• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo rebarreled with 1.2" straight

Tried testing 10 or so new lots of R50 today in my Bartlein/RimX @ 200yd. I shot the first groups with RWS Special Match and it hadnt started raining yet. I was hoping I could beat the rain since it was so calm.. 3-5mph wind....

Well, only that first zeroing and 10shot group of Special Match it was dry. It then started to downpour. I shot every single target below in a complete downpour. I was blown away I was able to hold these tight 10 shot groups @ 200yds in a complete freaking downpour. hahahah. Ill have to continue my testing another day with the rest of the lots... It was coming down so hard I had to call it quits...

But damn, that 1 lot of R50 in complete downpour held 10 shots 200yd sub 1.5"!

Can you explain why rimfire br is dominated by button barrels? Haven't heard of anyone using a cut rifled barrel for a long time. Is there a reason behind this? or is it monkey see monkey do thing?

Funny you bring that up. I have guys tell me all these different barrels Im shooting and testing extensively at all different distances from 50-400yd dont stack up with Shilen and MW barrels. And the only answer I can get is... go check what the top 22LR Rimfire BR shooters are using.. and Shilen and MW dominate with a few Benchmark's sprinkled in....

Ive never been one to believe what someone is telling me. Talk is cheap. I need real data and thats been my driving force behind all the RimX barrel testing Ive done and the amount of money Ive spent on it.

I have a Shilen 4 groove taper lapped 1.2" blank getting done right now with a MW 8 groove MI right behind it. Im telling you right now, they better blow me away and show my night and day results better than what Im seeing from all these different barrels.

My opinion, years and years of BR shooters praising what everyone has BEEN using and new shooters being told thats what they need to use. My testing says they are not the only game in town that can compete....

Can you explain why rimfire br is dominated by button barrels? Haven't heard of anyone using a cut rifled barrel for a long time. Is there a reason behind this? or is it monkey see monkey do thing?
Monkey see monkey do!

We don’t push one type of shooting discipline over another etc…

Our RF barrels…. You might find another brand as good but not better.

About 12 years ago in Europe around 20 different makes of barrels were tested for I think it was Norways Olympic team by Norma. Anschutz for example came in like 10th place during testing. Ours tied for 1st place. They only didn’t go with us because of shipping costs and export/import fees.

Look up Grunig & Elmiger. Their small bore match rifles are like $7k starting without sights. I believe out of Austria or Swiss. They bought 20 barrels for testing like 10 years ago. They even sent two rifles to Eley for testing as well. They compared them to Lilja, Shilen etc…our barrels were the most consistent from one to the next and no others could out shoot them. Now we make a run of about 250 a year for them.

Look back just 20 years ago. Button barrels ruled short range BR. Now it’s Bartleins and Kriegers and has been for the last 20 years +.

The caliber or shooting discipline doesn’t matter when it comes to barrels. What is important is bore and groove uniformity over the length of the barrel, uniformity of twist, the more stress free and the straighter the barrel the more forgiving it’s going to be regardless of how it’s made but all of these things are more with cut barrels. Others are not as consistent.

Last edited:
When you talk to ANY of the guys in the benchrest game you will get that "well Tony Boyer shot this and I need to as well". You will hear this enough that it will make you puke. Look at the PRS game right now, you have the top level guys shooting a new round.....guess what EVERYONE is asking for now...... a rifle built with the new caliber, new round, new blah blah blah.

This is why you need to pick a sponsored shooter well, as they will be able to drive hundreds of thousands of dollars to your brand. With nothing more than people THINKING they need the newest and best thing because so and so shoots it.

I love my Bartlein barrel on my RimX and when talking to the guys at the shop they are top notch. Go with a good barrel and you wont be disappointed.

