• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo & RimX FTE‘s due to Magazine fit?

Schütze

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2018
I‘ve a RimX and a new Vudoo 3/60, both bought as barreled action. Both have failures to eject intermittent. The Vudoo more often than the RimX. I finally figured out the cause of it. The fired case gets half way extracted and hits the corner of the mag feed lips getting released before reaching the ejector and blocks the bolt from loading the next round, laying usually backwards in the breach area.

None of this is the action manufacturer‘s fault, I‘ve chosen the chassis to install them in.

I switched for and back between an oryx, mdt acc and my new vision chassis. Same issues in all of them due to „sloppy“ to loose mag fitting.
If I adjust the the mag a little lower they don‘t feed correct.
On the Vudoo it happens every other mag, on the RimX about every 5 - 8 mags or so. I started shooting matches and needles to say would like them to work reliable.

What are my options to archive this?
Rounding the corners of the feed lips, or is there some plastic tape that could be used to fit the mags better in the mag well?
Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

RimX, magazine can be touching the action, as long as the magazine release works. I would try shimming the mag well before filing on the magazine.
RimX & Vudoo both work very well in an AICS.
IMG_8178.jpeg
IMG_8179.jpeg

I wish I would have known, would have gotten AICS from the start lol

Would you know of the easiest material to work with for shimming the mag wells?

The only feeding issues I have seen with a RimX is when the mag well has too much play forward and back. Once you take that out it goes away. I have never hand any issues with mine but a buddy did and he put tape in his magwell and they all went away. I make my mag catch as snug as possible.

Reactions: Schütze
I see the main issue being the side to side play and the angle front to back, it seems to me in front the mag needs to be all the way up and slightly more down in the back so the rim clears the feed lips all the time on the way back?

I have multiple acc and never had an ejection issue. I never had to adjust the stock mag latch either. If every chassis is causing the problem with your vudoo then maybe it's an action issue or maybe you're installing the action slightly canted. The way @RAVAGE88 explained it before tightening the action down put a mag in and make sure it's centered then tighten it.

Would you share where I could get this new AI - X CS ?
ATX-AICS just have to get in line with the rest of us:) My brother Scott visited Easter weekend with the prototype in the pic. The Bergera in the Black AXSR SA chassis ran great also.
Accuracy International developed the AICS and magazines, and maintain a very high level of quality control.
The rest have reverse engineered whatever they have, and have various issues.
My TSCustoms RimX in a McMillan stock with Surgeon bottom metal runs flawlessly

I'd try some nylon or other hard plastic for shimming up your magazine well. Good Luck

Last edited:
I have multiple acc and never had an ejection issue. I never had to adjust the stock mag latch either. If every chassis is causing the problem with your vudoo then maybe it's an action issue or maybe you're installing the action slightly canted. The way @RAVAGE88 explained it before tightening the action down put a mag in and make sure it's centered then tighten it.
I have to correct myself, everything I discovered just explains the fte‘s on the RimX, why the Vudoo does have issues I don’t know yet. I inspected it again the last hour and noticed that the Vudoo bolt has a precise cut out to center the magazine, so the issue must be something different. Sorry about that. I just assumed it’s the same cause because of the same result but its not. I’ll call Vudoo this week for advice, thank you.

I have to correct myself, everything I discovered just explains the fte‘s on the RimX, why the Vudoo does have issues I don’t know yet. I inspected it again the last hour and noticed that the Vudoo bolt has a precise cut out to center the magazine, so the issue must be something different. Sorry about that. I just assumed it’s the same cause because of the same result but its not. I’ll call Vudoo this week for advice, thank you.

Yeh Vudoo will help you out. Not sure if this helps or not but -

Ok, the rifles arrived that I’ve been waiting for so I could dive into the details to share more info for the Proper Rifle Setup series. Instead of what I thought I’d find on the repeater, I found the same stuff I’ve been seeing when barreled actions are installed into the owners chassis or stock. You guessed it, the barreled action was positioned slightly forward in the @mdttac21 chassis and torqued in place.

As many of you have likely heard me say in various videos or read what I’ve written in various places, rimfire is tons more complex than centerfire. So, what is a very small functional detail for a centerfire is quite gargantuan for rimfire. When I watched the featured rifle in this post feed, I observed the loaded round jump prematurely out of the magazine, ahead and on top of the extractors. What I should’ve seen was the round, in a controlled and orchestrated manner, gracefully transition from the magazine feed lips to the bolt face with a slight period of overlap. When this happens in the @vudoogunworks system, the lead bullet never touches anything, it perfectly enters the chamber without damage.

