• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Water spots on my brass after SS media

Glennp

Private
Minuteman
Hey, im getting strange water spots on my brass. Im tumbling with the usual: 2tbs dawn dish soap, 1/4tsp lemi-shine. Im air drying the brass after rinshing it alot. I get spots after about a full day of drying even though its "dry" and spotless way before that. Its strange ebcause it appears dry and spotless after several hours drying, then after several more hours I get these little darkspots.

Anyone know whats goin on?

Re: Water spots on my brass after SS media

Wouldnt worry about it. After you size the cases tumble in corncob to get the lube off and itll look like gold.

I get the same thing after I have ultrasonic cleaned it.

Its fine and doesnt do anything bad

I think you have water spots caused by minerals in your water supply.

I do a short tumble with corn cob and brass polish to get rid of that and put a thin coat of polish on the brass.

I think a thin coat of polish prevents tarnish problems on brass that is reloaded and stored long term.

Good shooting

Ron

Try distilled water.

Try a little more Lemi Shine! It's problay from hard water.

Terry

Air drying it will do that even with distilled water. The best thing to do in my experience is to get a hairdryer on the cheap from kmart and dry it in a tupperware container.

I originally did this because I was impatient about it drying so long in the sun. What I do is separate from media, then dump the brass in a towel and roll it around in it to remove most of the moisture on the outside, this helps drying faster. Then hold a 1875w hair dryer on hot over a small area of brass for around 15 seconds, and after doing it to all the brass ( I do lots of 100) put it back in a towel and do the aforementioned shaking.

My thought process is "If it's hot enough to evaporate water on the outside on contact, it sure as hell is hot enough on the inside and near the primer pockets."

Your mileage may vary.