• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Want to have my barrel cut..but have questions

Jay5oh

Minuteman
Jul 14, 2007
I have a 700 SPS-V in .223 with a 26" barrel. I am interested in having the barrel cut to around 20" or so. It is a 1:12" twist, I shoot under 200 yards (longest range around here) and normally use Black Hills 50gr A-Max loads but sometimes 52 and 55gr.

Is there any reason not to have it cut? Any accuracy or bullet stabilization problems?

Thanks

Re: Want to have my barrel cut..but have questions

nope the length wont affect accuracy or stabilization per say. It will affect velocity.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Check out the results from this experiment in progressively cutting the barrel of a 22" rifle down to 10".

—Andreas

best reason I know is it costs money to have it done right. I would go ahead and put that money on a new barrel with faster twist and be ahead of the game. Chances are the new barrel will shoot better.

Anymore charts/comparisons like the one Andrea posted?

Not sure if I want to go 22 or 20"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">best reason I know is it costs money to have it done right. I would go ahead and put that money on a new barrel with faster twist and be ahead of the game. Chances are the new barrel will shoot better. </div></div>

I agree. I wouldn't go pouring money into a factory barrel. If you're doing the work yourself that's another story.

I cut my .308 down to 20". I couldn't be happier. Well not until I get a good tube that's 18.5"
wink.gif

The barrel has less than 1000 rounds through it. I don't shoot this rifle a whole lot or shoot competition. Just a recreational paper killer. I looked on brownells & midway for barrels. For me, at this time spending ~$70 is more feasible than ~$250

Don't get me wrong, I would like to have a faster barrel but it's going to have to wait for a bit. Ultimately I'd like to get a good barrel and have it threaded for a suppressor....some day.

Anyway, 20 or 22"??

Interesting article recommends 21.75". Not that I'd recommend you get delusional that it will really make any difference on a stock Remington in a <$2,000 bench rest - just an interesting article.