So, I leveled the rifle on my @rrssoar tripod, loosened the action bolts and pulled rearward on the barreled action with the chassis fixed in place. The barreled action moved rearward nearly .125” until the back-face of the recoil lug contacted the seating face in the lug pocket of the chassis. At this point, I loosened the Anvil 30 ball-head and rotated the rifle muzzle up so the surfaces remained in contact, inserted a magazine to properly align the port in the receiver to the mag well in the chassis and torqued the action bolts to 65 inch pounds starting with the front bolt, then the rear.

Very sorry, not a sexy resolution, but certainly validates what I’ve been saying about paying attention to the small details. Once I completed this, the entire feed process changed and the rifle is rock solid. This troubleshooting process can easily be performed by the end user. The owner of this rifle shipped three magazines so I revised his followers to improve the feel of the rifle during the feed process.

...everything I discovered just explains the fte‘s on the RimX, why the Vudoo does have issues I don’t know yet.
What ammo? Lapua and SK rounds will usually extract from a Vudoo, but some brands - especially CCI SV - jam into the lands hard enough that the extractor can't pull the round loose.

If the Vudoo is new, give it several hundred rounds to loosen up. Keeping the chamber clean during the breakin will help.

Again, this is for extraction issues. If a fired or unfired round successfully extracts with normal bolt operation, it's gonna eject.

What ammo? Lapua and SK rounds will usually extract from a Vudoo, but some brands - especially CCI SV - jam into the lands hard enough that the extractor can't pull the round loose.

If the Vudoo is new, give it several hundred rounds to loosen up. Keeping the chamber clean during the breakin will help.

Again, this is for extraction issues. If a fired or unfired round successfully extracts with normal bolt operation, it's gonna eject.
Only ammo used was SK+ from 3 different lots about 400 rd since new.. No reason yet to use Center X, I only have 2 bricks reserved for matches.

The vudoo extracts all the time, not one shell stuck in the chamber. It will not eject intermittent, shell laying loose in the breach.
Bolt head, extractor, tensioner clean, lubed and moving freely.

When it first happened my thought's where I'm short stroking the bolt because it's slightly binding. But at the last 10 mags or so I changed to just opening and pulling the bolt back and checking for the shell getting ejected. Still happening intermittent.

Ejector / screw are tight. Again it extracts but does not eject.

Again it extracts but does not eject.
Definitely weird. Hard for me to imagine how a properly-extracted case doesn't eject, but I've experienced some pretty unusual things like this over the years myself.

Try setting up your cellphone and rifle in a manner which allows taking slow-motion video of the extraction/ejection cycle.

I have a 6.5CM rifle which, when I first put it together, would "fail to eject" about one round out of every half dozen. Slow-motion video immediately revealed the cause: the mouth of the ejecting case was hitting the windage turret on the scope, bouncing the case right back into the breech. I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it. I moved the scope a bit and haven't experienced a problem since.

Good luck. If you can't figure out what's going on, Vudoo will look after you. Of course, it's annoying to have to go through the exercise, but comforting to know they'll have your back.

Only ammo used was SK+ from 3 different lots about 400 rd since new.. No reason yet to use Center X, I only have 2 bricks reserved for matches.

The vudoo extracts all the time, not one shell stuck in the chamber. It will not eject intermittent, shell laying loose in the breach.
Bolt head, extractor, tensioner clean, lubed and moving freely.

When it first happened my thought's where I'm short stroking the bolt because it's slightly binding. But at the last 10 mags or so I changed to just opening and pulling the bolt back and checking for the shell getting ejected. Still happening intermittent.

Ejector / screw are tight. Again it extracts but does not eject.
Call Zermatt, they are more than helpful

Call Zermatt, they are more than helpful
The rimx I thing I've figured out, I'll adjust the side to side play of the mags by using aluminum tape in the mag well. I just ordered some stronger better quality one. This should take care of it. It did not happen that often anyway, this last Saturday I shoot about 200rd's before it did it. But in the last 2 matches it happened on 2 stages each. Most likely had some side pressure on the mag due to position. I'm just glad I could duplicate it at home on the work bench and clearly see the cause.

For the vudoo I'll need to call them.

Thank you guys !

Reactions: Criver600
Are you running the bolt on the Vudoo or just easing it back? I have had zero issues with my new 360 when running the bolt fast but I have once or twice when I’m shooting groups and just running the bolt slow.

Fast

I just got of the phone with a very nice gentleman at Vudoo, he thinks there is an extractor issue and I did offer him to have send me the parts and install them and go from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBeck