• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Warfare with weeds?

wvfarrier

Ignorant wretch
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2012
West (By GOD) Virginia
I have been reading recently, about all these pesticide resistant, highly invasive asian weeds that are popping up in US states. Typically in midwest states that provide a lot of the grains, soy and cattle that feeds US citizens. My mind immediately went to the paper written by a couple colonels in the PLA, Unrestricted Warfare. Its basically a manual on how to cripple the US without using military weapons.

Its a disturbing thought

Most invasive plants come in as ornamental plants. A couple plants and couple hundred or thousand seeds turns into a couple million plants pretty fast.

Reactions: Mwalex and Ichi
Bags of birdseed seed have a number of noxious weeds in them . Grasses and pasture mixes too This I know. Also some wildflower mixes.

It's certainly an easy way to spread them across the entire country. (mail order, stores)

As for pesticide resistant plants... when you farm large/huge acreages, and spray to control weeds in your crops, plants will develop a resistance to what chemicals you are using.

Best management practices are that you are supposed to use a different chemical every couple of years if I recall correctly- provided something is available to control the problem weed/weeds. This helps to not create chemical resistant plants.

Bags of birdseed seed have a number of noxious weeds in them . Grasses and pasture mixes too This I know. Also some wildflower mixes.

It's certainly an easy way to spread them across the entire country. (mail order, stores)

As for pesticide resistant plants... when you farm large/huge acreages, and spray to control weeds in your crops, plants will develop a resistance to what chemicals you are using.

Best management practices are that you are supposed to use a different chemical every couple of years if I recall correctly- provided something is available to control the problem weed/weeds. This helps to not create chemical resistant plants.
But even if you do someone else might not be. Then as those plants seeds spread you end up with herbiceide resistant weeds anyway.

Live on a farm in a rural area and the weeds are definitely getting harder to kill. Roundup use to easily kill careless weed (ragweed) but it getting harder each year as they are becoming more resistant which in turn leads to more weeds. Nut grass, potato vine all more resistant. Railroads imported salt cedar in the southwest to protect the tracts from wind blown sand and now you can't get rid of it. Poisons anything that tries to compete with it just like creosote.

Conducting a form of food warfare with the country you get most of your food, and food production inputs (fertilizer) from, would be a dumb thing to do. If the US was having a food production problem, we aren't likely to export as much, if at all.

Less likely china, and perhaps more terror actions from within. Just my $.02.

Branden

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

America’s Tumultuous Love Affair With Kudzu

Before the plant was considered a scourge, it was used for decoration, as livestock fodder, and to fight erosion.

1705503644306.png

1705503731034.png

• Sad
"WEEDS" are big business..... The more weeds, the more weed killer, the more money the Big 3 chemical industries make. The more money the cultivator industry makes. Unfortunately, the more chemicals the American people are ingesting. More "Agriculture" (weed) classes being taught at universities, more State and County "Weed Control Agencies", more Government employees riding ATV's and spraying roadways, forest, railroads, etc....

Killing all the weeds could put millions of people out of work and crash the economy... or so a Politician will tell you. ;)

Live on a farm in a rural area and the weeds are definitely getting harder to kill. Roundup use to easily kill careless weed (ragweed) but it getting harder each year as they are becoming more resistant which in turn leads to more weeds. Nut grass, potato vine all more resistant. Railroads imported salt cedar in the southwest to protect the tracts from wind blown sand and now you can't get rid of it. Poisons anything that tries to compete with it just like creosote.

Japanese knotweed is a real bitch.

I'm less worried about evil foreign powers than I am about normal stupid people moving dirt all over the place.

Some dick planted that next to my house. I cover the patch with cardboard and plastic every spring. It tries to grow back every year even though I've been suffocating it for 6 years now with no luck.

Nobody will sell me a true ground clearing herbicide. It laughs at the crap from the hardware store.

