• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Watches ??

Huntinfool

Private
Minuteman
Hey all of you watch people. I'm thinking of dropping a few bills on a new watch.

I kind of like this model of Luminox ....

http://tacticalwatch.com/product-luminox-black-ops-black-ops-8402-watches_58.html

What do ya'll think about it I don't need a watch with all the bells and whistles. I know it can be found cheaper on the net but not by an Authorized Luminox Dealer I was told by the Luminox folks that the two year warranty wouldn't be recognized if I bought through Amazon.

~HF~

Re: Watches ??

I picked up my Luminox at Bass pro shop, that thing is bright and well worth the money. I wore my Tag last week while I was out of town and I had to struggle to see the hands when I woke up in the middle of the night.
SScott

Have you looked at the SUUNTO military line of watches? Wore an X-Lander military on tour, worked great and survived the hardest environments. They are reputed to be the "Rolex" of digital watches.

Steer clear of luminox, they don't hold up worth a shit. Had several, expensive to keep replacing when they take a crap just after the warranty expires.

Dont waste youre money on the luminox.
Get a Marathon its afew bucks more but you wont have any issues.

Also had a luminox hand fall off, go loose and another cracked the face, both lost bezels.
I quit buying expensive watches several years back. My $40 casio pathfinder/fishing-timer watch has lasted longer, been thru more and hasn't popped while diving, yet. I use the heck out of the sunrise/sunset times and the moon phase for reminding me when it's gonna be light at night for deer/coyote callin,etc. Been 3 years now, and have yet to need the spare that's sittin in the safe. Waiting for them to come out with a pathfinder paw with both sunrise/set times AND moon phase.

I bought a Navy Seal at military clothing on Camp Foster with some hesitation about the Trident on it (I didn't earn it, after all). I decided I wanted a tritium analog watch bad enough that I would just deal with it. I was told by Luminox that my 2 year warranty didn't cover the crystal I broke on a FTX. They wanted $75 to fix it, so I just got a different watch.

I now wear an Adanac Navigator II. It's great, and has a compass, for whatever that's worth.

does anyone need a slightly used Luminox "Navy Seal"? All black with no band. there is a little moisture inside the bezel... :p

Casio Pathfinder is exactly what the Precision Shooter needs in the field, great watch, blacked out available, that is if you don't want to use the Suunto, which I am kinda tired of... for plain old use I like the Lum-Tec Combat B13, when I don't want bells and whistles.

But honestly after chasing watches around the Casio is the way to go.

Casio Pathfinder is what I got.

works like a champ.

John

I own two Luminox watches the #7051 and #3901 neither one has given me any problems after six years. I dont beat the shit out of them but i dont baby them either.

I bought a nice Seiko watch once; after a year it was all scratched to hell. I don't wear a watch anymore, but if I did it would be a $40 Casio.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Casio Pathfinder is exactly what the Precision Shooter needs in the field, great watch, blacked out available, that is if you don't want to use the Suunto, which I am kinda tired of... for plain old use I like the Lum-Tec Combat B13, when I don't want bells and whistles.

But honestly after chasing watches around the Casio is the way to go. </div></div>

Good choice in watches LL.

Pathfinder with the titanium bracelet:

http://www.consumerwatchreport.com/paw1300t-7v.html

and the Lum-Tec is a torch.

i use a realy cheap watch that has a quick release band for work (i would rather lose the watch than lose my hand if it got cought in any machinery) and use a traser code blue outside of work. the traser keeps perfect time.

Had a Suunto stainless observer $350 - great watch, crappy band. The plastic in the band breaks in less than two years and costs $100 to replace

Just got a Victorinox Dive Master 500 - AWESOME. Plain and tough watch around $500. Although non-tritium, the lume glows all night.

I got a Casio Twin Sensor. Its great for work, I use the alarms frequently. The compas is accurate, but the thermometer is kind of useless, being worn keeps it reading close to body temp. Not sure the 6 million time zones is necessary, but the face is large and I rarely need the indiglo function as I can usually make out the time even in low lighting conditions.

Marathons are the shit,, I find myself wearing a Suunto Core all black most of the time though..

I'm wearing a Marathon J-Sar (jumbo) and I beat the piss out of it and shes still going after 4 years. Had a Marathon T-Sar (tritium) and did the same to it but got rid of it because I wanted to go bigger.

Go Marathon and don't look back
Derrick

I wear a casio G-shock, and always will. It has a solar powered battery and is atomic so i never have to worry about the batteries. I have actually never taken it off since i bought it over a year ago. Best $100 i've spent in a real long time.
smile.gif

I'm also looking right now. Stay away from the Traser. I broke a Traser the first week. I very lightly bumped up against a metal post and the crystal shattered. Wasn't covered in warranty and their "designed repair facility" wanted $120 to fix the $220 watch. A rip.
I've had a Luminox and you can almost read at night...you can certainly find your way around an unfamiliar hotel room. (I guess you could also be spotted a mile away which might be a problem.)
Can't bet a Casio G-shock for taking the punishment.
I may go back to a Luminox but after reading these posts I'm going to look at the Marathon and Suunto.

I was quite the watch fiend for many years. I've owned a ton of them, but sold most off as it was getting to be quite ridiculous.

