• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Watches ??

Re: Watches ??

a bit off from the OP but...
I've also been looking for a good watch with altimeter, barometer function and stumbled over this post.
Pathfinder PAW2000 now ordered. THANKS!

I've been wearing the Path Finder for over a year now and had no problems with it. My other go to watch is the Iron Man by Timex.

I got myself a Casio Reverse PAW1300Y-1VCR LCD Atomic Pathfinder Watch for a Xmas gift for myself from Amazon.com this year and its been a great watch for me, looks decent for a digital watch and not as huge as some of the other Pathfinder watches, i've worn it everyday since I bought it and have yet to have a problem, got a few light scratches on it but I wear it at work so it's taken some punishment in a 4 month period.

Casio-PAW1300Y-1VCR.jpg
51YAhcHnVnL._SL500_.jpg

I really like my Pathfinder but not having dual time zones is pushing me to the Suunto. I work off of zulu time but my office works off of local time. It's simple math but would it be nice to have both times in the display. It would help cut down on the possibility of an error (which as happened).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helidriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like my Pathfinder but not having dual time zones is pushing me to the Suunto. I work off of zulu time but my office works off of local time. It's simple math but would it be nice to have both times in the display. It would help cut down on the possibility of an error (which as happened).</div></div> Which Pathfinder model do you have? My PAW-1300T has a very nice world time feature including Kabul's weird +4.5hr time zone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helidriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like my Pathfinder but not having dual time zones is pushing me to the Suunto. I work off of zulu time but my office works off of local time. It's simple math but would it be nice to have both times in the display. It would help cut down on the possibility of an error (which as happened).</div></div> Which Pathfinder model do you have? My PAW-1300T has a very nice world time feature including Kabul's weird +4.5hr time zone. </div></div>

The back of mine says PAG-40. I don't know the differences between the different models.

Question for those of you with the PAW 2000. Which band did you get, & why. I'm going to get one of these soon, but I'm leaning toward the titanium because I don't realy like a buckle type fastener, but I do like the durabillity of the resin band.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RAYE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you looked at the SUUNTO military line of watches? Wore an X-Lander military on tour, worked great and survived the hardest environments. They are reputed to be the "Rolex" of digital watches.</div></div>

I have both - the Suunto X-Lander, and Suunto Vector. Both are identical in features, just the X-Lander is more pimp in materials -( crystal, carbon fiber back, aluminum case )

That being said I love them both, but the Vector takes the cake as far as abuse. I have wore this thing to work for over 7 yrs ( I transport heavy equipment so I'm always bumping into sharp steel edges securing down machines), shoot all my matches with it, hike and fish etc, and this thing won't break. Ive changed the battery twice. Thats it. Also if you scratch the face, a lil toothpaste fixes it up pretty good.

AND for the price of an X-Lander, you can have 2 Vectors. When the Vector or X-Lander finally give up the Ghost, I'm not even gonna look. I'm gonna get another Vector.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helidriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helidriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like my Pathfinder but not having dual time zones is pushing me to the Suunto. I work off of zulu time but my office works off of local time. It's simple math but would it be nice to have both times in the display. It would help cut down on the possibility of an error (which as happened).</div></div> Which Pathfinder model do you have? My PAW-1300T has a very nice world time feature including Kabul's weird +4.5hr time zone. </div></div>

The back of mine says PAG-40. I don't know the differences between the different models.</div></div> That's one of the older models. Mine has every time zone I could ever want, and in world time mode (two steps from the main mode) it shows what city you're on such as "NYC" or "GMT", the different time zone in large digits and local time in small digits. 24hr time readout is also a capability.

The newer ones really are one hell of a tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question for those of you with the PAW 2000. Which band did you get, & why. I'm going to get one of these soon, but I'm leaning toward the titanium because I don't realy like a buckle type fastener, but I do like the durabillity of the resin band.</div></div> 1300 here for 2+ years. Go titanium and don't look back. It will outlast every resin band out there and it cleans up easily too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RAYE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you looked at the SUUNTO military line of watches? Wore an X-Lander military on tour, worked great and survived the hardest environments. They are reputed to be the "Rolex" of digital watches. </div></div>

Another vote for SUUNTO...very versatile!