Isn't calling something an invasive species contrary to the idea that life magically puffed into existance and then began to evolve and comptete where the stongest and best adapted to survive and the others die off....

Around here I haven't seen where the Tamarisc or salt cedar does anything much diffrent than the willow thickets. They make good cover and bedding for deer and elk. It might be hard on the beavers though. I have never seen tamarisk stripped like beavers were eating it but that doesn't mean they don't.

Conducting a form of food warfare with the country you get most of your food, and food production inputs (fertilizer) from, would be a dumb thing to do. If the US was having a food production problem, we aren't likely to export as much, if at all.

Less likely china, and perhaps more terror actions from within. Just my $.02.

Branden
I wish this was true, as we send billions abroad and have starving folks right here. I have no doubt our gov would sent food out of country in a shortage.

Isn't calling something an invasive species contrary to the idea that life magically puffed into existance and then began to evolve and comptete where the stongest and best adapted to survive and the others die off....

Around here I haven't seen where the Tamarisc or salt cedar does anything much diffrent than the willow thickets. They make good cover and bedding for deer and elk. It might be hard on the beavers though. I have never seen tamarisk stripped like beavers were eating it but that doesn't mean they don't.
Tamarisk uses up way more water than willows for for the same amount of area, that is one of the main problems with it in the west. Also, beavers will eat it, I have some here along the river and they hit it along with the willows. Bastard has a target on him now though. He started fucking up my best tree on the property. If he would have stuck with the willows and Tammies Id have let him be. Now I have to cage my tree until I bust his ass. Really hoping it doesnt die.

Some dick planted that next to my house. I cover the patch with cardboard and plastic every spring. It tries to grow back every year even though I've been suffocating it for 6 years now with no luck.

Nobody will sell me a true ground clearing herbicide. It laughs at the crap from the hardware store.

I wish this was true, as we send billions abroad and have starving folks right here. I have no doubt our gov would sent food out of country in a shortage.

Tamarisk uses up way more water than willows for for the same amount of area, that is one of the main problems with it in the west. Also, beavers will eat it, I have some here along the river and they hit it along with the willows. Bastard has a target on him now though. He started fucking up my best tree on the property. If he would have stuck with the willows and Tammies Id have let him be. Now I have to cage my tree until I bust his ass. Really hoping it doesnt die.
Last time they talked about eradicating them along the river here, they said it wasn't true that they used more water than other river bottom plants. That coming Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the biologist.

The grasses along the river bottoms don't have any trouble growing underneath them. A lot of what I am seeing now with currants making a come back. Is currants growing out of the bases of a lot of tamarisk where birds poop the seeds.

Rock salt.

I love this little section of Central Oregon I live in.
The ground is so porous and so poor it is impossible to raise an industrialized crop.
Zero groundwater pollution and a lot of pine trees, just the way I like it.

OP, try this if you havent. Should be able to get it at your local ag store. It kills broadleaf without hurting the grass. Havent tried it on Kudzu but it works like a charm on everthing else.

1705521252943.png

RM43 available at Tractor Supply and Rural King. Mix it hot with surfactant, works great.

Edit: RM43 will kill just about any plant indiscriminately. It’s primarily 43% glyphosate.

Last edited:

2,4-D herbicides are no bueno for Japanese Knotweed.

Last time they talked about eradicating them along the river here, they said it wasn't true that they used more water than other river bottom plants. That coming Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the biologist.

The grasses along the river bottoms don't have any trouble growing underneath them. A lot of what I am seeing now with currants making a come back. Is currants growing out of the bases of a lot of tamarisk where birds poop the seeds.
Interesting. The NPS biologist I talked with that was doing the tami beetle study deal in Grand Canyon and Cataract Canyon said they not only out compete the willows but were super thirsty as well. Said the tiny leaves dump more moisture and the roots uptake like crazy. Made sense to me that the tiny leaves with more surface area would dump more moisture in the dry wind. Who the hell knows. All I know is the Tamis arent going anywhere.

