• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes VX5 hd, NF SHV, or Razor LHT?

athanasios23

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2009
New York, USA
So I'm in the market for a new hunting scope. Budget will be under $1000. The scopes listed in the title are what I'm looking at. This will be a rifle I use for deer sized game under 300 yards. Hope to get peoples input who have used these scopes. All will be in the 3x range.

NF shv 3-10x42 illuminated forceplex
LUEPOLD VX5HD 3-15x44 Fire dot
VORTEX RAZOR LHT 3-15x42

Last edited:
I've had or have the vx5hd 3-15x44 and the NF SHV 4-14 FFP but not the LHT. For deer hunting 95% and 5% range go with the vx5. Glass is great, the amount of dialing you'll actually do for hunting to 300 yards or the couple range trips a year, the tracking will be fine, and it's light weight. SHV is a nice scope but not what I'd buy again for a hunting rifle especially 300yd's and in.

The LHT looks very interesting though because the reticle will take care of probably 99.9% of your shots without dialing. I guess the vx5hd with the moa reticle could do that too though and I think there is a mil reticle coming out. At that point it's probably a toss up and I'd just go with Leupold again because I like the looks of it more than the vortex.

It would be our pleasure to discuss this with you

Thanks Doug, I was actually in the store a few months back discussing it with Neil. Unfortunately he didn't have a vx5 hd or SHV demo to play with. Are you guys selling vortex optics again?

jwhjwh54

Thanks for you experience with those scopes. It will be like you mentioned 95% hunting and 5% range.

What I want to know is if the Vortex LHT central illuminated dot is as bright as Leupold's Firedot in, say, a VX5/6HD.

Reactions: JS8588
I have the vx5 and an shv both on hunting rifles and the vx5 is better imo. Also seen some lately on gun broker for under $800

I should clarify that I also like my shv there both great in that price range.

The 3-15’s would give you more magnification if later on you decided you wanted it. Out of those two I would go with whichever one you can get the best deal on because they will both easily do what your asking of them.

I just ordered another vx5hd for my hunting rifle and moving the nx8 that’s was on it to a 90% range 10% gun.

3FA7FCA6-D005-4749-811D-297123FCCA1B.jpeg

I put a VX5HD on my 300wsm. Whole package is 8lb 3oz. Fantastic optic. Glass better than my Mark 4s

Without having seen the Razor, the feature set, mil reticle, and illuminated dot, make it a very desirable optic for me in the future.

Thank you for letting us know, I really appreciate that.

Could you give me an idea of the brightness differences between the two?
I know they’re not the clearest of images, but the vx5hd Ret is crisp, daylight bright and there is no red flaring.
the lht at max brightness, although daylight bright, flares and washes out the Ret in red light.
I am really disappointed in the LHT. I am waiting to hear back from Vortex. If it’s a dud, I’d like to know.
my SHV with comparable magnification is non illuminated.
295B6D2E-3E74-4DF1-8916-83BCBD147752.jpeg
97BFC028-227F-49B0-8182-C20D30827CEC.jpeg

The only things that frustrates me with the VX5HD/VX6HD is the lack of mil/mil illuminated reticles, it's always either one or the other. Why is there still no sub 20 oz 2-10 or 2-12 with the 0.1 mil cds-zl2 turret and a good TMR illuminated.
There was a special batch of 3-18x44 on opticsplanet I think 1.5 year ago but that's it. You'd think Leupold would want to promote those as an alternative to the dated and expensive Nightforce 2.5-10x32/42.
It seems that for 2020 Leupold is offering the HTMR for the VX5HD but no illum.

And just to rob salt in the wound...
I just took these.
235yards. Max power and brightness, minim power and brightness.
notice the wash out on max and the lack of edge to edge clarity. Definitely a miss on the part of the big V.
9C9A7421-1CD0-4B36-B93C-C700EC2CA71D.jpeg
928BE3A6-A374-4C19-9C39-47DCBBD76196.jpeg

Reactions: DubfromGA
Really appreciate all the feedback. I'll be honest that I did not expect Leupold to get so much love. I have been happy with there products so far but have never spent a lot on a lupy. I think the vx5 will get the nod as it was the scope I was leaning towards. I do prefer mil scopee but with the application I intend to use it for. I should be OK.

Reactions: HolyCity73
I know they’re not the clearest of images, but the vx5hd Ret is crisp, daylight bright and there is no red flaring.
the lht at max brightness, although daylight bright, flares and washes out the Ret in red light.
I am really disappointed in the LHT. I am waiting to hear back from Vortex. If it’s a dud, I’d like to know.
my SHV with comparable magnification is non illuminated. View attachment 7311520View attachment 7311521
Thanks! I have a Vortex g4i version on order…so I’m a little concerned. I’m also a big Leupold AND Vortex fan, so no bias here.

