• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

wanted an edge but settled on 300rum

oneshotkyle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2011
central oregon
this week i will be ordering a 300rum sendero for my long range needs/wants. there are a couple things i wanna do before shooting. and would like to hear your suggestions.
defensive edge brake
trigger(probly shillen)
seekins dbm
and get it bedded while at the smiths gettin brake done.

i have some local guys that have an edge and i figured id start with the 300 rum till barrel is gone then build an edge later. its pretty rare to read a post with a bad shooting sendero and ive always wanted one anyways. guys with senderos in 300rum's lets hear some loads that work well.

Re: wanted an edge but settled on 300rum

If you wanted an edge, why not go with a 338 rum? Near the same performance and gets you in to the 338 game. As far as the brake is concerned, take a good hard look at APA's fat bastard. Aruably, the best brake on the market. The Shillen trigger will serve you well, as would a Rifle Basix.

went with 300rum so i could use brass for an edge down the road. ill look into the fat bastard brake as an option too, thanks.

Get a Timney trigger, Second if you got a Sendero try 210gr Bergers they shoot very well out of it

I had a RWS on my 338 RUM and it worked great. Cost was under $50 shipped and that was turned down to my barrel OD. Look for his information on the hide.

Oh and for the .300 Ultra the Little Bastard will work just fine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshotkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">went with 300rum so i could use brass for an edge down the road.</div></div>

I think you'll find the primer pockets loosen up before you have the chance to shoot them as an edge. Figure 100 pcs of brass loaded 10 times will give you 1000 rounds down the pipe and depending on how hard you push them, you'll be looking to replace the brass.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just my experience with 300 RUM brass. I shoot an edge and find the pockets are loose after 3 firings. I still shoot the brass (have 12 loads on them before I pitch them) but the pockets are loose as h*ll.

Shooting Berger 210's in front of 94 grains of retumbo here. Good for just over 1/2 MOA.....before the new brake and bedding job. Hopefully can gain a little more.

Great starter rifle for long range hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshotkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Goin'Hot
what brand of brass do you use. have you tried any nosler.
</div></div>

All Remmy brass.

I'd say to stay with 300RUM and shoot the new 230 grain Bergers. Their new hybrid has a .743BC and can be launched at 3000 fps with single feeding and seating the bullet just out of the lands.

Steve what powder and grains in the area to get started with the 230gr bullets?

alot saying the 208amax and 210berger. would really like more info on this 230berger hybrid. and what is the overall length of that round steve123?

I don't own a 300RUM but I do have a similar cartridge with a less capacity and shoot the 230's at 2960 fps. The 230 has done well to 2100Y for me.

Every rifle likes a certain load best. It's up to you to figure that out. I suggest you start with Retumbo as the powder and seat the bullet kissing the lands to start with.

oneshotkyle,

I had the same idea as you. Get a sendero in 300rum, put a brake on see how I like it, then upgrade it to an Edge. Each day I go back and forth. Now I'm leaning towards getting an Edge built from the start. Although I could probably get a sendero and have a brake put on and be shooting before I get a custom Edge built.

i think that getting the rum will help my abilities to shoot elr much better over time. when i shoot the barrel out, rebarrel back to rum or edge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say to stay with 300RUM and shoot the new 230 grain Bergers. Their new hybrid has a .743BC and can be launched at 3000 fps with single feeding and seating the bullet just out of the lands. </div></div>

been googling 230bergers since this post. may be worth single feeding.

I have both, wanted an Edge, while I was collecting bits for it a 300rum followed me home. I love my Edge- and partly because the Fat Bastard tames it so well. My 300rum has been awesomely accurate with H1000 and 208gr AMAX- and is not that far behind the Edge's ballistics with those or the Bergers.

I have been using Nosler brass and primer pockets are loose after one or two firings but still useable. My RUM is not braked, it will probably get a Little Bastard if I decide to keep it.

If I were to start this process again- I would buy a 300wm, and have it set back/rechambered to 30-375Ruger/300 AccIntl? to run similar speeds, be able to actually feed from a magazine,and use a fair bit less powder to do it.

Any way you go- you'll end up with a very capable rig!
I single feed both the Edge and the RUM...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OinCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have been using Nosler brass and primer pockets are loose after one or two firings but still useable.</div></div>

that was one concern i have for buying nosler brass. i am very happy with all the other calibers of nosler brass i use but have read many posts on 300rum guys not lasting without loosening primer pockets. OinCO have you used remington brass and does it hold up better than nosler?

I have not tried the Remington brass yet- I do have 100 ready to go (for both Edge and the RUM). Nosler is easier for me to get locally which is half the reason I went that route. I would be interested to hear what others are seeing if they have tried both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshotkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say to stay with 300RUM and shoot the new 230 grain Bergers. Their new hybrid has a .743BC and can be launched at 3000 fps with single feeding and seating the bullet just out of the lands. </div></div>

been googling 230bergers since this post. may be worth single feeding. </div></div>

Berger has a OTM 230 grain also which is designed for mag feeding.

I have 3 loadings on my 300 RUM Remington Brass and it is holding up fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Berger has a OTM 230 grain also which is designed for mag feeding</div></div>

i read about you testing the hybrid steve123 do you have any experience trying the OTM230? the 230hybrids are what talked me out of doing a seekins dm. a repeater and/or single feeding is fine if the rifle will like these big bergers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshotkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Berger has a OTM 230 grain also which is designed for mag feeding</div></div>

i read about you testing the hybrid steve123 do you have any experience trying the OTM230? the 230hybrids are what talked me out of doing a seekins dm. a repeater and/or single feeding is fine if the rifle will like these big bergers. </div></div>

Nope I didn't try the OTM's. I don't mind single feeding to be able to use the hybrids, for the present anyways.

I've got the Sendero and built an Edge. You'll like it either way. 98gr. of Retumbo with a 180gr. Scirrocco.
526ydswith300RUM.jpg

ScottsPictures1732.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshotkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say to stay with 300RUM and shoot the new 230 grain Bergers. Their new hybrid has a .743BC and can be launched at 3000 fps with single feeding and seating the bullet just out of the lands. </div></div>

been googling 230bergers since this post. may be worth single feeding. </div></div>

Don't get too excited about making it kiss the lands. Commonly rifles shoot best with a little free bore and their accuracy oscililates as the freebore is extended. Meaning it may shoot best at .01 free bore and then get bad out to .015 and then shoot great again at .02... It's common for many long range competetors to prefrer even more than .02 of freebore.

Point is don't stick yourself cramming rounds into the lands and dealing with a sticky action just because...your best accuracy is probably with something shorter

sendero ordered yesterday. now im tring to figure out base and rings. gonna buy badger stuff. either a 20 or 30 moa base and a pair of there usmc rings dont know the right height yet. optic will be a nightforce 5.5x22x50 or 56 bell not quite sure yet. anyone with ring heights that will keep scope low lets hear. as for base will i be able to 100yd zero using a 30moa base? thanks fellas