• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Waterproof Hard use mildly insulated outerwear

toddconley

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
Kentucky
I am looking for some mildly insulated waterproof outerwear. I can layer under it if I need to. Pants and coat. I have looked at krptic and I am leaning that way. Underarmor makes some stuff. I am going to hunt in it, shoot matches in it and do whatever else l need to in it. I want it tough. I don't care if it is camo or not as long as it is green or brown. I am willing to spend a reasonable price. I just want it to last. I wear browning wool all the time now but I want that waterproof portion and also toughness. What other stuff should I look at?
Thanks!
T

Re: Waterproof Hard use mildly insulated outerwear

River west makes a fairly thin line of outerwear that may be what your looking for. Its quiet and durable , but takes along time to dry,and seems to" sweat" inside if you get warm.

have you heard of ruff tech woodlands tx mosquitoe prove

Arctery'x and TAD both design outerwear that is really tough. They cost some $$$, but worth the price IMO.

Arcteryx is arguably the best option that comes in the colors you want. Sitka is another brand worth looking at if Arcteryx is out of your budget.

I had a side by side comparison of Arcteryx and REIs Shuksan jacket. If you're flexible on colour then the REI option is cheaper, better breathability and according to reviews, harder wearing.

Just got the latest generation of ECWCS gore tex to work in. Doesn't seem as tough and heavy as the previous generations, but it is great in the rain. The water repellent on top of the goretex is superior to the older heavier models that seemed to get saturated in heavy rain

I would recommend NOT insulated completely then its is something that can be worn just about all year long (like you said, you can layer under it).

Many companies including Cabelas Dry Plus, Gander Mtn Tech H20, and anyone having an actual Goretex label are good product without breaking the bank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: i_rep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would recommend NOT insulated completely then its is something that can be worn just about all year long (like you said, you can layer under it).

Many companies including Cabelas Dry Plus, Gander Mtn Tech H20, and anyone having an actual Goretex label are good product without breaking the bank. </div></div>

Roger that.
Buy bigger and layer insulation accordingly.

Arctryx Leaf(tatical) is nice, but you could buy 2-3:1 in other brands.....They all rip if you dive on a sharp stick.

If you want something camo/gortex/reasonable try the Browning Hydro fleece. Seems to stand up very well for the money.

Rivers West or Sitka gear is quite good and lightweight.

Cabela's has THE largest selection of this kind of gear you'll ever find. Try to get Gore-Tex clothing. It breathes far better.

In my opinion after years of being a deer outfitter in the midwest and being in the rain/snow constantly, the two that stand out to me is Sitka Gear and Rivers West. They take abuse and keep you dry. Much time on your knees is going to cause every kind of rain gear to become less effective.

Someone familiar with Alaskan Hunts will have great advice if they can ring in...

I should mention that I live in and hunt the coastal rainforests of British Columbia...The area I hunt gets from 200 to 300 inches of rain a year....Here you can either be dry or wet and miserable.
The Kenai peninsula in Alaska gets about 1/2 the rain we do.

FWIW Helly Hanson was the only thing that used to work before Gortex came out with the "Guaranteed to Keep You Dry" standard.

Peace

If you do more moving than sitting still, get the Sitka. When used with a good quality base layer like Under Armour it works great. If you'll be stationaty more (shooting, glassing) then River's West is hard to beat for rugged weatherproof gear. The problem with it is that it doesn't breathe at all.