However, on your first set of pics the blob of the Vortex is obvious, yet the second set looks fine (to me). Perhaps it is the resolution of the pic or the fact that the red dot is on a red stop sign?

Btw side note: I also get the red circle on the outer edges of the eyepiece on my 3-18x44 Leupold Vx6hd when I am at 3x max power illumination (impact 29 reticle).

@HolyCity73
What if you turn down the illumination. Does it still bleed. I doubt the scope is supposed to be used as a red dot. When set with a faint glow in low light is there an issue? A bright dot in low light sucks anyway. If it doesn’t work well in that scenario then that’s a problem.

I have have one of the new scopes myself and it does as you said on the brightest settings but those are never used in a low light shot. The dimmest glow that the dot can be seen is best. I actually think the lowest setting is a little too bright. I don’t see myself ever taking it off that one the few times I may actually use illumination.

Last edited:
@HolyCity73
What if you turn down the illumination. Does it still bleed. I doubt the scope is supposed to be used as a red dot. When set with a faint glow in low light is there an issue? A bright dot in low light sucks anyway. If it doesn’t work well in that scenario then that’s a problem.

I have have one of the new scopes myself and it does as you said on the brightest settings but those are never used in a low light shot. The dimmest glow that the dot can be seen is best. I actually think the lowest setting is a little too bright. I don’t see myself ever taking it off that one the few times I may actually use illumination.
It diminishes around half power. Not a huge deal to me, primarily because I hunt illuminates at the lowest rating. What I can say is that my VX5/6hds don’t donut at all.
the edge to edge image resolution is my single biggest complaint. Its not what I expect from a product with Razor in its package.

Reactions: Earnhardt
Thanks! I have a Vortex g4i version on order…so I’m a little concerned. I’m also a big Leupold AND Vortex fan, so no bias here.

However, on your first set of pics the blob of the Vortex is obvious, yet the second set looks fine (to me). Perhaps it is the resolution of the pic or the fact that the red dot is on a red stop sign?

Btw side note: I also get the red circle on the outer edges of the eyepiece on my 3-18x44 Leupold Vx6hd when I am at 3x max power illumination (impact 29 reticle).
I hear ya. My Leupolds don’t bleed at max. Any of them. The bleed out on the LHT is horrendous compared to every other illuminated rets have. Worse than an NXS.
like I’ve said before, maybe it’s a dud.

you are really going to be hard pressed to find a better top-tier optic for hunting that the VX-5/6HD. They are built to take anything you can throw at it, but generally the lightest in terms of weight. The glass is crisp, clear and bright edge to edge (even at high power) and you cant beat them in terms of low-light and glare performance (generally when animals are most active). Buy with confidence. I love my 3-15 VX-5HD.

I have the razor lht. A vx5hd firedot duplex. And 2 shv's a first and a second focal. The leupold kicks the NF and vortex ass for clarity and illumination. IMO if you're hunting at less than 300 get the leupold.

Reactions: bigwatchpilot
@HolyCity73

So, this is what I was thinking too. The biggest reason I ordered the LHT is the G4i reticle. I just really like the look of it with the big thick lines double tapering to a dot. I've never liked the top half (top half of the vertical stadia?) of any reticle, as I never use it and it's distracting.

So, this is what I was thinking too. The biggest reason I ordered the LHT is the G4i reticle. I just really like the look of it with the big thick lines double tapering to a dot. I've never liked the top half (top half of the vertical stadia?) of any reticle, as I never use it and it's distracting.
Agreed. The German4 is my all time favorite.

Reactions: S_R
I have the older version of the vortex LH 2-10 and the vx5Hd and to me the vortex class was much cleaner and brighter. I’m hoping the lot has the same glass as I’d like to sell the LH and but the LHT on my fieldcraft.

For shots 300yd and in I’d seriously look at a Swaro Z3 and zero your rifle for 200yd and never have to dial. The glass is crazy clear and since you won’t have to dial it’ll hold zero just fine.

The SHV 3.5-10 I saw was pretty disappointing, my VX5hd is better in everyway.
The new Vortex LHT looking interesting, the feedback so far suggests it's a nice optic but the illumintion is not as good as the Leupold Firedot.
If that's the case then I'd be going for the VX5hd.

If you expect to be shooting most of your game at 300yards then go the 3-15, but if you expect to do most of it under 100yards then the 2-10 is worth looking into. For very close shots 2x magnification with the Firedot is an awesome set up.

The only things that frustrates me with the VX5HD/VX6HD is the lack of mil/mil illuminated reticles, it's always either one or the other. Why is there still no sub 20 oz 2-10 or 2-12 with the 0.1 mil cds-zl2 turret and a good TMR illuminated.
There was a special batch of 3-18x44 on opticsplanet I think 1.5 year ago but that's it. You'd think Leupold would want to promote those as an alternative to the dated and expensive Nightforce 2.5-10x32/42.
It seems that for 2020 Leupold is offering the HTMR for the VX5HD but no illum.

