 15rd.
Awesome...I have my ACC, trigger, scope and rings, and 3 mags. Barreled action is supposed to be here on the 10th! I’ve been searching high and low on if anyone was having mag issues with the mdt...but seeing as most are running MPA, info is hard to find.

Awesome...I have my ACC, trigger, scope and rings, and 3 mags. Barreled action is supposed to be here on the 10th! I’ve been searching high and low on if anyone was having mag issues with the mdt...but seeing as most are running MPA, info is hard to find.
Depending on your barrel contour (assuming you are getting at least a 20"), you may need to run some forend weights as the ACC is quite heavy in the rear. On mine with a 22" MTU, I am running all 5 internal weights and balancing right in front of the magwell, but could have easily stopped at 4 weights. Not running any of the external weights.

Depending on your barrel contour (assuming you are getting at least a 20"), you may need to run some forend weights as the ACC is quite heavy in the rear. On mine with a 22" MTU, I am running all 5 internal weights and balancing right in front of the magwell, but could have easily stopped at 4 weights. Not running any of the external weights.
They are on the short list, internals and one set of external. 20” mtu and going to run a dead air mask as well at atlas psr.

Exchange the rear butt plate for the aluminum version in the ESS butt plate. Don't run a heavy bag rider. This is an 18" Kukri with 3 weights internal. Though after having to do some NRL22 offhand stages I've lightened up the rifle. Dropped down to a 28oz scope, and removed all internal weights.

1596593363852.png

Exchange the rear butt plate for the aluminum version in the ESS butt plate. Don't run a heavy bag rider. This is an 18" Kukri with 3 weights internal. Though after having to do some NRL22 offhand stages I've lightened up the rifle. Dropped down to a 28oz scope, and removed all internal weights.

View attachment 7391439
Are you the one who cut a few inches off the chassis? I believe I’ve seen this on the Vudoo group on FB. Good looking rifle!

Are you the one who cut a few inches off the chassis? I believe I’ve seen this on the Vudoo group on FB. Good looking rifle!

Yeh I cut off a few inches off the front so I could run an 18" and have it look okay. In retrospect I'd been fine just getting a 20-22" and leaving the MDT at full size. 18" is pretty nice and mobile though.

I actually tore down my .223 trainer to build my Vudoo. It sits in an XLR Carbon chassis and sports a Jewel trigger. Below is a picture of the setup. I’ve only had issues feeding CCI SV ammo but have since switched to SK, and all feeding issues have gone away. The rifle now wears a S&B PMII 5-25. It’s my favorite rifle and gets shot often.

Lou

Attachments

• 172410F5-A047-4A19-9913-042D279232C0.jpeg
    172410F5-A047-4A19-9913-042D279232C0.jpeg
    873 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: Krob95