• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Watch Guru's; Smith & Bradley, Suunto, etc??

Wyfox

Gun Snob
Minuteman
  • May 24, 2012
    Wyoming
    I know there has to be some watch Guru's on here. I'm in the market for a new watch and after doing some google searches I really like the Smith & Bradley Sans-13 and Suunto Elementum. The reviews I've read on the Elementum were not very good for a $1000 watch. Anybody have expierance with either?

My budget is $400-$1000, I don't need a bunch of gadgets or gizmos, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds like you're not fussed whether you roll with an analogue or digital watch. If it's digital you're after, I reckon a G-Shock is a better bet than Suunto if you don't need a barometer or altimeter built into the watch. Analogue...I use a Traser which I am very happy with, it's copped a few knocks and has held up fine so far. I also got one with red illumination, which is nowhere near as bright as the traditional green at night, but you can still read the time comfortably.

What all do you need in terms of features? How water resistant do you need it to be, shock resistant, etc. What will this watches primary purpose be?

It will be for everyday wear. It needs to be durable, water resistant(occasional swim), give me the date and time, and look good too. Any features beyond that is not crucial, I do a lot of backcountry hunting so altimeter would be cool but my Garmin and cell phone can do that. I've had Seiko's for the past 10 years and would like to upgrade to something with alittle more "Tactical" look to it. Analogue or digital doesn't matter to me, I just want something to last if I'm going to spend over $400.

I have a Suunto X-lander. Great watch with plenty of features. I had planned on doing a lot more hiking and camping but with 4 children under 8 years old that's not going to happen. In hind sight I should have bought a Marathon TSAR Basic features your looking for. I work at night and have to reference time often so the tritium vials are a nice feature. A nice meaty dive watch for under $500. It will be the next one I get.

Last edited:
    My everyday for the last seven years has been a Casio Pathfinder with the titanium band. It bridges from khakis and button down shirt to chest rig and Asolos very easily. I know you said you don't need gadgets and gizmos, but the added feature set available in it is very convenient as well. If you're a world traveler the dual time alone is worth it but in the woods I use the compass and altimeter quite a bit, along with watching the barometer out of sheer curiosity when weather patterns are shifting. Just get a solar version to avoid any battery changing because it will zap the battery in 18mo or less if you don't. Durability wise, while the mineral crystal isn't as strong as a sapphire, they do hold up well. I've never broken the band or pins across the two I've worn over the years.

My other two are both Citizen Eco-Drives for dive and dress. I personally haven't been able to justify any more for a watch when I have all I need from the three I do have, although I'm thinking seriously about the new Garmin wrist GPS watches they've released over the last year. If only Citizen/Casio would do a solar collaboration with Garmin...

I'd go with a Suunto, really like the features and sleekness of them, but I've seen too many friends break the pins or had the batteries die on them at inopportune times for what they cost.

I have a Suunto X-lander. Great watch with plenty of features. I had planned on doing a lot more hiking and camping but with 4 children under 8 years old that's not going to happen. In hind sight I should have bought a Marathon TSAR Basic features your looking for. I work at night and have to reference time often so the tritium vials are a nice feature. A nice meaty dive watch for under $500. It will be the next one I get.

I'm really liking the Marathon, good looking watch!

It will be for everyday wear. It needs to be durable, water resistant(occasional swim), give me the date and time, and look good too. Any features beyond that is not crucial, I do a lot of backcountry hunting so altimeter would be cool but my Garmin and cell phone can do that. I've had Seiko's for the past 10 years and would like to upgrade to something with alittle more "Tactical" look to it. Analogue or digital doesn't matter to me, I just want something to last if I'm going to spend over $400.

Edit: Was writing this and missed the above TSAR suggestion. The GSAR is the Automatic version.

I don't have experience with either watch, but used suuntos for years until I discovered the Marathon GSAR, and I absolutely love it. The bracelet is top of the line, and there are a massive amount of aftermarket strap options. I wear at work with a suit (stainless bracelet) and in the field when training (custom nylon strap by GasGas Bones out of England.) It's an automatic, so no need for battery, and gives the watch a little character. Dial has tritium tubes at each hour marker and on minute & hour hands so it's always visible in any light condition.

The watch was designed for search and rescue and is a tank (300m dive rating.) A lot of watch "gurus" get hesitant about beating on an automatic watch, but not this guy. I've jumped from planes, repelled out of helos, rucked, swam, shot, fallen down, dropped the watch on concrete and lost it in a duffle bag of equipment. It's still ticking and maintaing accuracy at about 20 secs fast a day.

They can be found for less than $750 with the bracelet on the used market. If you decide to go this route I can help you navigate a few forums where I have bought and sold watches in the past.

Here are some pics. They are not mine.

4814991791_08f18b2e65.jpg

gsar05.jpg

6121868124_67ff5c2411_z.jpg

For that price point and feature list( date and day time and waterproof with illumination), I am awfully happy with my Luminox. It's not the tactical seal version but the field model. Tough as hell so far for me. 2 years now.

marathon are great watches, very much a smart buy in that price range. if you are looking for something sleeker or less tactical, check out sinn watches. the watches they make at your stated price point are very competitive.

I have a Marathon TSAR. It's a great watch. I like the tritium because the glow in the dark lume never seems to last for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love my Citizen Eco Drive. I wear it 24/7, including in the water, and never had any problems. They make some all-black ones that look pretty old-school tactical. I got one with a perpetual calendar, that's a really convenient feature.

I'm one of those people that hates wearing a digital watch.

This is the one I have:
    BL5470-57L_full.jpg

This is the kind of stuff you can get from them that might be what you're looking for (Promaster Diver):
    BN0000-04H_full.jpg