• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VZ 24 questions

vetski

Private
Minuteman
Jumped into the vintage rifle fray today with a VZ24. the BRNO factory (E3) 1938, lion crest completely intact and very detailed. All in all just beautiful. I plan on taking off the stock and restoring it as best I can, try to steam out the dents etc. All the metal parts are in the white, not a trace of blue anywhere. I've read that some 24s were made this way, but how do I tell? I like the way it looks, but if I did reblue, what parts would traditionally be blued and which would be left in the white?

Re: VZ 24 questions

Restoring a vintage weapon by blueing generally ruins the value. The old VZ I used to make a hunting rifle was blued. Except for wear corners it was a nice deep blue. There was minor pitting at the wood line on the receiver.

Good Luck

Well it was only $200 bucks, so I'm not really worried about value. Plus, the bolt doesn't match the stock and receiver. I do like the look of the white, so maybe I'll leave it that way, but would be interested to know how they were issued, from a historical perspective. Thanks for the input!

I would leave it in the white. Strip, steam and clean the furniture and oil it. Go shooting.

This is a Yugo re-arsenaled VZ, M24/52C. I'm seeing about 3moa with surplus 8mm.

m2456c07-1.jpg

That's what I decided as well. Just finished up steaming the stock a few days ago and put on the first coat of BLO this morning. When I get it all back together I'll post some pics.