• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Want input on long range bolt hunt rifle

Tangled_Downrigger

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2010
I am replacing my worn out pre-'64 Winchester '06 and am interested in something with a bit more punch at longer distance. As this was my hunt gun passed down by pops so many years ago, I am clueless with all the variety out there. 7mm mag has been listed as one to consider. Weight is an issue climbing the Rockies and dang time caught up with me. Any ideas or recommendations for me to ponder?

Re: Want input on long range bolt hunt rifle

7mm mag would be a very good all-round choice. Don't go too light on the rifle - better to invest in a bit of exercise and conditioning instead.

A heavier, shorter high-grade barrel (maybe 24 inches, but not less) would be best. Practise with it a lot. No muzzle brake for hunting. Get it with synthetic or laminate stock, either adjustable or custom-fitted to your pull and cheek height.

Up to 1200yds. Use on elk, mulies, occasional bear and wolf. Missed more than a couple of encounters with the big dogs due to distance.

I agree with the exercise but just getting old and the wear and tear to go along with it.

Not looking to kill an animal out that far, except for maybe the dogs. Would also like to be able to target shoot at distance. Can't justify the expense for two systems.

Guess I didn't phrase my question with enough info. Thanks anyways.

Got a buddy that uses a custom 7mm mag in Alaska and it does a great job on moose and black bear. He keeps it in his
eberlestock pack untill he is ready to use it. It is a bit on the heavy side but helps when shooting paper or steel. Ammo is easy to find as well.

Suggest rebarreling the '06 with .35 Whelen. Same case as the '06, 225gr Sierra SPBT at 2500fps still carries over 1500ft-lb of energy at 500 yd.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crazy Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to www.6mmBR.com and read some of the 7mm balastic. Seems mightier promiseing to me, especlly the high BC bullets availble. </div></div>

+ 1 for 6mmbr.com

real good info on here
smile.gif

I would strongly consider the 300 win mag,excellent round,and a very good all round cartridge for long range

I've shot a lot of 1000 yard matches over the last 30+ years. One thing I learned is, there is no way in heck I'd got after deer, elk, etc. at 1000 yards.

With the best 7mm bullet out there, you are gonna get a drift of a hair over 5 inches per MPH of wind. Thats over 50 inches at 10 MPH, and there arnt any range flags.

I've hunted in the mountains, I've noticed what the wind is doing at your position, may or may not be doing the same thing at the next ridge 1000 yards away.

I havent met many people who can tell the differance between an 5 MPH wind and an 8 MPH wind at the target on the next ridge.

You dont get sighters in hunting, when shooting a match if I'm off a few inches, the worse thing that happens is I get scored a miss. When hunting at long range, if you are off on your call, you have a gut shot elk that could run five miles before you even get to the location he was standing when you shot.

Sorry, as much as I enjoy long range shooting, there is no way in hell I'd attempt a shot at any animal 1000-1200 yards away.
There are just too many ways to muff a shot. We ow the animals we hunt more then that.

Sorry to hijack the post with a rant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You dont get sighters in hunting,</div></div>

Actually, the way most long range (let's say 1000y plus or minus) hunting is done, sighters are used. Sighters are taken 100y or 200y away of the animal, and are mostly used for confirming windage dope (elevation is the easy part).

That said, I've never done that and probly never will. My LR rigs are not for hunting so they're light (6.5mm).

i was witness to a 1000yd kill on a mover in the wind....one shot, right thru the plumbing......i spotted and called the wind....the trigger slapper was a relative newbie, and worked the ballistic program and i ranged.....all-in-all quite an accomplishment.

Or a lucky shot. If it was only one shot, how would you know?

OTOH, if I made that shot, I'd pack up and go home.
laugh.gif