Rolex Sea Dweller in stainless... sure it's pricey but it's your one piece of man jewelery for life right? Plus it stands a chance of appreciating rather than wearing out.

Had a Luminox a few years ago, just like one member said be prepared to buy another after the warranty runs out plus I think the dial is to small. I will tell you what I am very impressed with is my full titanium chronograph Swiss army watch had it for 4 yrs with no problems. The hands fall directly on the hash marks precisely keeps perfect time and when you set the time it will stop the second hand in till you push the crown in, and crystal is bullet proof not one scratch in 4 yrs. It is not cheap around $ 450.00 but its light accurate and has a dull Ti finish for non glare, is the most impressive watch I have owned and the face is way larger than a Luminox, check it out I gurrantee you will be impressed.

Sunto Observer.

They had some issue couple years back but they got them worked out. Purchased one a year ago. No issues, still on the original battery. When the battery is ready to be replaced I can run to Walgreens and do it myself. It's been worn everyday, work, fishing, hiking, shooting, yard work and still looks new.

Update to my previous posts.

I just picked up a 5.11 Field Watch with bal calc

It seems like a nice watch.

Good:
Comfortable
Good compass
Decent ballistic calc

Bad:
Very hard to read the face of the watch without the illumination on
Won't show date and time at the same time

I wish my Mudman had a compass!

If it is to look cool you can get something fancy. I used a casio G shock when I was active duty. never had a problem. Had a few others crap out that people said were high speed low drag. Guess what the Gshock was always there and never let me down. I still have it. I wear a good looking watch now because someone bought it for me becasue she thought the other watch I had looked cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question for those of you with the PAW 2000. Which band did you get, & why. I'm going to get one of these soon, but I'm leaning toward the titanium because I don't realy like a buckle type fastener, but I do like the durabillity of the resin band. </div></div>

got a maratac zulu 2 ring and 5 ring. the zulu bands are durable and comfy. find my self wearing the 5 ring not really sure why maybe just the look.

Almost won a JSAR on egay. I was the ONLY bidder, until last 5 minutes of course. Obviously the seller had a fake account, and fluffed it way beyond what I was willing to pay. Even had nerve to "offer" it to me and my original bid as he had "more" laying around.

I have the same composite Maratac strap on my Luminox. Love it.

I have owned both the G shock and the Suunto Vector. Used both in deployments to Iraq. Both worked reliably without any issues. I liked the illumination of the G-Shock better than the Suunto but I have been using the Suunto as my daily wear for a couple of years now. It is slightly more comfortable and I love having the internal compass for quick reference. Still prefer using an old fashioned lensatic and map over the compass on the Suunto even though it is supposed to be + or - 3 degrees accurate. You can't go wrong with either watch.

got one this weekend.
Pros thin solar power and nevers needs to be timed
Cons the compass has a 11 degrees float on it I wish it was right on. The temp senor you have to subtract about 7-9 degree for your own body temp to right.

would I buy another one yes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TigernLionGSP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">got one this weekend.
Cons the compass has a 11 degrees float on it I wish it was right on. The temp senor you have to subtract about 7-9 degree for your own body temp to right.

</div></div> The thermometer on a Pathfinder will be more off than that when you get to the extreme temperatures. The only way it will be accurate is to take it off and have it in open air for at least fifteen minutes. I actually find it easier to use the Pathfinder's barometer along with a small zipper thermometer for temperature readings for DA calculations than the thermometer on the watch.

I haven't tried to use the compass to that much accuracy, more of a cardinal direction indicator than anything for me. What do you mean by "float"? You mean its accuracy has a 11* margin of error, or are you talking about G-M offset?

I guess I need to break out the lensatic and compare it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TigernLionGSP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">got one this weekend.

</div></div>

Can you calibrate the compass on your model so it would read properly? On my Sunto Core I can calibrate the compass manually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harleymann02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got myself a Casio Reverse PAW1300Y-1VCR LCD Atomic Pathfinder Watch for a Xmas gift for myself from Amazon.com this year and its been a great watch for me, looks decent for a digital watch and not as huge as some of the other Pathfinder watches, i've worn it everyday since I bought it and have yet to have a problem, got a few light scratches on it but I wear it at work so it's taken some punishment in a 4 month period.

