• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Watch out - ticks are out inTexas

superde

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2003
Bryan, Texas
Shot a small bore yesterday (80 lbs), and decided to clean him for some free meat. Started cutting along the belly to skin him, and there were about 20 deer ticks crawling around in between his legs. I took off the rubber gloves, put my knife in the back of my truck, and checked myself. Looks like I got away unscathed. I thought fire ants had taken care of most of them, but maybe they are making a comeback?

Re: Watch out - ticks are out inTexas

There not going anywhere for a while. Glad to hear your using gloves on the boar. There carrying all sorts of nasty things these days.

Every deer, and especially pigs, I've shot had ticks on the bottom of them between their legs. I'll be careful when skinning them to get all their carcus into the gut bucket and dump it right after I'm done. And +1 on gloves.

I had a friend who wanted a few to make sausage out of last fall. We shot two approx. 150 lb sows that we cleaned, and they didn't have any ticks thay we could see. I'm sure it being Spring has a lot to do with it.

I actually wear palpating gloves with rubber gloves over them. When your done you have very little blood, if any, on you. As well as you keep any possible diseases hopefully away.

Super where are you hog hunting at? I live in College Station, and I've been wanting to go sometime this Spring. PM me if you wanna get together some weekend.

-Hutch

Ticks are out in New Mexico also - we took a big jack rabbit the other day and the in-sides of its ears were full of them little bastards!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dhutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Super where are you hog hunting at? I live in College Station, and I've been wanting to go sometime this Spring. PM me if you wanna get together some weekend.

-Hutch </div></div>

Hutch,

I'm a rancher, and our land is around Calvert.

I usually carry a rifle with me while working. I'll have to see when the next evening hunt is going to be...A friend or 2 and I usually go out on a Saturday night.

my pard shot a runner this past Feb...it was freezing fog....when we got to her....her belly was covered up w/swarming ticks........we did'nt bring home the bacon that day...

Yeah...the little bastards are out in Kansas as well...just in time for turkey season....time to Frontline the dogs and spray down the boots and pant legs...I HATE ticks...

Hell I have pulled at least 7 allready embedded off me this year allready of the hundred or so found, its par norm for stompn round as much as I do here.