I don't know why Leupold has been slow to the Mil party with the VX5/VX6, I'm guessing they just don't think the market is there.
Hopefully the new Mil 3-15x44 does well and convinces them to do more Mil options on the VX range.

I also don't know why they don't have a Firedot TMR/TMOA reticle, they had a Firedot windplex in the OG VX6 and had illuminated TMOA and Impact reticles in the VX6hd but they have discontinued them.
Would love to hear from someone in the know what happened, can only guess that they just weren't very popular. I thinks it's pretty clear this forum is a pretty niche market and not representative of the wider shooting community.

Reactions: wade2big
I don't know why Leupold has been slow to the Mil party with the VX5/VX6, I'm guessing they just don't think the market is there.
Hopefully the new Mil 3-15x44 does well and convinces them to do more Mil options on the VX range.

I also don't know why they don't have a Firedot TMR/TMOA reticle, they had a Firedot windplex in the OG VX6 and had illuminated TMOA and Impact reticles in the VX6hd but they have discontinued them.
Would love to hear from someone in the know what happened, can only guess that they just weren't very popular. I thinks it's pretty clear this forum is a pretty niche market and not representative of the wider shooting community.

I agree. When I bought my razor lht I was looking at the leupold vx5hd that has mil turrents and the htmr reticle. I went with the vortex because of the illumination and floating center dot. If leupold had the same offering I would have bought it.

When I spoke to the Leupold rep last year about the prospect mil offerings in the VX line, I was told flatly that the overwhelming majority of their scopes are for hunting. It is their view that a sfp hunting scope in milradian would be a poor business choice given the market share. I was informed that the FFP MOA Ret and turret System in their tactical line was proof of the divide between hunting and tactical preference of systems since it sold SO poorly versus the milrad system.
It all boils down to economics and in their opinion, “The small number of American shooters who prefer milrad hunters have not yet displayed a niche they wish to explore.”

hope that sheds a little light on things.

When I spoke to the Leupold rep last year about the prospect mil offerings in the VX line, I was told flatly that the overwhelming majority of their scopes are for hunting. It is their view that a sfp hunting scope in milradian would be a poor business choice given the market share. I was informed that the FFP MOA Ret and turret System in their tactical line was proof of the divide between hunting and tactical preference of systems since it sold SO poorly versus the milrad system.
It all boils down to economics and in their opinion, “The small number of American shooters who prefer milrad hunters have not yet displayed a niche they wish to explore.”

They could still offer some choices via the custom shop.

Wonder how well the new Mil/Mil VX5hd offering will go.
It seems now more hunters are moving towards the Mil direction, maybe the new Vortex will help this along also.

Still doesn't explain why there are very few milling/tree reticle options in hunting orientated scopes.
I'm guessing that again they are just not very popular, thus don't sell well.
Interesting that the Bushnell LRHS was considered by many to be the perfect FFP hunting scope but was discontinued at the donut of death reticle done away with.

I guess SFP duplex scopes are where 99% of the market is and it's not worth it to manufacturers to spend R&D time and money on the 1%.

Wonder how well the new Mil/Mil VX5hd offering will go.
It seems now more hunters are moving towards the Mil direction, maybe the new Vortex will help this along also.

Still doesn't explain why there are very few milling/tree reticle options in hunting orientated scopes.
I'm guessing that again they are just not very popular, thus don't sell well.
Interesting that the Bushnell LRHS was considered by many to be the perfect FFP hunting scope but was discontinued at the donut of death reticle done away with.

I guess SFP duplex scopes are where 99% of the market is and it's not worth it to manufacturers to spend R&D time and money on the 1%.

I hunt with a lot of people who aren't gun guys. Most have difficulty adjusting the zero they will shoot at paper then hold where they need to.

The community here gun guys who hunt.

Reactions: beetroot
[QUOTEI was not impressed with the SHV glass...][/QUOTE] I think it is well known that the glass in the SHV is the same as in the NXS line. FWIW, I took a SHV off of one of my rifles and replaced it with a Leupold VX 5HD. The VX 5HD suits my needs on that particular rifle. My long range rifles both wear Nightforce NSX scopes.

Reactions: JS8588
I was looking to contact Leupolds custom shop but they are not taking new orders. I guess I'll have to make do with the current offerings.

If you are going to use it for hunting and in the same general area I would recommend the VX5 HD I really like mine with the Fire Dot and CDS dial.

Reactions: DubfromGA
go with vx5-hd. I got brand new still in shrink wrap shipped to me for $785 (3-15x44 fire-dot duplex) last year in classifieds. Love it on my 6.5CM. Hitting steel out to 550yds no prob using turrets

VX5 has really good glass and coatings on the glasses. I was impressed with how bright and everything looked in low light situations. would be my for a sfp scope.

Took mine up and down 100-200-300-500 and back. Tracking, my ballistic app’s numbers, and the hits on steel all matched up!