Casio-PAW1300Y-1VCR.jpg
51YAhcHnVnL._SL500_.jpg
</div></div>

Outstanding watch. Mines been into hell and back out a few times now
smile.gif

I've had a couple of Casio tri-sensors - worked great til the battery ran down. Never worked the same after battery replacement. Digi compass works good with GPS in field.
Watches don't last too long with me, these Casios are a good investment for the time they last.

Like the Casio. Rolex? If I had that kinda money to drop on a watch...I wouldn't. But for the sake of argument, I would go Kobold instead.

Wow you guys are some high rollers!

I wore the issue watch when I was in the service. Bought a cheapie timex copy when I got out. Finally my wife bought me a 60 dollar automatic Seiko last Christmas.

I'd bust a real high dollar watch in a heartbeat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'd bust a real high dollar watch in a heartbeat. </div></div>

Thats what is nice about some high end watches...they last. Been wearing the same model Rolex that our Montana friend just got from our Arkansas friend for over 10 yrs now and no issues. A friend of mine has the same watch and has worn it daily even in his cabinet shop and hasnt had an issue. My el cheapo watches tend to break after a year or two, if they go that long....and I sure cant sell them for anything near what I paid for them vs a Rolex that I can sell for MORE than I paid. Funny how that works.

Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust built ~1965 and it made it through three tours in Vietnam with my Pop as a SF soldier, I've had it on my wrist since 1994 and I expect to give it to my son when I die.

PANERAI or ROLEX either will take a beating and look good doing it.
photo.jpg

Rolexes, a couple

I personally continue to like the Rolex sports watches, as you can wear them with a suit or in shorts in a jeep.

Here are two I bought last year, a GMT II Ceramic, and a Submariner Green Ceramic. Prices went up tremendously on May 10 across the board on Rolex watches, and I managed to buy a submariner on the last day but have not yet taken its picture.
gmt-II-Ceramic006.jpg

116610VRolexGreenCeramicSub001.jpg

Re: Rolexes, a couple

This has been my daily driver for the last 10 years. From .22lr to .50BMG, at work 40ft up in the air during electrical storms or 20 feet underground when it was 25 below. It's changed fuel pumps, done tune ups an break jobs. I've even put cigars out on the sapphire crystal to impress the ladies.

I've gotten my monies worth our of it. Best gift I got on my 22nd b-day!

000_0108.jpg

Hey Rolex, You're Ego may have been 40 feet in the air, but YOU haven't seen 40 feet up in years! Maybe the scale is different in North Hammond!

Recently (today) did some Rolex shopping myself. Have loved watches since I was a kid and have had many. Nicest one I have had is my Omega sea master. Got it about 7 years ago, and think I am ready to take the plunge with the Rolex GMT II. Originally thinking I was going to go with the Submariner but it seems everyone and their brother has one. Since the GMT is pretty much the same watch I think I will go with it. Can not believe I am about to spend this much coin on a watch!!!

Out of all the Rolex watches, yeah, the Sub is probably the most popular. A two tone gold/blue was my first one, but quickly realized you just cant wear that one daily...or at least I couldnt. So I got a stainless/black next. Its on the wrist as I type and resides there pretty much every day for the last 10 yrs or so. Still could almost pass for new (some small scuffs on the band would give it away). I finally got the GMT for my 3rd one, black/gold.

IF you are going to get one, get it ASAP as they just dont get cheaper. Luckily I got all of mine years ago and got the two tones for less than a stainless goes for today. Really got a deal on my wife's 2 tone!! And yeah, if someone has a Rolex the odds are its a SS sub as its probably the most popular one and probably the least costly too. If you really like the GMT, get it, but I would suggest that its the one you REALLY want and not base it on what everyone and their brother might have (in reality, very few folks sport Rolexes...for good reason, the frickin cost!). Oh, and yeah, you are going to about be sick in your stomach when you drop the coin on it, but after a day or so, thats all gone. Been there, done that, 4 times. Besides, I drop more on guns and dont seem to even blink at that! Go figure.

If you want one, buy one, you can always sell it later for more than you paid for it....been that way as long as I have dealt with them.

John