• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Walther P22 FTF (releases to half cock)

match-grade

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2006
Knoxville, TN
Took the Wifes P22 out this morning, and it did this. Never happened before. As a round was in chamber, and the hammer forward, did a full trigger squeeze. When the hammer when to the rear and released, it only went to half cock. At first, I though it was a bad first round and racked the slilde. This of course pushed the hammer all the way to the rear. When the hammer released, the round fired.

When I reloaded the mag, the hammer was all the way forward, and same as before, it when forward only to the half cock. I cought the problem then and did a field strip. Sure enough, the pistole grip (lower) was catching on the half cock. Some times in single action, sometimes in double.

What the heck? I get home and take it apart again, and blow can of air though it and run a brush across to get what little dust was on it off. But, the sear keeps catching on the half cock, about 30-50 percent of the time. Anyone know whats going on before I send it off?

Thanks! James

Re: Walther P22 FTF (releases to half cock)

That's a new one. I've got two and neither have had such an issue. Sounds like a factory return to me.

Yeah, thats what i was thinking. She has had this since Hurrican Katrinia (every one has a catalist for buying a gun, ha ha) and this is the first problem it has ever had. We only shoot CCI HV round though it and it is not beat up.

Have any experiance with Walther customer service?

Don't mess with it. Just send it back.

P22's are fun, but not the highest quality guns in the world. I love mine, but the build quality is another reason why I tell people to NEVER rely on one for defensive purposes.

I've never had to deal with their customer service, so I'm not sure

Send it back. We got a P22 for my wife and it had an issue of going partially back into safe after being fired. Sent it back, and got it repaired under warranty. No fuss, and no complaints from me. They fixed the issue and it was back in a reasonable amount of time.

I have a Walther P22. I've had three firing pins break in it. It's a horrible pistol. Then again, I heard it is made by the Mattell Toy Company for Walther and Smith & Wesson. Same with the Sig Mosquito. All made by a toy company.

Now that the rant is out of the way. The customer service is pretty good. On all occasions I had new parts out to me within 1 week.

I had a P22 blow up on me - the barrel throat was messed up (too small) and the slide exploded. S&W took it back, paid the S&H to them and back to me and sent a brand new pistol. I haven't shot it yet and this was about a year and a half ago!!

Mattel does not make the P22 or any other Walther. The P22 is manufactured by Carl Walther GmbH Sportwaffen.

I admit that P22s have their issues, but not all of the pistols are bad, it's kind of hit or miss with them. The good news is they will fix it when it doesn't work, or send you the parts to fix it. And like most guns, there are plenty of DIY fixes.

Sorry to hear that you have had so much trouble with your pistol 1505. Just curious 1505 but what year is your P22? If you are unsure how to tell the year there are 2 letters on the right hand side. And A=0 B=1 C=2 etc... We have an AH here (2007) it has the 2nd series of "A" magizines, so there are known feed issues that were mostly fixed with the newer "B" series. Sometime in 2007 they switched fully over to the B's.

If anyone is curious about P22's I suggest checking out the Walther section of RFC

I absolutely could not dissagree more that the P22 is a toy. There have been more than a few instances where it was used with exceedingly lethal outcomes. (VT and the one in Finland to name two off the top of my head).

This is actually the gun my Wife carries with her, and I also carry it when I don't want the G19 hanging off my side. I would dare say that some looser meth head or thug would not be impressed after catching a few rounds in the chest.

I will never be able to wrap my head around such thoughts as to consider a 22 a "toy," whether joking or not. I would actually consider such statments as dangerous. Did I have problems with this particular gun? Yes. I have also had problems with many other guns as well. (1911's, S&W's, a Colt revolver, just to name a few. Hell, even a GLOCK will act up from time to time.)

I have a link somewhere to the P-22 bible. Someone went through the thing and addressed most of the issues.#1 being the action screws backing out. You have to take the action out of the frame to fix. Also some deburring of the trigger and slide. I did all I could to mine and it has been very reliable ever since even with poor ammo. I don't have the link anymore, but google it and it should show up.
YMMV-Rob

I actually love these lil pistols,,,I've had a few come and go
Actually just traded a guy a south african battle pack 5.56mm for a new one in the case that he says won't fire...I'm still laughing about the crazy trades I get ...
they make great pocket or carry guns ,especially when hiking.
and snapping turtles don't stand a chance with me when I have one while fishing....LOL!

I'll be picking it up from FFL dealer next week..

Ohh and loaded with some Viper hollow points...Deadly!
Don't make jack ass statements about the lethality of
a 22 rimfire, it shows how truly stupid you are with regards
to true ballistics in real world situations.

There's plenty of leo's here who will tell of countless
dead perps waiting for them at a crime scene where the
lil 22 rimfire didn't harm anybody!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coolwaterz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ohh and loaded with some Viper hollow points...Deadly!
Don't make jack ass statements about the lethality of
a 22 rimfire, it shows how truly stupid you are with regards
to true ballistics in real world situations.</div></div>

LMAO!!!

