• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Warmest Vest?

vinniedelpino

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Charlotte NC
    Anyone have any input here?

Shooting in bulky, heavy and/or stiff jackets sucks.

I'm looking for a vest that's nice and toasty. Don't care what it looks like and doesn't have to be tacticool. No molle attachments, whizbang gadgets or blue tooth integration needed.

Just warm and not a POS.

I just got my brother one of those Polaris heated vests. I think Milwaukee makes one too

Reactions: vinniedelpino
    I wear an old Gerry down vest I got at a thrift store nearly 20 yrs ago for $8.

Works awesome.
    Very warm.
    Use it for all kinds of things.

On warmer days with wind, I wear a Mountain Hardware Windstopper fleece vest.
    Acquired the same way, maybe $12-15.

Also have a thinner/lighter Eddie Bauer First Ascent vest for packing around when weight/space matters.
    Same acquiring method.

NO need to spend big bucks on that stuff.
    Grab some Tenacious Tape for repairs in the nylon as nicks/tears happen.

download.jpeg

I wear an old Gerry down vest I got at a thrift store nearly 20 yrs ago for $8.

Works awesome.
    Very warm.
    Use it for all kinds of things.

On warmer days with wind, I wear a Mountain Hardware Windstopper fleece vest.
    Acquired the same way, maybe $12-15.

Also have a thinner/lighter Eddie Bauer First Ascent vest for packing around when weight/space matters.
    Same acquiring method.

NO need to spend big bucks on that stuff.
    Grab some Tenacious Tape for repairs in the nylon as nicks/tears happen.
    I agree with you... Finding useful items at the Thrift Stores is a year round "Endeavour". The winter clothes are found during the summer when Grandpa died and his kids donated all his stuff to the thrift store. Fishing gear is found in the middle of winter when everything is froze over.. I go to the Estate sales also. problem there is everything will all be one size (coats, boots, pants). It's hit or miss.... The old outdoor stuff that was "Made in the USA" holds it quality.

isn't that when you jump behind one of Walmart's many many 400+lb fat people wearing circus tents that are wet and use them as a bullet catch ?
    images

C1E80EF7-17F1-4A63-830B-DB6EE5A81820.jpeg

safer than if you were hiding behind a tree in the forest .

• Haha
    Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    isn't that when you jump behind one of Walmart's many many 400+lb fat people wearing circus tents that are wet and use them as a bullet catch ?
    images

C1E80EF7-17F1-4A63-830B-DB6EE5A81820.jpeg

safer than if you were hiding behind a tree in the forest .
    I'm behind this guy who is dressed in a 4X T shirt

Attachments

• Target shirt.jpg
      Target shirt.jpg
      13.4 KB · Views: 32
    • Haha
    Reactions: acudaowner
    My kids bought me a jacket from Ororo and it works very good so a few years later I asked for the vest. The vest in the link is the one I have. It does a great job, not bulky and the battery is in the right place for me. The YT video is on jackets, it covers several brands and their Pros and Cons.

Ororo

Free shipping to WV apparently 🤣
    B4235DE5-8906-42C1-849F-58678F8AF888.jpeg

I do love my vests but shooting with layers will always screw you. Doesn't matter if it's stiff, puffy or what ever. I always try to get down to at least a thin sweater.

Honestly, those super gay, thin, long-sleeved T-shirt sweaters have got me thinking. My wife had got me a similar style but it's a little bit thicker than a T-shirt and it works pretty well.

I had made a video recently where I had forgot to take my vest off, shot a group at 400~ then took it off and shot another. It's amazing how much those layers slip under recoil.

Screenshot_20220403-082631_Gallery.png

Top group was 5 shots with a vest. Centered group was 5 shots without a vest.

I’m a big fan of a flannel and carhart vest, or t shirt hoodie and carhart vest. I hate being hot and that combo in Ohio is pretty dang good until the wind is blowing snow. The vest is more of a core wind blocker and heat retainer in my opinion, what you have on under it makes the real difference. Wool blend thermal paired with a hoodie or even better a fleece lined thermal hoodie with the vest does wonders. I have a thick work polar fleece lined hoodie I wear with the vest a lot. Wish I could get it in camo and the carhart vest in camo because it would be great treestand and spot an stalk combo. Sorry that jumped around a bit.

Eddie Bauer down vest and jackets are super warm and can find on sale often if you look around.

+1 on cheap wool if you can find it, will insulate when wet as well

you can also get synthetic insulate that will still work decently when wetted through

I use Montbell puffy stuff exclusively now. Used a number of other brands including Patagonia and Montbell is the best quality for the money.

Not the cheapest, but they are warm and my personal choice.

I use a heavy weight (thick) puffy vest under a puffy parka in winter weather that isn't wet. The puffy vest compresses to t-shirt thickness when shouldering and is super lightweight for the warmth you get.

The cheap/synthetic/low cost bulky stuff sucks when shooting or hiking any distance IMO.

I do not hunt.

End of winter, there are some deals at Montbell

My kids bought me a jacket from Ororo and it works very good so a few years later I asked for the vest. The vest in the link is the one I have. It does a great job, not bulky and the battery is in the right place for me. The YT video is on jackets, it covers several brands and their Pros and Cons.

Ororo

Ororo

Great vest, I have one, my son and his girlfriend have one. I use it during deer season, and it works great for second duck season. I use it during winter mini palma matches all winter long.

Mike

I have found that goose down puffy vest or jacket compress more than any other jacket material I have used. This Canadian hates being cold and that down is all I wore shooting at least weakly all winter long (in Texas 😬).

Great vest, I have one, my son and his girlfriend have one. I use it during deer season, and it works great for second duck season. I use it during winter mini palma matches all winter long.

Mike
    Hard to find a good heated vest that gets solid reviews so I might have to check this out. I was originally looking at Volt products.

The Ororo vests rated pretty good when I researched them. They were in the top 5 rated and usually first or second.

Mike

Also @vinniedelpino not sure how you shoot, and a closed cell foam mat on the ground helps a lot if its real nasty cold.
    All depends if you are shooting prone and how long.

I have an old Thermarest one I use.
    The padding doesnt suck either. 😁

Also, a well fitted light set of wool long johns adds a lot of warmth. My 150 wt stuff fits under normal pants.
    When I need new stuff, I tend to shop deals and closeouts, but Voormi and Duckworth are both US made.
    Voormi baselayers arent much more than IceBreaker or Smartwool cost wise if new.

My gear crosses over a lot, to hiking, back packing, and back country hunting, so its always packable and light, but pretty durable.
    Not packing Filson on an 8+ miles a day week long hunt in the mtns.

I like down insulation but most down vests and down jackets have a thin polyester shell which isn't too durable in my experience.

I’ve been using a soft shell and rain gear from Forloh. It’s 100% American sourced and made. Solid gear.