Interesting. The NPS biologist I talked with that was doing the tami beetle study deal in Grand Canyon and Cataract Canyon said they not only out compete the willows but were super thirsty as well. Said the tiny leaves dump more moisture and the roots uptake like crazy. Made sense to me that the tiny leaves with more surface area would dump more moisture in the dry wind. Who the hell knows. All I know is the Tamis arent going anywhere.
Rocksprings. the town near my ranch in Texas, many years ago had lots of bubbling little springs with knee high grass and a huge Live Oak every 100 yds or so. Then ranchers came in with cattle and ate until they couldnt survive anymore so they bought in sheep and goats who completely denuded the land. Then prickley pear cactus and cedar came in. A large cedar tree/bush can evaporate 30 gallons a day. All the little springs dried up and now its near a wasteland. They have had some success in resowing the natives and restoring the ecosystem but its really expensive.

i doubt very much the ones they are letting in are being searched for something like seeds (if anything at all).
and of course the gotaways could have whatever they want, like a backpack full of fentanyl or invasive plants.

I would think small leaves, less stoma, less water. Plus it's a relatively small tree with few leaves and its a conifer which tends to evaporate less water due to the waxy costing on their leaves. But I had always heard the opposite also until the point I mentioned. Trees in general use lots of water though. They keep blaming this and that for us not having any water stored in our resviors around here, but they are empty because they make us run out 60% of winter storage and 100% of summer. Then they claim its a drought problem.

Last edited:
Remedy will kill the hell out of Japaneese Knotweed. Works on most all woody and waxy weeds, like cedars and green briar, and that stupid thorny bush from hell with the little tiny oranges on it.

i doubt very much the ones they are letting in are being searched for something like seeds (if anything at all).
and of course the gotaways could have whatever they want, like a backpack full of fentanyl or invasive plants.
Their economy and money flow depends on us. If they wanted the US for something it would proabaly be our farmland. I just don't see the seed sabotage angle. I think people would staggered if they actually knew how many of the plants already here are invasive species.

Most people have no idea about things like chestnut blight and how drastically it changed the canopy in the east. And if it changed the canopy it changed rhyzosphere. Or how deep roots effect water infiltration into soil and water storage.

Remedy will kill the hell out of Japaneese Knotweed. Works on most all woody and waxy weeds, like cedars and green briar, and that stupid thorny bush from hell with the little tiny oranges on it.
Any idea what kills Bermuda grass best?

Rocksprings. the town near my ranch in Texas, many years ago had lots of bubbling little springs with knee high grass and a huge Live Oak every 100 yds or so. Then ranchers came in with cattle and ate until they couldnt survive anymore so they bought in sheep and goats who completely denuded the land. Then prickley pear cactus and cedar came in. A large cedar tree/bush can evaporate 30 gallons a day. All the little springs dried up and now its near a wasteland. They have had some success in resowing the natives and restoring the ecosystem but its really expensive.
The Penasco is a spring creek east of Cloudcroft we used to fly fish. The locals mentioned that springs that had flowed for years were going dry. Then there was a big burn in the Sacramento's that killed off lots of vegetation and the springs started flowing again.

Their economy and money flow depends on us. If they wanted the US for something it would proabaly be our farmland. I just don't see the seed sabotage angle. I think people would staggered if they actually knew how many of the plants already here are invasive species.

Most people have no idea about things like chestnut blight and how drastically it changed the canopy in the east. And if it changed the canopy it changed rhyzosphere. Or how deep roots effect water infiltration into soil and water storage.
if they can't control us with viruses, they will use water and food scarcity.

Any idea what kills Bermuda grass best?
Round up does the job, controlling the rhizomes is the challenge with Bermuda. Remedy will kill it, just way more expensive and more toxic. Little areas I just use the weed burner. We have some in front of the shop and house in the gravel. Instead of using chemicals I just use the weed burner