For every dirtbag that dies from a .22 scores more walk/run/drive themselves to the emergency room. Sometimes after going home, smoking a blunt/meth/crack then realizing that leaking hole ain't going to heal itself.

But hey, it's not like I have ever seen gunshot wounds on people in "real world situations".....right?
wink.gif

Hey McQuade

I'm talking about over all percentages of dead perps shot
by another,,,major numbers of dead from a 22 ...

sure some live ,,as do many from 9mm's 38's etc..

the numbers don't lie... a 22 will kill you far quicker than
a 25 that is about the equivalent of an airsoft.

22 is deadly... make no mistake..

Just look at the thread a member put up here with a frozen turkey shot at 100 yds...let's keep it real..

Mossad,CIA and various others don't count on it for nothing

It is the single caliber that has taken the most lives...fact!

Do I recommend it for a first defense caliber? hell no..10 mm or 45 acp
is my 1st choice...

But in the proper hands that can deliver shot placement a 22 is deadly.

Not stopping power but eventually they die from the damage that that lil shit does in there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coolwaterz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mossad,CIA and various others don't count on it for nothing</div></div>

Really? You know this for a fact? How often have you worked with them? When was the last time they issued you a .22? Or are you responding from the reams of CIA and Mossad After Action Reports that you have access to?

Can a .22LR kill? You bet your ass. Should it really be an option when you have access to other weapons systems? Not in my opinion....but then again rarely have I been able to choose my weapon system. Usually it's "make do" with what you have. Thank god I have never been issued a .22

Look I'm not about to engage in dialog with anybody making the above statement...

If you are arguing something so obvious as to the 22 rimfire being
"the cartridge" for hits in suppressed pistols and other applications then that's your problem bro! it's been used for as long as I've been alive and is to this day...

Try google read some documents ....daddy isn't gonna hold your hand!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coolwaterz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look I'm not about to engage in dialog with anybody making the above statement...

"the cartridge" for hits in suppressed pistols and other applications then that's your problem bro! it's been used for as long as I've been alive and is to this day...

</div></div>

Tread lightly bud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thumper49802</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coolwaterz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look I'm not about to engage in dialog with anybody making the above statement...

</div></div>

Tread lightly bud. </div></div>

right right..... am I with men or gals here,,cmon.....

gimme a break!!

Let's act like men!

What's with the lil clicks here?

a guy can't speak his mind? seems anytime I have some guy with a couple hundred posts or more here start to disagree with me ,I have another step in with the same type of lil comment,,,another drops some dumb ass pic,,,saying keep talking newbie keep talking....

You're damned right I will....

I'm sorry should I apply for my reserve club bad boys membership?

nahhh not interested...

Ok, back to the topic at hand (since I started it).

P22 is broken, but it's NOT a toy.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on fixing it, as Walther wants me to overnight UPS it. Thats not going to happen, since it would cost at least 40 or 50 bucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Post count doesn't matter a damn. Real world experience does.

What's yours? </div></div>

Like we couldn't see that one coming??

duuhhh who's dick is bigger!! You've just displayed your intellect
this stemming from a discussion about the lethality of a 22, and the use of it in real world applications which is reknowned world wide by simply doing a bit of research...

Of course as the original op has stated let's get back to the Walther P22 subject..

Hey McQuade if you wanna brag about your big accomplishment in life ,go tell it to the dumb blonde at the bar,maybe it'll get you somewhere and some respect...

You sure as hell havn't earned it here....

And in the end my dick is still bigger than yours...LOL!!

Haaaa!!

Hey match grade
hold onto it and pm me
mine will be here this week and I'll go through it and also walk you through your troubles,via email in detail..

I'm a machinist and have been working on guns and everything else for quite some years..
we will get her fixed don't fret...

most likely just needs a lil rub down to aid in fit and finish.
It sounds likely that something is dragging a bit and catching or obstructing the hammer prematurely .

McQuade are you done yet?? LOL!! my girlfriend has gotten a laugh at your comments,,,she wanted you to know she's real impressed with your wits and bravado!! looks like you have an admirer!

Sorry you'd earn more respect by saying less....Yeah you were a trigger guy in the corp,,,great,,I did my time as well back in 1990 big deal!! go beat your chest somewhere else..
I've been pulling the trigger since 1975 how about you?
Just because I'm a machinist and not a cop doesn't mean I don't know ballistics,,actually quite the contrary,,I've been making
700's and M77's and model 70's pretty damned accurate for some time,,maybe not on the scale that George does ,,not even close,,but I do work in microns and have a few lathes around here and a bridgeport.

I just chose to avoid the civil jobs after my service was done ,after getting 56 credits in criminal justice with my GI bill $
it was a near retirement Chief of police that persuaded me to pursue my machining background and finish that instead of being a cop.....

Glad I did....well until the bottom fell out of the economy lately..

My Dialog with you is complete,,,,have a nice life!