Well I managed to get out this evening for the initial shooting session. It took a few to get it shooting assuming it just needed to season a bit and smooth any rough edges but it looks like it might be a shooter. The winds were a bit tricky and the mirage was nasty so I kept it at 50
And 100. Here are a few groups that finished off the evening.
85130390-16A6-42A3-97CF-32BF6D261CE6.jpeg
279FF4EE-648F-4EAC-AD51-139507E2225D.jpeg
2A86FDBD-A3AC-403C-9C85-039311691B18.jpeg
1D2FE68B-4031-4AF0-9532-CE1D15AA6872.jpeg
042FF12C-3933-46F3-A6CC-C10C1123C9D7.jpeg
7A10F9C4-2A71-40B8-832F-EBA888F0FC8A.jpeg
1A0724D7-2CF8-4951-9B5C-4B4D99BD33BB.jpeg

Last edited:
When you talk to ANY of the guys in the benchrest game you will get that "well Tony Boyer shot this and I need to as well". You will hear this enough that it will make you puke. Look at the PRS game right now, you have the top level guys shooting a new round.....guess what EVERYONE is asking for now...... a rifle built with the new caliber, new round, new blah blah blah.

This is why you need to pick a sponsored shooter well, as they will be able to drive hundreds of thousands of dollars to your brand. With nothing more than people THINKING they need the newest and best thing because so and so shoots it.

I love my Bartlein barrel on my RimX and when talking to the guys at the shop they are top notch. Go with a good barrel and you wont be disappointed.
Tony also goes thru a minimum of 30 barrels and I've heard north of 75 in a year. This is what my gunsmith tells me who shoots against him in BR matches. I am willing to bet the % of barrels that he keeps and uses that are "acceptable" by his standards is very small and 95% of the rest of the barrels he rejects would make any one of us happy.

Well I cleaned the barrel and reset the tuner to 0. Brought it out this morning, fired a fouler group then shot a 10 shot group with the tuner zeroed out followed by spinning it back to the tuned setting from the first outing. Unfortunately winds were high so didn’t bother with going any longer.

45CDC11D-1324-4662-A4B6-7D31F98DC3D5.jpeg
20A317F4-4109-4F34-8FA4-98D0F6D60F9C.jpeg
A231E169-1233-49C7-AEFD-256148A78E38.jpeg
7F125D2B-C63E-4AFB-87E0-E26B85846B38.jpeg

Well I cleaned the barrel and reset the tuner to 0. Brought it out this morning, fired a fouler group then shot a 10 shot group with the tuner zeroed out followed by spinning it back to the tuned setting from the first outing. Unfortunately winds were high so didn’t bother with going any longer.

View attachment 8203897View attachment 8203896View attachment 8203898View attachment 8203899
Naw...Man!!! Something's not right!!!

Tuners don't work and are definitely not repeatable!! ;) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Nice shooting. (y)

I'm new to the 22lr game also...the guys I shoot with do not clean their 22lr barrels. When their groups start to open up they use a carbon remover on a bore mop in the chamber and then drag a dry patch through the barrel. I'm still breaking in a couple barrels, but this seems to work.

Hope this helps

I'm new to the 22lr game also...the guys I shoot with do not clean their 22lr barrels. When their groups start to open up they use a carbon remover on a bore mop in the chamber and then drag a dry patch through the barrel. I'm still breaking in a couple barrels, but this seems to work.

Hope this helps

For most of my barrels I clean the chamber every time I use it and the barrels only when needed which could be a few hundred or a few thousand depending as every barrel Is different. My back up rig, which I’ve shot majority of this season prefers to be scrubbed clean everytime so it gets a complete clean every use and for sure before every match. You don’t know as each barrel is different and I’m sure to test both to see what produces the best and most consistent results. After a deep clean on this barrel it obviously shot well which isn’t to say it’s what I’ll be doing but you have to start somewhere. I put an additional few hundred through it and I gave it another deep clean tn. I will be shooting all week long. I will then let it build up with only cleaning the chamber and pushing a patch through to knock out all the excess and see what happens. Whatever produces better results will be what I’ll do for my upcoming match this weekend.