My favorite "beater functional" watches are these: (not in order)

1. Tissot T-touch (which I really do hate to beat up.. but it takes it)
2. Suunto Vector (simplicity, durability, function)
3. Suunto Core (advanced sensors, durability, function)
4. Marathon T-SAR (OUTSTANDING durability)
5. Casio Pathfinders (function, reliability, and <span style="text-decoration: underline">WARRANTY</span>)

There are other good ones, but these five are just outstanding watches!

Hope this helps,

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sackett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">enough with all the words...post some pics of your watches! </div></div>

If I recall, I made this exact thread a few years ago lol or at least posted a shitload in it...

Pathfinder all the way.

If your paying out of pocket then Suunto is not worth it.

Just google the manual and read up on it.

"dont press buttons underwater, dont expose face to sunlight for prolonged periods of time, etc."

That was enough for me to take it off my wrist and chuck it back in my flight bag.

I got a Suunto Core for Christmas. Even inside the un-opened box I saw a huge scratch on the lens. I took it back to REI, got a new one. I put it on in the parking lot, watch went dead after four hours. I took it back to REI, they put a battery in it. It ran for another four hours and quit. I took it back that same day, the put another battery in it. I returned it and got a Pathfinder PAW-1500. All is well, no issues.

For edc I have a victorinox dive master 500 titanium. It is a good edc watch and ALOT lighter than the sea dweller (like wearing a brick).

If you don't need 'bells and whistles', for everyday use I find a Schaffhausen Caliber 52 to be ideal: In 1888, IWC introduced its Calibre movement, which evolved to the famous Calibre 52 in 1893. With modifications this movement survived until 1940. Almost 300,000 examples were produced over 54 years, which far exceed any other IWC pocket watch movement.

In contrast, approximately only 52,500 examples of this Calibre 73 movement were made from 1913 to 1930. The movement had 16 jewels, was relatively thin and 38 mm in diameter. A "finger-bridge" movement, this calibre was frequently found in cases with intricate gold work, most commonly in the late 1920s:
IMG_3498.jpg

Oh, you wanted a Casio.....nevermind.
laugh.gif

I wear a Seiko Automatic Dive watch that I've had now for 25 years. That's right 25 years!
I've replaced the band perhaps half a dozen times (use cheap Spidel rubber 22mm bands $8.95 each and last for years) and have had it cleaned three times in all those years. That's it. Oh, the crystal has some scratches, and it's not as luminous as it once was (forget seeing what time it is in the middle of the night).
I look at other watches and think about buying a new one, but it just wouldn't seem right since the old Seiko still keeps time perfectly. it will be my sons someday since I'm certain it will outlast me.

Danny

what ever you do, for a field watch always get a domed crystal. Flat crystals reflect like mirror and can attract unwanted attention.
smile.gif

I'm really disappointed in my Casio G-Shock DW 6900. I've only had the watch for 10 years and I've had to replace the band once, the battery twice and just last weekend the "G" button popped off the front. I really expect more out of a $60 watch.

It does keep good time though.

"I wear a Seiko Automatic Dive watch that I've had now for 25 years. That's right 25 years!
I've replaced the band perhaps half a dozen times (use cheap Spidel rubber 22mm bands $8.95 each and last for years) and have had it cleaned three times in all those years. That's it. Oh, the crystal has some scratches, and it's not as luminous as it once was (forget seeing what time it is in the middle of the night).
I look at other watches and think about buying a new one, but it just wouldn't seem right since the old Seiko still keeps time perfectly. it will be my sons someday since I'm certain it will outlast me.

Danny"

Seiko 6309-7040? They are great watche's, last forever and are completely rebuildable to look brand new. I have refurbed a few and am wearing one right now.

Broke a Traser: Carbon fiber case is a joke, it broke at the lug.

Broke a couple Seiko automatics: Busted the crystal on one, broke the hand off another.

Broke several Citizens: Broke the crystal on all 3.

G-shock Mudman is solid as hell. No issues there.

Victorinox DiverMaster 500 is solid
Omega Seamasters are G2G as well

+1 on Gshock mudman watches. Have had the same one through Iraq and Afghanistan. Used and abused and not one issue with it.

+ 1 marathon and gshock.
Sunnto or luminox if you only need it for a little

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRAShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a beater, you can't beat the Luminox Navy Seal watch. </div></div>
I agree but dont break it because it will be cheaper to buy a new one than fix it.
also the amount of brain damage you recieve from there shitty cust service is always enjoyable I would rather have my crank slammed in a car door a dozen times than buy that crap again.
Oh yeah and the warranty that doesnt cover anything now thats quality and peace of mind . For what its worth a piece of 9mm brass bounced off a barrier and cracked the crystal and yeah that voided the warranty.
Thats where the fun started with that quality company .
But I get the last laugh because im sure they forgot about our experiance but with the net I can share my experiance with countless people on so many forums .

I got a Luminox blackout from LApolicegear about six months ago and really like it. It has the most comfortable rubber band I have worn, and its very light. If you dont need all the bells and whistles Its worth it. If you want a bit more the pathfinders and suunto's are what i would pick.

The gshock watches are great for the money. Bought a lot of expensive watches and ended up with a gshock . A watch is used to tell time.